Advanced Typography / Task 1: Exercises
1.4.2022 - 29.4.2022 (Week 1 - Week 5)
During class, I was given feedback that the alignment of the text at the
bottom left looks less pleasant, and the "lecture theater 12" should be
smaller. So, I tried resolving the issues. At first, I moved the text to the
right a little to make it align with the heading, and reduced the size of
"lecture theater 12". However, it doesn't feel right to me, and the texts are
actually in the gutter, which I don't really like. While Mr Vinod was giving
feedback on this layout, he mentioned that I arranged the information
"left-right-left" Thus, I made the bottom left texts align left to see if it
will be better. I like it this way more, so I decided to use this as final.
In this page, the author showed examples of a circle being added to a
composition. which creates different effects on the layout. The purpose of the
circle is mainly to emphasize the keyword or to balance out the
composition.
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 1: Exercises
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 1: Exercises
Jump Links
- LECTURES
- INSTRUCTIONS
- Exercise 1: Typographic Systems
- Exercise 2: Part 1 - Finding Type
- Exercise 2: Part 2 - Type & Image
- FEEDBACK
- REFLECTION
- FURTHER READING
LECTURES
WEEK 1
Advanced Typography: Typographic Systems
1. Axial System
- All elements are organized to the left or the right of a single axis
- The axial can be bent
Fig 1.1 Axial System Example
2. Radial System
- All elements are extended from a point of focus
- Can have multiple points of focus
Fig 1.2 Radial System Example
3. Dilatational System
- All elements expand from a central point in a circular fashion
- Can have multiple rings of circles, with information on either side of the line
- Information arranged in a hierarchical manner
- Place rings at different places
Fig 1.3 Dilatational System Example
4. Random System
- Elements appear to have no specific pattern or relationship
5. Grid System
- A system of vertical and horizontal divisions
6. Transitional System
- An informal system of layered banding
- Segregate information within certain bands
Fig 1.4 Transitional System Example
7. Modular System
- A series of non-objective elements that are constructed in as a standardized unit
Fig 1.5 Modular System Example
8. Bilateral System
- All text is arranged symmetrically on a single axis
*Examples shown in Fig 1.1 - Fig 1.4 are screengrabs from lecture video,
sourced from
type 365.
WEEK 2
Advanced Typography: Typographic Composition
- Creation of letters
- Arrangement of large amount of text within a given space
Principles of Design Composition
- Emphasis, isolation, repetition, symmetry & asymmetry, alignment,
perspective
- *Some principles may be difficult to be used in typographic composition
Emphasis
Fig 2.1 Emphasis
The Rule of Thirds
- Anyone of the intersecting points become the focal point of the layout
- Generally never used in typographic compositions when there are other more favorable ones
Fig 2.2 The Rule of Thirds
Typographic Systems
- Axial, radial, dilatational, random, grid, transitional, modular, bilateral
- Grid System (/ Raster Systeme) → the most pragmatic and the most used system
- Grid System is derived from the gridded compositional structure of letterpress printing
- further enhanced by Swiss (Modernist) style of Typography
- Josef Müller-Brockmann, Jan Tschichold, Max Bill
- Post-modernist era → chaos, randomness, asymmetry
- Legibility and readability were relegated to the back seat, however the best examples seem to combine two seamlessly
- David Carson, Paula Scher, Jonathan Barnbrook
thinking & intuition
Other models / Systems
Environmental Grid
- Based on the exploration of an existing structure or numerous structures combines
- An extraction of crucial lines both curved and straight are formed
- The designer then organizes the information around this super-structure
- Non-objective elements → to create a unique and exciting mixture of texture and visual stimuli
Fig 2.3 Environmental Grid - Example from lecturer Brenda McMannus, of
Pratt Inst, from the book: Typographic Form and Communication, pg
211
Form and Movement (developed by Mr Vinod)
- Based on the exploration of an existing Grid Systems
- To see the turning of pages in a book as a slowed-down animation in the form that constitutes the placement of image, text and color
- The placement of a form (irrespective of what it is) on a page, over many pages creates movement
- Whether the page is paper or screen in irrelevant
Fig 2.4 Form and Movement
WEEK 3
Advanced Typography: Context and Creativity
Historical context
Handwriting
Importance of Handwriting in The Study of Type/Typography
- The first mechanically produced letterforms were designed to directly imitate handwriting
- Basis/standard for form, spacing and conventions mechanical type would try to mimic
- Shape and lines of hand drawn letterforms are influenced by the tools & materials used
- e.g. Sharpened boned, charcoal sticks, plant stems, brushes, feather, steel pens
- additional factors: material upon the forms were written
- e.g. Clay, papyrus, palm leaf, animal skins (vellum & parchment), paper
Fig 3.1 Evolution of Latin Alphabet
Cunneiform
c. 3000 B.C.E.
