Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

1.9.2022 - .9.2022 (Week 1 - Week 5)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Animation Fundamentals / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises


Jump Links


LECTURES


Fig 1.1 Week 2 Notes (8.9.2022)

WEEK 3

Fig 1.2 Week 3 Notes (15.9.2022)

Practical: Ball with Tail Animation

Fig 1.3 Practical - Animating (15.9.2022)

First, I created another bouncing ball animation, and applied the squash and stretch principle using the free transformation tool. Mr Kamal had taught us a different way to animate, which is to insert frames between the extremes in our timeline, so we do not have to draw and plan the timing. 


Fig 1.4 Practical - Tail Sketch (15.9.2022)

I drew a tail for the ball using the brush tool to plot out its direction.


Fig 1.5 Practical - Clean up tail (15.9.2022)

I cleaned up the sketch of the tail using the pen tool. 


Fig 1.6 Practical - Ball with tail animation (15.9.2022)

This is what I have achieved in class. It still doesn't look very nice, as there are some imperfections at certain parts. I should practice more in order to improve.

WEEK 4

Fig 1.7 Week 4 Notes (22.9.2022)


INSTRUCTIONS



Exercise 1: Bouncing Ball Animation


Fig 2.1 Exercise 1 Instructions (8.9.2022)

For exercise 1, we were to create a bouncing ball animation in Adobe Animate, using the principles that we had learnt in class, which are timing, spacing, slow in, slow out and arc. 


Fig 2.2 Arc (8.9.2022)

First, I created the arc of the bouncing ball. Mr Kamal reminded us that the arc should reduce gradually. This was my first time using Adobe Animate, but the tools are more or less similar to Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. So I am quite used to the software. 


Fig 2.3 Timing (8.9.2022)

Mr Kamal demonstrated on how to animate on 2 for the first arc, and let us try out the rest. I drew roughly in another layer in Adobe Animate for easier reference. 


Fig 2.4 Onion Skin (8.9.2022)

I looped the animation and made some adjustments. This is the final onion skin of my bouncing ball animation. 


Fig 2.5 Bouncing Ball Animation - Preview in GIF (8.9.2022)

Mr Kamal advised me to reduce the frames for the last arc, as the distance is shorter. The above is the final output. 


Final Exercise 1: Bouncing Ball Animation

Fig 2.6 Final Exercise 1: Bouncing Ball Animation - MP4 (8.9.2022)



Exercise 2: Ball with Tail Animation


Fig 3.1 Exercise 2 Instructions (15.9.2022)

In exercise 2, we were to create a ball animation with tail, by utilizing the principles of timing, spacing, slow in and slow out, squash and stretch, drag, follow through, and overlapping. 


Fig 3.2 Exercise 2 Layout (17.9.2022)

For exercise 2, I want to try something different from what I have done in class. I added two blocks for the ball to bounce onto.


Fig 3.3 Animating Bouncing Ball (17.9.2022)

I animated the ball according to the arc,  and apply the slow in and slow out, as well as squash and stretch principles that we have learnt in class. 


Fig 3.4 Sketching out tail (18.9.2022)

I drew a tail for the ball using the brush tool. It is much easier to control the brush tool with a drawing tablet, compared to a mouse. 


Fig 3.5 Tracing tail (18.9.2022)

After checking on the sketch, I cleaned up the sketch of the tail using the pen tool. The pen tool in Adobe Animate is somehow more difficult to use compared to Illustrator, I might need some time to sort it out. I relied on the direct selection tool to get the desired shape of the tail. 


Fig 3.6 Coloring (18.9.2022)

After I have completed the animation, I colored it. I found that it is harder to color the way I did in Illustrator. I prefer using the bucket tool in this software. 


Fig 3.7 Exercise 2: Ball with Tail Animation - GIF (20.9.2022)

This is the bail with tail animation exported in Animated GIF. 

Final Exercise 2: Ball with Tail Animation

Fig 3.8 Final Exercise 2: Ball with Tail Animation - MP4 (20.9.2022)



Exercise 3: Emotion Poses

Fig 4.1 Exercise 3 Instructions (22.9.2022)

In this exercise, we were to find a picture of character poses representing the chosen emotion, and create the line of action, structure and proportion, silhouette, and basic form of the pose.


