Advanced Typography / Task 3: Design Exploration and Application
27.5.2022 - 1.7.2022 (Week 9 - Week 14)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3: Design Exploration and Application
The second application is a staff's t-shirt. As I wanted to retain the old
school style, I had chosen a plain white t-shirt.
I found another image that is more simple and looks more like a kopitiam. I
changed the image I was previously using into this.
I created a few designs of the shop sign in Illustrator. The designs does look
better on this image.
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3: Design Exploration and Application
Jump Links
- LECTURES
- INSTRUCTIONS
- Task 3: Design Exploration and Application
- FEEDBACK
- REFLECTION
- FURTHER READING
LECTURES
All lecture 1-5 are completed in Task 1: Exercises.
INSTRUCTIONS
Task 3: Design Exploration and Application
1. Proposal
Fig 1.1 Chosen Idea (3.6.2022)
I realized that many Chinese style designs do not have a complementary Latin
typeface that suits the Chinese characters. They either use some typical
serif/sans serif typefaces, or typefaces like Wonton that do not seem to look
Chinese.
I suddenly had an idea of creating a clerical script inspired typeface, as I
felt that it has more potential to be designed as a Latin typeface.
2. Sketch
Fig 1.2 One of the pages of the clerical script copybook (3.6.2022)
I have a copybook of the clerical script published by my high school (Hin Hua
High School), which includes a few styles of the script and some tips of
writing the characters. I also watched some videos of how the strokes are
written to better observe the shapes.
Fig 1.3 First sketch (3.6.2022)
I tried sketching out the letters "O-A-T-H" referring to different Chinese
characters written in the clerical script. However, they seem to be too
similar to the Chinese calligraphy brush strokes, which looks awkward to
me.
Fig 1.4 Second sketch (4.6.2022)
I was just sketching freely on my notebook as I was thinking of a better
solution. Suddenly, I had an idea of drawing a 4×3 grid to get the extended
letterforms. Then I began sketching out a few letters. I like this better than
the first sketch. I decided to maintain the extended characteristic of the
clerical script. The strokes of the final typeface are slightly curved
inwards. I got the idea while sketching out the letter I.
3. Digitizing and Generating
Fig 1.5 Grids to construct letterforms (.6.2022)
I have created grids so that I can maintain a similar width for the
letterforms. The standard dimension of the letters is 4×3 cells. For letters
like I, L, M, W, the width will be decreased or increased. The thickness of
the vertical strokes is one cell.
Fig 1.6 First draft (10.6.2022)
I only managed to complete 15 letters in week 11, the above is the outcome.
Instead of making the strokes identical to Chinese scripts, I simplified it
and make the strokes slightly bent inwards to mimic the characteristic of
brush strokes.
Fig 1.7 Letter "C" (12.6.2022)
I was given feedback that the top section of the letters C, E, F, G and J do
not seem to be like part of the letters. So, I tried editing the shape. The
one on the left is the first version. I made the shape more alike to one of
the characteristics of the clerical script, and adjusted the shape from
it.
Fig 1.8 Letter "D" (12.6.2022)
For the curved parts like the letter D, I made them curve even more. The upper
part also slightly overshoots the cap line to make the curve more
obvious.
Fig 1.9 Workspace (17.6.2022)
My workspace is packed as I do not delete the process of developing each
letterforms in case I need them afterwards. What I do to "tidy up" is to put
them in another layer and hide the layer to have more space.
Fig 1.10 Final Type Design - Kopitiam (17.6.2022)
I planned to use my typeface for kopitiams (coffee shops), and I eventually
felt that I should name the typeface "Kopitam" for some reasons. The typeface
looks best in large point size and short line length due to its extended
characteristic.
Generating Typeface
Fig 1.11 Generating typeface in FontForge (19.6.2022)
I used FontForge to generate my typeface. Since I am only designing uppercase
letters for this task, I added them into the lowercase letters cells so that
the letters will appear even not typing in capital letters.
Fig 1.12 Scaling (19.6.2022)
Some letters are imported larger or smaller in size. So, I scaled them up and
down manually to get all of them in the same size.
Fig 1.13 Kerning Letters (19.6.2022)
After placing all the letters, numbers and punctuations into their respective
cells, I kerned them. The software actually automatically kerns the letters
just by a few clicks, but I also checked them and adjusted a little in the
metrics tab.