- Earliest system of actual writing
- Was used in a number of languages between the 34C. B.C.E. through the 1st century C.E.
- Wedge form → pressing the blunt end of a reed stylus into wet clay tablets
- Evolved from pictograms
- written from left to right
Hieroglyphics
2613—2160 B.C.E
- The Egyptian writing system is fused with the art of relief carving
- mixture of both rebus and phonetic characters—the first link to a future alphabetic system
Hieroglyphic images in three different ways:
1. As ideograms, to represent the things they actually depict
2. As determinatives to show that the signs preceding are meant as phonograms
and to indicate the general idea of the word
3. As phonograms to represent sounds that "spell out" individual words
Early Greek
5th C. B.C.E
- Built on the Egyptian logo-consonantal system, the Phoenicians developed a phonetic alphabet → 22 letters
- The Phoenicians system then was adopted by the Greeks who added the necessary vowels
- Early Greek was comprised on only capital letters, written between 2 guidelines organized them into horizontal rows
- Direction of reading was not yet fixed → Boustrophedon/"as the ox plows" (left to right, right to left)
- Early Greek letters were drawn freehand, not constructed with compasses and rule
- Had no serifs
- Had no informal entry and exit strikes left by a relaxed and fluent write
- Had no symmetrical finish stroke typically added to letters by formal scribes
- In time the strokes of these letter grew thicker, the aperture lessened, and serifs appeared
- The new forms, used for inscriptions throughout the Greek empire, served as models for formal lettering in imperial Rome
- Those Roman inscriptional letters —written with a flat brush, held at an angle like a broad nib pen, then carved into the stone with mallet and chisel— have served in their turn as models for calligraphers and type designers for the past 2000 years
Roman Uncials
- By the 4th century, Roman letters were becoming more rounded, the curved form allowed for less strokes and could be written faster
Fig 3.2 Roman Uncials
English Half Uncials
8th C.
- In England, the uncial evolved into a more slated and condensed form
- While English and Irish uncials evolved, writing on the European continent developed considerably and needed a reformer → the Carolingian Handwriting Reform
Fig 3.3 English Half Uncials
Emperor Charlemagne
8 C. C.E.
- After the fall of the Roman Empire, the end of a central advanced culture resulted in general illiteracy and a breakdown of handwriting into diverse regional styles
- For 300 years the knowledge was kept alive mainly in the remote outposts of the religious cloisters and retreats
Carolingian Minuscule
- A court school was established under the direction of Alciun of York
- During Charlemagne's patronage book production increased and language was standardized —pronunciation and spelling as well as writing conventions— capitals at the start of a sentence, spaces between words and punctuation
- The Carolingian minuscule was used for all legal and literacy works to unify communication between various regions of the expanding European empire
- Was as important as a development as the standard Roman capital— for it was this style that became the pattern of Humanistic writing of the 15th century
- this latter, in turn was the basis of our lower-case roman type
Black Letter
12-15 C. CE
- Gothic was the culminating artistic expression of the middle ages, occurring roughly from 1200—1500.
- The term Gothic originated with the Italians who used it to refer to rude/barbaric cultures north of the Italian Alps
- The Gothic spirit took hold in France, Germany and England where it was manifested through unhindered upward striving
- The vertical supplanted horizontals as the dominant line in architecture; the pointed arch replaced the round arch of the Roman; the almond shape, or mandoria, was preferred
- Gothic writing forms reflected this aesthetic
- Blackletter is characterized by tight spacing and condensed lettering
- Evenly spaced verticals dominated the letterform
- Condensing line spacing and letter spacing reduced the amount of costly materials book production
Fig 3.4 Black Letter
The Italian Renaissance
- As the Gothic spirit reached its apex in the other areas of western Europe, Humanish scholars in Italy were slowly reviving the culture of antiquity
- The renaissance embrace of ancient Greek and Roman culture spurred a creative wave through Italian art, architecture, literature and letter form design
- The Humanist admired the Carolingian script, which had clear open hand writing
- Humanist named the newly rediscovered letterforms Antica
- The renaissance analysis of form that was being applied to art and architecture was directed toward letterform— resulting in a more perfect or rationalized letter
Movable Type
11 C.—14 C.
- Printing (wood block) had already been practiced in China, Korea and Japan (Dharani Sutra, AD 750).
