3D Modeling / Project 1
3.10.2022 - 30.10.2022 (Week 6 - Week 9)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
3D Modelling / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
3D Modelling / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Hard Surface Modelling
Jump Links
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 1: Hard Surface Modelling
Fig 1.1 Project 1 Instructions (3.10.2022)
For project 1, we were to model a hard surface object by utilizing the techniques we have learnt in the pass few weeks.
Fig 1.2 Moodboard & References (12.10.2022)
I looked for some inspiration and references on Pinterest at the beginning.
Fig 1.3 Refined Sketch (17.10.2022)
I want to go with a vintage style for this project, because I really admire the elegant designs. I sketched out a few designs roughly on a piece of paper. The above is the refined sketch that I am going with.
Fig 1.4 Modelling (19.10.2022)
I modelled the gun based on my sketch. Some parts were modified on the process to achieve a better outcome.
Fig 1.5 Creasing (20.10.2022)
I used the knife tool and edge loop to crease the edges. I also used the edge crease property for some parts.
Fig 1.6 Catmull-clark Subdivision Modifier (20.10.2022)
I have applied the catmull-clark subdivision modifier in some parts. We rarely use the catmull-clark subdivision modifier in previous lessons. I couldn't understand why it turns the primitive objects into a complex shape earlier. I finally understood better how it works through the process of modelling the gun.
Fig 1.7 Shading (23.10.2022)
I wanted to create a surrealistic texture for the gun, but unfortunately it didn't turn out how I expected. I looked for tutorials online and manipulated some parts to create the material of the handle.
Fig 1.8 Eevee Rendering Settings (23.10.2022)
I found a tutorial that teaches about the settings for eevee rendering. I tried playing around with the lighting and shadow effects.
Fig 1.9 Disabling Camera Icon for Eevee Rendering (23.10.2022)
When I rendered the image, it didn't turn out correct at first. Some of the hidden objects appear in the image. I found a solution on YouTube which is to create another collection for the final objects and enable the camera icon, then disable the camera icon for the rest.
(I have the habit of duplicating the objects in the process, in case I need to revert back to the previous form.)
Fig 1.9 Final Output (23.10.2022)
After achieving the desired effect on the lighting, I adjusted the camera position and angle and rendered the image. This is the final outcome.
Final Project 1: Hard Surface Modelling
Fig 1.10 Final Project 1: Hard Surface Modelling - PNG (23.10.2022)
FEEDBACK
The texture for the handle is a bit weird. The surface of the body is not really smooth, try adjusting in auto smooth. The overall shape looks good. For the curved decorative part near the trigger, the polygon should be lesser. The color of one of the references is nice, maybe I can try referring to that one. Nice attempt.
REFLECTION
This project is harder than I imagined. It takes a lot of trials and errors throughout the process, but I don't feel frustrated because 3D Modelling is new to me and I am still learning. Although I really want to try out something more challenging, I understand that my current skills is still not enough to achieve what I expected.


.png)


Comments
Post a Comment