Try out the typeface here! :D
Link to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16mQSBceOu6cW5B3WnrfO9AXTom0w66ne/view?usp=sharing
4. Application
Fig 1.14 "Eng Ho Hainam Kopitiam" (20.6.2022)
As I mentioned earlier, I will be using my typeface for kopitiams. I decided
to name my kopitiam "Eng Ho Hainam Kopitiam"(永和海南茶店). The word "Eng Ho"
is translated from Hokkien, written as "永和" (yǒng hé) in Chinese, which the two characters mean "forever" and "peace"
respectively. I used an online font generator to generate the Chinese words
that suits my typeface.
Application 1 - Cup and Saucer
The coffee cups in kopitiams are very iconic, so I decided to apply my
typeface on a cup and a saucer. I downloaded the white coffee cup image from
Unsplash and edited it in Photoshop.
Fig 1.16 Warping text (21.6.2022)
I recolored the cup and the saucer into a light yellow to mimic the typical
kopitiam cup. Then, I warped the green text on the cup using the warp
tool.
Fig 1.17 Creating scratches on the text (21.6.2022)
Since the text is printed on, it will eventually have some scratches. I tried
making the scratches using the eraser tool, and I quite like how it turns out.
The process somehow reminds me of the type and image exercise.
Fig 1.18 Text and scratches on saucer (21.6.2022)
I repeated the steps for the saucer. Perspective warp tool and a little bit of
gaussian blur was being used for the text on the saucer.
Fig 1.19 Edited background color (21.6.2022)
Mr Vinod emphasized that the color of our images should be almost the same to
make them look like a set. So, I changed the background color of the original
image.
Application 2 - Staff's T-shirt
Fig 1.20 T-shirt created by rawpixels on Freepik (21.6.2022)
Fig 1.21 Front design (21.6.2022)
The front design of the t-shirt is very simple as it is a staff's t-shirt
instead of a fashion clothing, with a seal writing "永和" and the word "ENG
HO" below.
Fig 1.22 Back Design (21.6.2022)
I realized that some Chinese old school designs tend to have the text
arranged as an arc. So, I tried adding that into the back design.
Fig 1.23 Staff's T-shirt (21.6.2022)
I had also warped the text slightly to match the folds of the t-shirt. The
above is the outcome.
Application 3 - Shop Sign
Fig 1.24 Shop sign created by rawpixels on Freepik (22.6.2022)
I don't want to use pictures from Google as I am concerned of the copyright
issues. I only managed to find one that could possibly look like a
kopitiam.
Fig 1.25 Shop Sign 1 (22.6.2022)
This is the design that I came up with, but I think it doesn't look right.
Mr Vinod said that it doesn't seem real, and he suggested me to change
another image.
Fig 1.26 Shop Sign created by freepik on Freepik (29.6.2022)
Fig 1.27 Shop sign designs (29.6.2022)
Fig 1.28 Final shop sign (30.6.2022)
I had chosen this as final out of the six designs as I like it the
most.
Application 4 - Menu
Fig 1.29 Menu 1 (22.6.2022)
I designed the poster in Illustrator. I found it challenging to design an
old school menu for kopitiams, and I was trying to not be dependent on
graphical elements.
Fig 1.30 Menu simulation (22.6.2022)
I wanted to create a laminated effect at first, like the menu in many
kopitiams. However, I did not manage to find a free mockup image of it. So,
I laid the menu down flat and added shadow to it.
Fig 1.31 Menu layout (30.6.2022)
I made another few layouts, these are the ones that I am more satisfied
with. I removed the images that the menu had previously as I felt that they
made the design rather distasteful. The two layouts are basically the same,
one with borders and one without. The borders somehow made the design to
have a vintage style. So, I decided to go with the one on the
right.
Fig 1.32 Chosen menu layout (30.6.2022)
The borders somehow made the design to have a vintage style. So, I decided
to go with this one.
Fig 1.33 Final menu simulation (30.6.2022)
I added shadow below the menu. This is the final outcome.
Application 5 - Coaster
Fig 1.34 Coasters created by freepik on Freepik (28.6.2022)
There would possibly be coasters as cold drinks are being served. I decided
to also apply my typeface on coasters.
Fig 1.35 Coasters (28.6.2022)
For the coasters, I made two colors. I did not add too many design elements
as the text will be the main focus. Perspective warp was being used. I also
tried different blending modes and adjusted the opacity to make them look
more realistic.