- Earliest known printed book (AD 868) is the Diamond Sutra → 16' scroll with the world's first printed illustration
- China had attempted use movable type for printing but was unsuccessful due in part to the number of characters and the material used (clay)
- Late 14 C. the Koreans established a foundry to cast movable type in bronze—allowed the dismantling and resetting of text
- With the creation of their new script Han'gul, the Koreans would succeed where the Chinese failed
- Moveable type was introduced in the 1000-1100 CE
- Was pioneered in China, but achieved in Korea (Diamond Sutra)
Eastern Developments in Handwriting
- with the digital revolution, the west would begin to digitize many of its historical creations and type foundries would create, market and sell or license them
- with the colonization if the east by the west, much of the heritage and cultural practices in literature, arts and crafts, languages and scripts would be halted or stunted
Fig 3.5 Evolution of Middle Eastern Alphabets
Fig 3.6 The Evolution of the Chinese script
Indus Valley Civilization script (3500-2000 BCE)
- the oldest writing found in "Indian" subcontinent
Fig 3.7 Indus Valley Civilization script
Brahmi script (450-350 BCE)
- the earliest writing system developed in India after the Indus script
- one of the most influential writing systems
- all modern Indian scripts and several hundred scripts found in Southeast and East Asia are derived from Brahmi
- most scholars stating that Brahmi was derived from or at least influenced by one or more contemporary Semiotic scripts
- oldest writing system present in Southeast Asia were Indian scripts
- most important: Pallava (/Pallawa in Malay) → a South Indian script originally used for writing Sanskrit and Tamil
- Pallaca wasn't the only Indian script in use in the Malay Archipelago
- Pra-nagari: an early form of the Nagari script, used in India for writing Sanskrit
Fig 3.8 Kedukan Bukit inscription from Sumatra, written in Old Malay using the Pallava script
Fig 3.9 Blanjong inscription of Bali, written using Pra-nagari
Kawi
- Indonesia's most important historical script
- based on Nagari, but indigenous to Java
- was the script used for contact with other kingdons
- the basis of other scripts in Indonesia and the Philippines
Importance of Handwriting in The Study of Type/Typography
- the first mechanically produced letterforms were designed to directly imitate handwriting
Programmers and Type Design
- more and more vernacular and "multi-script" typefaces are being produced to cater to situations where the written matter is communicated in the vernacular script or vernacular and Latin script
Local Movements and Individuals
- murasu.com spear-headed by programmer and typographer Muthu Nedumaran
- the programming language needed to encode the different types of vernacular writing systems was cracked by Muthu
- the system is now used in mobile phones and desktops
Huruf
- a local group of graphic designers interested in the localized lettering of Latin and vernacular letters painted or inscribed on walls and signages
- the more prominent organizations digitizing and revitalizing typefaces in Malaysia
Ek Type and Indian Type Foundry
- organizations that have done ground breaking work with the development of vernacular typefaces in India
WEEK 4
Advanced Typography: Designing Type
Xavier Dupré (2007) in the introduction of his typeface Malaga suggested two
reasons for designing a typeface
- type design carries a social responsibility so one must continue to improve its legibility (need to be fulfilled)
- type design is a form of artistic expression
Adrian Frutiger
- a renowned twentieth century Swiss graphic designer
- forte: typeface designing
- is considered responsible for the advancement of typography
- valued contribution to typography: Univers, Frutiger
Frutiger
- sans serif typeface
- designed by Swiss type designer Adrian Frutiger in 1968 specifically for the newly built Charles de Gaulle International Airport in France
Purpose: "The goal of this new typeface was created a clean
distinctive and legible typeface that is easy to see from both close up and
far away. Extremely functional. "
Considerations/Limitations: The letterforms needed to be recognized
even in poor light conditions or when the reader was moving quickly past the
sign. He tested with unfocused letters to see which letterforms could still be
identified,
Fig 4.1 Frutiger
Matthew Carter
- the son of Harry Carter
- Royal Designer for Industry, contemporary British type design and ultimate craftsman
- trained as a punchcutter at Enschedé by Paul Rädisch
- responsible for Crosfield's typographic program in the early 1960s
- Mergenthaler Linotype's house designer 1965-1981
- many of his fonts were created to address specific technical challenges
Verdana (1996)
Purpose: The font was tuned to be extremely legible even at very small
sizes on the screen due in part to the popularity of the internet and
electronic devices
Considerations/Limitations: The Verdana fonts exhibit characteristics
derived from the pixel rather than the pen, the brush or the chisel. Commonly
confused characters, such as the lowercase i j l.
