Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

1.9.2022 - 18.10.2022 (Week 6 - Week 8)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Animation Fundamentals / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation


Jump Links


LECTURES

Fig 1.1 Week 6 Notes (6.10.2022)


Fig 1.2 Week 6 Practical (6.10.2022)


INSTRUCTIONS



Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation


Fig 2.1 Project 1 Instructions

For project 1, we were to create a walk cycle in both side and front view, using the character from exercise 4. 


1. Side View


Fig 2.2 Rough sketch in Photoshop (9.10.2022)

I started sketching out the side view of stitch in photoshop as I found it easier. 


Fig 2.3 Rough sketch in Animate (9.10.2022)

Then, I imported the layer into Adobe Animate to sketch out the rest of the frames for the walk cycle. 


Fig 2.4 Rough Animation - side view (9.10.2022)

This is the rough animation of the side view. I exported it in GIF format for preview purposes. 


Fig 2.5 Animating ears (10.10.2022)

I found the ears too stiff, so I decided to animate it. This is the progress of drawing the frames of the ears. 


Fig 2.6 Clean-up Animation - side view (10.10.2022)

I cleaned up the rough sketches and colored the character. This is the final output preview in GIF. 


2. Front View

Fig 2.7 Sketching in Photoshop (16.10.2022)

For the front view, I also started sketching out in Photoshop first. I found some references online to understand how the walk cycle should look like from the front. 


Fig 2.8 Sketching in Animate (16.10.2022)

The, I imported the layers into Adobe Animate and sketch it out with more details.


Fig 2.9 Rough Animation - front view (16.10.2022)

This is the rough animation from the front view. It is harder than animating from the side. 


Fig 2.10 Animating ears

Again, I animated the ears of stitch. It is more difficult compared to animating from the side. 


Fig 2.11 Clean-up Animation - front view

I cleaned up the rough sketch and colored it. This is the final output preview in GIF. 


Final Project 1: Walk Cycle

Fig 2.12 Final Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation - MP4 (18.10.2022)



FEEDBACK

WEEK 10

The ears are nice. However, the body looks a bit stiff. Mr Kamal suggested I bend the spine back and forth. 

Fig 00 Mr Kamal's Explanation (3.11.2022)



REFLECTION

I had online class for all modules during week 6 due to some circumstances. I found it difficult to follow during demonstrations, as I have to go back and forth between a few windows. The problem is solved by joining from two different devices. The practical session on week 6 wasn't too hard, as we were given samples to follow. I completed the side view animation before week 7's class, and I planned to do the front view animation after class. Unfortunately, class was cancelled on week 7, so we had to learn by our own. I struggled a bit for this part, as it is much difficult compared to the side view animation, but I still managed to deliver the work. 2D animation is something fun and frustrating at the same time. Hope that I will eventually enjoy the process more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1