Application 6 - Paper Bag
Fig 1.36 Paper Bag created by rawpixels.com on Freepik (28.6.2022)
Some kopitiams nearby my house have started using paper bags instead of
plastic bags as they are more eco-friendly. So, I also used my typeface on
paper bags for takeaways.
Fig 1.37 Paper bag designs (28.6.2022)
I tried making a few designs in Illustrator. Out of the five, I like the top
left one and the first two from the second row.
Fig 1.38 Paper bags (28.6.2022)
I simulated the three designs by warping the text on the paper bag using the
warp tool. I changed the blending mode as well as the opacity to create the
more realistic look.
Final Task 3: Design Exploration and Application
Link to download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16mQSBceOu6cW5B3WnrfO9AXTom0w66ne/view?usp=sharing
Fig 1.39 "Kopitiam" - Final Type Design (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.40 Application 1 - Cup and Saucer (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.41 Application 2 - Staff's T-shirt (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.42 Application 3 - Signboard (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.43 Application 4 - Menu Design (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.44 Application 4 - Menu (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.45 Application 5 - Coaster (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.46 Application 6 - Paper Bag (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.47 Application: Flat Lay (30.6.2022)
Fig 1.48 Final Design Exploration and Application - PDF (30.6.2022)
FEEDBACK
WEEK 10
General Feedback:
We need to consider the application of our typeface.
Specific Feedback:
Mr Vinod is okay with my idea. However, while designing my typeface, I
should not be making it to look like Chinese characters, but to give a hint
through the characteristic.
WEEK 11
General Feedback:
We need variety in our design so that it would not be monotonous. The
letterforms must be built from scratch instead of modifying existing
typeface.
Specific Feedback:
Mr Vinod likes the curved vertical stroke in the letter O. However, it is
not as prominent as it is in the letters B, C, D, G, J, P. The curved parts
in those letters will be thicker if written using a brush, as the pause will
cause the paper absorbing more ink. The shape of the top section of my
letters C, E, F, G, J needs more work, currently they don't seem to be like
part of the letterforms.
WEEK 12
General Feedback:
The application is what that makes our typefaces meaningful.
Specific Feedback:
I intended to use the typeface that I designed for kopitiams. Mr Vinod is
good with the idea, he gave a few suggestions for the collaterals, including
menu, coffee cups and staff's t-shirt. I can also use my typeface with
Chinese characters in Clerical script. The application should maintain the
vintage style.
WEEK 13
General Feedback:
When we do the simulation, the item should be larger so that the text can be
seen. The background color of our applications should be the same, or else
they do not look like they are a set. Mr Vinod encouraged us to do both
uppercase and lowercase letters to stand a chance being selected to get our
typeface copyrighted.
Specific Feedback:
The cup and the t-shirt are fine. The shop sign and the menu do not seem
real. Maybe I should change an image for the shop sign or make it look like
it is painted on. The design of the menu can be better, but still remain the
vintage look. Do more applications.
REFLECTION
Experience:
This is my first time designing a typeface with a full set of uppercase
letters. The process was not as heavy as I thought, though I did face some
issues. Generating the font in FontForge took me quite some time, as I am
not used to the interface of the software and I needed to look for tutorials
online. I like the typeface, I think it does go well with the clerical
script, but I am still not completely satisfied with some parts. I am
planning to spend some time during the break to make things better, and
hopefully able to design the lowercase letters as well.
Observations:
I found that I prefer working within a shorter period of time, though I
might get overwhelmed sometimes. I will start to lose interest on the work
and somehow procrastinate if the time frame is long.
Findings:
I realized that my skill in Photoshop is weaker. I do not know many of the
tools, which sometimes I ended up using a more complex way to do something
simple. What I can do is to look for tutorials on YouTube to learn about the
different tools and practice on my own during free time.
FURTHER READING
Fig 2.1 Typographic Design: Form and Communication
Fig 2.2 Chapter 11: Typographic Design Education - pg 217
I remember reading this page previously, but I was not clear what exactly it
is about. I only fully understood the content after task 3 started. The
pictures shown in this page are some experimental type design by students.
What they did looks very interesting, which motivates me to try designing an
experimental typeface in the future.




































Comments
Post a Comment