Fig 4.2 Verdana
Edward Johnston
- creator of the hugely influential London "Underground" typeface ("Johnston Sans", 1916)
- was asked to create a typeface with "bold simplicity" that was truly for modern yet rooted in tradition
- Johnston's design, completed in 1916, combined classical Roman proportions with humanist warmth
Considerations/Limitations: "Johnston's remit was to unite the London
Underground Group, the different companies all using the signage was all
completely different - there was this cacophony of letters. Johnston applied
the proportions of Roman capital letters to his typeface, so it was rooted in
history, rooted in traditional calligraphy. But it has an elegance and a
simplicity that absolutely fitted the modern age. "
Fig 4.3 Johnston Sans
- His former student (Eric Gill) was perhaps driven by the guilt of seeing the success of his own typeface, Gill Sans, which he admitted had been heavily based on Johnston's work
"I hope that you realize that I take every opportunity of proclaiming the
fact that what the Monotype people call Gill Sans owes all its goodness to
your Underground letter, " Eric Gill
General Process of Type Design
1. Research
- when crating type, we should understand type history, type anatomy and type conventions
- we should also know terminologies, side-bearing, metrics, hinting...
- it is important to determine the type's purpose or what it would be used for, what different applications it will be used in (e.g. school busses, airport signage,...)
- examine existing fonts that are presently being used for inspiration/ideas/reference/context/usage pattern/etc.
2. Sketching
- some designers sketch their typeface using the traditional tool set (brushes/pens, ink and paper) then scan them for the purpose of digitization → more confident with their hands and have better control using it
- some designers sketch their typeface using digital tool sets, such as Wacom directly into a font design software (much quicker, persistent and consistent), but this can sometimes impede the natural movement of hand strokes
- both methods have their own positives and negatives
3. Digitization
- professional software that are used in the digitization of typefaces: Fontlab, Glyphs App
- there are designers that also use Adobe Illustrator to design or craft the letterforms then introduce it into the specialized font apps (is frowned upon by the purist)
- attention should not only be given to the whole form at this stage but also to the counter form (readability of the typeface is heavily dependent on it)
4. Testing
- an important component in the design thinking process
- the results of the testing is part of the process of refining and correcting process and leads to important feedback
- depending on the typeface category (display type/text type) the readability and legibility of the typeface becomes an important consideration
- it is not as crucial if the typeface is a display type, where expression of the form takes a little more precedence
5. Deploy
- even after deploying a complete typeface, there are always teething problems that did not come to the fore during the prototyping and testing phases
- the rigor of the testing is important in so that the teething issue remain minor
Typeface Construction
Roman Capital
- the grid consists of a square, and inside it a circle that just touches the lines of the square in four places
- within the square, there is also a rectangle
- this rectangle is three quarters the size of the square and is positioned in the center of the square
- using grids (with circular forms) can facilitate the construction of a letterform and is a possible method to build/create/design your letterform
Construction and Considerations
- classification according to form and construction
- 26 characters of the alphabet can be arranged into groups
- distinction is made between a group for the capitals and a group for lowercase letter
- extrusion of curved (and protruding) forms past the baseline and cap line
- also applies to vertical alignment between curved and straight forms
- "fitting" type: white space between letters should appear the same
WEEK 5
Advanced Typography: Perception & Organization
Perception
- "the way in which something is regarded, understood, or interpreted"
- perception in typography deals with the visual navigation and interpretation of the reader via contrast, form and organization of the context
- context → textual, visual, graphical, color
1. Contrast
- to create distinction / differentiation between information
- hierarchy
- adds to more principles into the mix: texture and direction
- "to make design work and meaning pop out — clearly and unambiguously, and with flair"
- Dair posits 7 kinds of contrast: size, weight, contrast of form, contrast of structure, contrast of texture, contrast of color, contrast of direction
i. Size
- provides a point to which the reader's attention is drawn
- most common: making a title or heading noticeably bigger than the body text
ii. Weight
- describes how bold type can stand out in the middle of lighter type of the same style
- bold, rules, spot, square → provides a "heavy area"
- visual attraction / emphasis
iii. Form
- the distinction between a capital letter and its lowercase equivalent
- a roman letter and its italic variant
- condensed and expanded versions of typeface
iv. Structure
- the different letterforms of different kinds of typefaces
- e.g. A monoline sans serif and a traditional serif, or an italic and a blackletter
v. Texture
- by putting together the contrast of size, weight, form, and structure, and applying them to a block of text on a page
- texture refers to the way the lines of type look as a whole up close and from a distance
- depends partly on the letterforms themselves and partly on how they are arranged
vi. Direction