Fig 4.2 Reference - "Happy" (22.9.2022)

The emotion was chosen according to the name list. Mine is "Happy". I looked for images that could be used in this exercise on Pinterest. I have found a few. This is the one that I am the most satisfied with. I like the exaggerated pose that you could obviously tell that she is happy even without her facial expression. Although the angle of the pose might be a bit challenging, I still want to try it out as I could never escape from drawing characters from different angles. 


Fig 4.3 Line of Action (22.9.2022)

I drew a line using the line tool, and curved it according to the image using the selection tool, to create the line of action.


Fig 4.4 Structure and Proportion (22.9.2022)

Next, I used the oval tool to create the head of the character. The lines were created using the line tool, with some help of the direct selection tool. 

Fig 4.5 Silhouette (22.9.2022)

I used the pen tool in Adobe Animate to trace the silhouette of the woman. I made two attempts, as the first tracing could not be filled with the bucket tool, and I couldn't find out why. The problem was resolved by retracing. 


Fig 4.6 Basic Form (25.9.2022)

I created the basic form of the woman in Illustrator, as the software allows more control. I used the pen tool, the shape tool, with the help of direct selection tool to draw the shapes. The shape builder tool that I had learnt from semester 1 was being used to create the shadow. 


Fig 4.7 Final Output - GIF (25.9.2022)

After finalizing everything, I exported the video. This is exported in GIF format for preview. 

Final Exercise 3: Emotion Poses

Fig 4.8 Final Exercise 3: Emotion Poses - MP4 (25.9.2022)

Link to MOV file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KBydDgNcFIy84ePjN3IouOWSkqyaZ8I-/view?usp=sharing


Exercise 4: Turnaround Animation


Fig 5.1 Exercise 4 Instructions (29.9.2022)

For exercise 4, we were to search for a character reference and create a turnaround animation. 


Fig 5.2 Reference - Stitch (29.9.2022)

I have a few characters that I want to go with in mind. I chose Stitch from the movie "Lilo and Stitch", as he is not too difficult, and he has some organic shapes. It can help me to practice drawing characters from different angles. 


Fig 5.3 Stitch sketched in Photoshop (29.9.2022)

I started by sketching in Photoshop to help me understand the construction of the character better. I also work better in Photoshop as I am more familiar with in compared to Adobe Animate. 


Fig 5.4 Sketching basic shapes in Adobe Animate (30.9.2022)

After finish sketching in Photoshop, I imported the layers into Adobe Animate to sketch out the basic shapes of the character in blue color. This wasn't too hard, as I have already done this once while sketching in Photoshop. 


Fig 5.5 Sketching character form in Adobe Animate  (30.9.2022)

Later on, I drew out the form of the character in black color. I tried to keep the lines as clean as I could for practicing purpose. 


Fig 5.6 Final Output - GIF (30.9.2022)

I looped the turnaround animation for three times. This is the final outcome exported in GIF for preview. 

Final Exercise 4: Turnaround Animation

Fig 5.7 Final Exercise 4: Turnaround Animation - MP4 (30.9.2022)


FEEDBACK

WEEK 2

Exercise 1: The animation looks fine, the arc is good. Reduce the frames for the last arc, as the timing is lesser. More frames will make it look less believable. 

WEEK 3

In-class exercise (Ball with tail animation): Good job. 

WEEK 4

Exercise 3: I am allowed to use software like Photoshop if I think it is easier. 


WEEK 10

Exercise 1: No problem, the decreasing distance is nice.

Exercise 2: Can try different timing for the second bounce to create rhythm, the flexibility of the tail is nice.

Exercise 3: The timing is too fast, refer to the Devina's. The body rotation for the form needs to be more.

Exercise 4: Good drawing. For the 3/4 view, the front leg needs to bend more. The rest looks good.


REFLECTION

WEEK 2

I felt really excited as I finally start to learn more about animation. While learning the principles, I recalled my previous animation works, and realized that I had made a couple of mistakes. This is a great opportunity to help me get prepared to produce better animation in the future. 

WEEK 3

The squash and stretch principle makes the bouncing ball look more believable, and I felt that it is one of the most important principles (out of the 12) to make things feel alive. At this stage, I can still manage to catch up what have been taught in class. Hope that I could keep it up. 

WEEK 4

I think this exercise is easier compared to the first two, as this is something that I have learnt before. Despite that, my skills still need to be improved, as I found it challenging to draw characters from different angles. I wish that I could do better in the following weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

3D Modeling / Project 1