- the opposition between vertical and horizontal, and the angles in between
- turning one word on its side can have a dramatic effect on a layout
- text blocks also have their vertical or horizontal aspects of the direction
- mixing wide blocks of long lines with tall column of short lines
vii. Color
- a second color is often less emphatic in value than plain black on white
- it is important to give thought to which elements needs to be emphasized and to pay attention to the tonal values of the colors used
2. Form
- refers to the overall look and feel of the elements that make up the typographic composition
- plays a role in visual impact and first impressions
- a good form in typography tends to be visually intriguing to the eye; it leads the eye from point to point, it entertains the mind and is most often memorable
- originating from the Greek words "typos" (form) and "graphis" (writing)
- typography means to write in accordance with form
- typography functions: 1. to represent a concept ; 2. to do so in a visual form
- displaying type as a form provides a sense of letterforms' unique characteristics and abstract presentation
- the interplay of meaning and form brings a balanced harmony both in terms of function and expression
- when a typeface is perceived as a form, it no longer reads as a letter because it has been manipulated by distortion, texture, enlargement and has been extruded into a space
Organization / Gestalt
- Gestalt is a German word meaning the way a thing has been "placed" or "put together"
- an attempt to understand the laws behind the ability to acquire and maintain meaningful perceptions
- the Gestalt psychologists, especially Max Wertheimer, developed a number of "laws" that predict how perceptual grouping occurs under a variety of circumstances (Wertheimer, 1923/1938)
- Gestalt theory emphasizes that the whole of anything is greater than its parts — this is based on the idea that we experience things as unified whole
- instead of breaking down thoughts and behavior to their smallest elements, the gestalt psychologist believed that you must look at the whole of experience
- in design, the components/elements that make up the design is only as good as its overall visual form
- while each component may be functional at an elemental level, the sum of its parts is not greater than the whole or the overall form
1. Law of Similarity
- elements that are similar to each other tend to be perceived as a unified group
- can refer to any number of features, including color, orientation, size, or indeed motion
2. Law of Proximity
- elements that are close together tend to be perceived as a unified group
- items close to each other tend to be grouped together, whereas items further apart are less likely to be grouped together
3. Law of Closure
- refers to the mind's tendency to see complete figures or forms even if a picture is incomplete, partially hidden by other objects, or if part of the information needed to make a complete picture in our minds is missing
4. Law of (Good) Continuation
- humans tend to perceive each of two or more objects as different, singular, and uninterrupted object even when they intersect
- the alignment of the objects or forms plays a major role for the principle to take effect
5. Law of Symmetry
6. Law of Simplicity (Pragnanz)
INSTRUCTIONS
Task 1: Exercise 1 - Typographic Systems
For exercise 1, we are given a piece of information, and we are to utilize the
8 typographic systems that we had learnt to arrange the information.
Fig 6.1 Information given (1.4.2022)
At first, I tried sketching layouts before I start. However, I found it
difficult as I am not sure how much place does the texts take up. So, I
decided to start off straight away in InDesign.
Fig 6.2 Screenshot of final layouts with grids (7.4.2022)
Fig 6.3 Axial System (4.4.2022)
I made two attempts for the axial system, the third image is an exploration of
the second image. I like the third one the most. The first attempt was a try
out, but I found it less interesting as it is really similar to what others
had done. On my second attempt, I tried playing around with different font
weight. However, I still feel that something is missing. So, I rotated the
axis 20 degrees and extended the rusty red box. I think the outcome looks way
better than it was before.
Font used:
Left: ITC New Baskerville Std
Middle & Right: Univers LT Std
Fig 6.4 Radial System (7.4.2022)
Surprisingly, the radial system was the one that I struggled the most. The
one on the left seems to lack on unity, the information are like three
completely separated pieces. To solve this problem, I tried rearranging the
information in one circle, instead of having three. The second one turns out
better, though there is still room for improvement.
Font used:
Left: Serifa
Right: Univers LT Std
In my first attempt, I arranged the information by layering the circles, the
center point was being moved to left a little. I think it kind of have some
rhythm in it, but the feeling isn't strong. So, I tried changing the
background and text color. It looks better for me, as the texts pop out more.
My third attempt is to experiment the movement that can be achieved in
dilatational system. I quite like how the information spreads out, but I think
this layout needs further enhancement.
Font used:
Left, Middle & Right: Univers LT Std
Fig 6.6 Random System (7.4.2022)
I used more non-objective elements (compared to my other layouts) in the
layout on the left. It is to simulate the Bauhaus design style. The one on
the right is discovered coincidentally. I tried putting the date, time and
names into a whole paragraph, and I kind of like how it looks, though it
could cause difficulty in reading. Out of the two, I like the left one
better, because it looks more energetic. I like the right one too, it's just
that the "emotion" does not feel right.
Font used:
Left: Futura Std, Janson Text LT Std, Univers LT Std, Serifa
Right: Janson Text LT Std, Univers LT Std, Serifa
Fig 6.7 Grid System (6.4.2022)
For the grid system, I made three attempts. As the text is quite short and
we are not allowed to add images, I tried making the layouts look
minimalistic. My favorite layout is the one on the left, because it is
balanced, and it looks more complete compared to the other two.
Font used:
Left: Univers LT Std, ITC New Baskerville Std
Right & Middle: ITC Garamond Std
Fig 6.8 Transitional System (7.4.2022)
My first attempt of the transitional system was done unintentionally. I was
trying to do the radial system, but I failed to do so. I suddenly got an idea
of adjusting the texts to make it transitional. I definitely need to work on
it, but the process was very enjoyable. I tried creating something based on
the memory of the examples that I had seen in my second attempt. However, it
turns out really ordinary. Thus, I explored more and referred to the book
about typographic systems. I think the outcome (right) looks interesting, and
I like it the most.
Font used:
Left: Futura Std, ITC Garamond Std
Middle & Right: Futura Std
Fig 6.9 Modular System (6.4.2022)
The modular system was a bit hard for me at the beginning. I would say my
first outcome is pretty unpleasant to look at. The second layout looks much
better than the first one. It does not seem like I am forcing the information
to stay within the space.
Font used:
Left: Univers LT Std, Adobe Caslon Pro
Right: Futura Std
Fig 6.10 Bilateral System (5.4.2022)
I found the bilateral system is a challenging to have an interesting layout.
On my first attempt, I tried playing around with the font weights, but I don't
like the design. I have two axis for the second one, which is not "bilateral"
anymore, but I think it looks more interesting compared to the first outcome.
Font used:
Left: ITC Garamond Std
Right: Univers LT Std, ITC New Baskerville Std
Amendment
Fig 6.11 Amended Grid System (9.4.2022)
Font used:
Left & Right: Univers LT Std, ITC New Baskerville Std
Final Exercise 1: Typographic System
Fig 6.12 Final Exercise 1: Typographic System - Axial System
(7.4.2022)
Fig 6.13 Final Exercise 1: Typographic System - Radial System
(7.4.2022)
Fig 6.14 Final Exercise 1: Typographic System - Dilatational System
(7.4.2022)
Fig 6.15 Final Exercise 1: Typographic System - Random System
(7.4.2022)
Fig 6.20 Final Exercise 1: Typographic System - PDF (9.4.2022)
Fig 6.21 Final Exercise 1: Typographic System with Grids and Guides- PDF (9.4.2022)
Task 1: Exercise 2 - Type and Play
Part 1: Finding Type
In this task, we are required to extract letters from the chosen image and
refine four letters. The final outcome should maintain the style of the
object of the image.
1. Chosen Subject
Fig 7.1 Asteroid image by
Viktor Talashuk on
Unsplash
I downloaded an image of an asteroid from Unsplash as my subject. I really
like the texture of it, and I think it will be fun to design a typeface from
it.
Letterform Extraction
Fig 7.2 Identified letters - A, B, C, M, P, S, Y (13.4.2022)
These are the identified letterforms, which are A, B, C, M, P, S and Y. For
this exercise, we will only need to design for letters, so I will have to
choose four out of the seven letters identified.
Fig 7.3 Chosen letterforms - A, B, C, M (13.4.2022)
These are the letters that I have chosen. I chose them because the way to
construct each of these letters are different, and I want to challenge
myself as I had never constructed these letters before.
2. Refinement
Fig 7.4 Reference - Futura Std Medium (13.4.2022)
I chose a sans serif typeface as my reference, because I feel from what I
had extracted is more like a sans serif typeface instead of serif. The
sharpness of the apex in the letter A and M also somehow represents the
style that I planned to head to.
Fig 7.5 Basic study on reference (14.4.2022)
I did a basic study on the letterforms of my reference, so that I am more
clear on how to construct the letters.
Fig 7.6 Sketch (15.4.2022)
During class, Mr Vinod said that the image that I have chosen is rather
difficult. He suggested me to refer to the other parts of the image when
refining, so that the characteristics of the asteroid can be retained.
After receiving feedback, I worked on the sketch in class. I did not start
immediately in Illustrator as the shapes I have is quite complex, I will need to simplify them a little, and I am
more comfortable with drawing on papers. I spent some time studying the
characteristics of the asteroid. The tips are mostly pointy instead of
sharp. The rounded parts are usually less crooked. I tried to incorporate
the characteristics that I have identified into my sketch, and this is the
outcome.
I showed Mr Vinod my sketch after class, he said that my sketch looks fine
and it is consistent, I can continue working on it.
Fig 7.7 Attempt 1 - digitized sketch (15.4.2022)
I traced the letterforms according to my sketch. I kind of like how it turns
out, but I still need to make some adjustment. I want to try simplifying the
shapes, as it looks too complicated for me currently.
Fig 7.8 Attempt 2 - simplified shapes (19.4.2022)
I started by constructing the actual letterforms, referring to my reference.
Based on the constructed letters, I then begin to add on the characteristics
of the asteroid, so that I can ensure the letters have similar stoke width,
and width of each letters is accurate (e.g. "M" has to be wider). Some
details are being reduced to make the shape of the letterforms less
complex.
Fig 7.9 Attempt 3 - minor adjustment and added holes (20.4.2022)
In my previous attempt, the letter A eventually became thinner. So, I made
it wider and adjusted the placement of the anchor points that are affected.
The end of the stem of letter A is also tweaked. I added some holes to make
it more similar to the surface of the asteroid.
Fig 7.10 Swapping colors of Attempt 3 (21.4.2022)
Kindly click on the image for a clearer view :)
Mr Vinod emphasized on studying the counter space of the letter form. I
swapped the colors of the letters and the background, and I found out that
some parts are not doing really well. They are too straight compared to the
other parts, which I found a little disturbing. Thus, I made the necessary
changes.
Fig 7.11 Attempt 4 - Adjusted stroke and apex (21.4.2022)
I lowered the apex of the letter A and M, as it makes the letters look much
taller than the other letterforms. Besides, I added some curves and edges to
the strokes that I am not satisfied with shown in Fig 00. The beginning and
end of the letter C is also adjusted.
Final Part 1: Finding Type
Fig 7.12 Final Type Design Compilation Process - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.13 Final Type Design Comparison - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.14 Final Type Design - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.15 Letter A - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.16 Letter B - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.17 Letter C - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.18 Letter M - JPEG (21.4.2022)
Fig 7.19 Final Finding Type - PDF (21.4.2022)
For part 2 exercise, we are required to combine an image with either a
letter, word or a sentence. The text should integrate with the image.
Fig 8.1 Chosen Image 1, by
Jesse Bowser
on
Unsplash
(26.4.2022)
I browsed through many pictures in the past days, this is the image that
immediately caught my attention that makes me want to use it for the
exercise. I really like the atmosphere of this image. The light and shadow
of the picture makes me excited to do something with them.
Fig 8.2 Working in Photoshop (26.4.2022)
I tried distorting the perspective of the text at first, but it didn't turn
out nice, probably because the perspective in this image is not very
obvious. The text looks better by simply just rotating it.
Fig 8.3 Details (26.4.2022)
There are thin orange lines around the border of the shadow in the original
image. So, I added the same effect to my text using the brush tool.
Fig 8.4 Attempt 1 (26.4.2022)
The text was much bigger at first, but I feel that it looks overwhelming. So
I reduced the size and this is the outcome. I like it where the color of the
word "rise" is warmer and "fall" is cooler, it somehow expresses the meaning
of the words.
Font: ITC Garamond Std Bold Narrow Italic
Tools used:
- Gaussian Blur
- Brush Tool
- Smudge Tool
- Eraser
- Noise
Fig 8.5 Attempt 2 (28.4.2022)
I tried making another one with thinner strokes, as I feel the text in the
first one might seem too big to others, though I think it is fine. After
trying out, I still like the one shown in Fig 8.4 better. Despite not
being satisfied with the outcome, I discovered an easier way to create the
orange outlines by making another layer of text outline with transparent
fill, and apply gaussian blur to it.
Font: ITC Garamond Std Bold Narrow Italic
Tools used:
- Gaussian Blur
- Eraser
Fig 8.6 Chosen Image 2, by
Kasper Rasmussen
on
Unsplash
(28.4.2022)
I chose this image because I like the texture of the window, I think it
would be fun to try creating the similar texture of it.
Fig 8.7 Attempt in Photoshop (28.4.2022)
I cropped the image because I only need the window part. I tried to make it
have a miserable kind of feeling.
Fig 8.8 Details (28.4.2022)
I made the edges of the text near the light source dark blue, like how the
hand in the original image looks like. I am still not quite familiar with
the liquify tool, so the texture of the window is not truly reflected in my
text, but that is the most I can do now. I would probably need to look for
other solution to make this better.
Fig 8.9 Attempt 2 (28.4.202)
Now looking at it, I suddenly realized that it looks really depressed. I
think it reflected the mood that I planned to show at first. However, I still prefer the one in Fig 8.4.
Font: Univers LT Std Bold
Tools used:
- Perspective Warp
- Liquify
- Motion Blur
- Brush Tool
- Smudge Tool
Final Part 2: Type & Image
Fig 8.10 Final Type & Image - JPEG (28.4.2022)
Fig 8.11 Final Type & Image Before and After - JPEG (29.4.2022)
Fig 8.12 Final Type & Image - PDF (28.4.2022)
FEEDBACK
WEEK 2
General Feedback:
Generally the point size for the body text is at 8-12 pt. When dealing with
numbers within a small amount of text, reduce the point size of the numbers
by 0.5pt.
Specific Feedback:
Very good work on the axial, the hierarchy of the information is good. For
the grid system, try moving the text at the bottom left to the right
slightly, to align with the heading. Consider reducing the size of "lecture
theater 12". Bilateral system is not bilateral but multilateral, but it is
acceptable. The rest is good.
WEEK 3
General Feedback:
Make sure we find a reference before we start refining the letterforms.
While extracting letterforms, we should not just extract the lines but the
whole shape from the chosen image.
Specific Feedback:
The image that I have chosen is difficult to extract letterforms from it, as
the lines are continuous and it will be a problem to retain the
characteristic of it. What I can do is to refer to the lines and holes of
the other parts of the image when refining the letterforms, to maintain the
characteristics. My sketch seems fine, it does represent the subject and is
consistent, I can continue working on it.
WEEK 4
General Feedback:
Be aware of the consistency of the strokes. For part 2 exercise, the text
should integrate with the existing elements in the image.
Specific Feedback:
Nice work, good job. (Thank you! :D)
WEEK 5
General Feedback:
We can use different language (roman letters) for the text to match the chosen image (e.g. Italian background → Italian). Be more observant on how the objects interact with the surrounding, and apply that into the text. Manage time wisely.
Specific Feedback:
Mr Vinod said that attempt 1 is nice, it really looks like a real shadow. He
noticed that I studied the edging of the actual shadows and applied it on
the text, good job on this part. The blending at the bottom part of "fall"
must be quite difficult, because the line seems to be quite prominent in the
shadow. This is an excellent work. Make sure I have a before and after image in my blog. Mr Vinod likes attempt one better, compared to attempt 2. The third attempt is not as good as the first.
WEEK 7
Specific Feedback:
*Direct feedback in feedback sheet by Mr Vinod while marking
Ex 1& 2: Excellent right through! You will make a good graphic designer should you choose the specialization.
Eportfolio: Exemplary! (Thank you so much!)
REFLECTION
Experience:
Personally I found exercise 1 was a little difficult as the time was a quite
short for me to produce 8 layouts that I am satisfied with. The good news is
I think that I have some improvement in compositions compared to my first
semester in Typography module. For exercise 2 part 1, I was quite upset at the beginning, because Mr Vinod doesn't seem quite sure about my choice of image (Declaration: I am open to critiques :D). Luckily I gained back my confidence after the lecturer agreed on my sketch, and I am motivated to continue the task. The most difficult part in Type & Image exercise is to look for a suitable image, which I had spent two or three days doing so. This exercise helped me to learn more about Photoshop, as I haven't used it for a while. I have also learnt some new functions about the software that I didn't know before.
Observations:
I found out that I tend to start working only if I have a clear visual in
mind, which is quite troublesome when I am short in time. I think it is due
to the fear of making mistakes. To solve this problem, I should have more courage and be more explorative. My emotions are easily affected by the feedback received, for now I am not sure if it's a good or a bad thing. I should always turn my positive or negative emotions into motivation, so that I can do better. I noticed that I am quite weak at the technical execution in Photoshop, as it is not the main software that I use frequently. What I can do to improve is to explore more about the tools in Photoshop and look for tutorials on YouTube.
Findings:
I realized that reading from books is a good way to help developing ideas. I
have not only learnt from the words of the author, but also inspired by the
images, which sometimes seem to be unrelated to what I am working on. Despite learning to sketch digitally since last semester, I found out that sketching on papers with a pencil is still my preferred medium.
FURTHER READING
Fig 9.1 Typographic Systems by Kimberly Elam
Fig 9.2 The Circle and Composition, pg 12
Fig 9.3 Random System, Repetition, pg 84
The repetitive use of elements can create pattern and texture as compositional elements. However, this could reduce the legibility of the text information.
















































Comments
Post a Comment