Advanced Typography / Task 2 (A&B): Key Artwork and Collateral

29.4.2022 - 27.5.2022 (Week 5 - Week 9)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2 (A&B): Key Artwork and Collateral

Jump Links

LECTURES

All lecture 1-5 are completed in Task 1: Exercises.


INSTRUCTIONS


Task 2A: Key Artwork

We were to use our initials or names to create a key artwork, which serves as a logo but it is also an artwork. The design will be used for task 2B, which we will need to create a poster, an animated invite and three collateral items. 

1. Visual Research


Fig 1.1 PR Monogram

Fig 1.2 MJ Monogram

Fig 1.3 UP Monogram

Before I started, I had done some visual research on Pinterest to help me understand the task better. Through my visual research, I realized that the monograms that I think are interesting have something to do with the Gestalt theory, which is either the principle of closure or principle of figure-ground. After spending a few hours on Pinterest, I then began sketching out my ideas.


2. Sketches

Fig 1.4 Refined Sketches (10.5.2022)

Mr Vinod suggested us to think about what other occupation we will pursue if we were not designers, to help generate ideas. However, my ideas tend to get limited. So I decided to go the other way around during the sketching process. The above are the sketches that I like better/ could possibly work. My favorite are the two sketches at the top, using my name "Jo Min". They are basically the same, just in different dimensions. I really like the fat text, and when I look at the counter space (in this case, the black outlines instead of the white spaces), the shape is quite interesting to me. 


3. Digitization

Fig 1.5 Digitized version (12.5.2022)


Fig 1.6 Digitized key artwork - "JM" (12.5.2022)

I started digitizing the "JM"s first, as they are slightly easier. For the first one, I think it looks better in the sketch. The digitized version somehow appear to be like "JA". The second one looks fine to me, but it is less explorative. And the third one, I tried making something like an ink-trap, to make the "J" looks more visible. The organic shape of it is quite fun to look at. 


Fig 1.7 Digitized key artwork - "JOMIN" (12.5.2022)

For this two, except for the dimensions, there are slight differences, which can be seen from the black pointed parts of letter "M" and "N". The left one was adjusted instead of making them the same curvature. The one on the right follows completely the shape, which is more consistent. 


Fig 1.8 Digitized key artwork - "moey" (12.5.2022)

The one on the left was my initial idea, as I found the lowercase letters "m-o-e-y" have similar characteristics. However, it did not turn out as what I expected. Thus, I tried exploring from the first version. The right one looks much interesting compared to the left one. The letters "o" and "e" look like eyes to me. I think it has potential to become a logo of an optical shop. 


Chosen Key Artwork

Fig 1.9 Chosen Key Artwork (12.5.2022)

This is my favorite key artwork. During feedback session, Mr Vinod also agreed that this is the best out of all the designs I have. Hence, this key artwork has been chosen. 


Fig 1.10 Construction of Key Artwork (12.5.2022)

First, I drew boxes to roughly identify the placement of the letters. Then, I curved the edges of the squares. After I am satisfied, I merged the shapes using the path finder tool, and added a black square under the shape. As I found the stroke too thin, I decided to make it thicker. Since the blacks lines you see in the third picture were not actual lines (they appear to be lines as there are spaces between the white letters), I could not just make the stroke thicker by just adding the stroke width. So, I used the shape builder tool to hollow out the letters. Then, I only increased the stroke width. The fourth picture is the outcome. 


Fig 1.11 Key Artwork with grids (12.5.2022)

The square was divided into three rows, and further adjusted the columns based on the letters. The vertical strokes are the same width and height. The curvature at the bottom left and right corners is slightly more than the others to balance out the heavy section at the top. 


Fig 1.12 Color Palette (16.5.2022)

I think the key artwork looks like toy blocks. So, it will be a logo of a company that sells toy blocks. Since we were highly encouraged to keep the colors minimal, I decided to use red, yellow and black for my key artwork, as well as for the poster in Task 2B. 


Fig 1.13 Colored Key Artwork (18.5.2022)

I colored my key artwork as in the letters are like toy blocks built randomly. As I wanted to limit to two colors (excluding black and white), I actually spent quite some time to figure out which color combination looks good and how to place the colors to make it look random. 


Final Task 2A: Key Artwork

Occupation: Toy Blocks Company

Fig 1.14 Final Task 2A: Key Artwork B&W - JPEG (20.5.2022)


Fig 1.15 Final Task 2A: Key Artwork Colored - JPEG (20.5.2022)


Fig 1.16 Final Task 2A: Key Artwork - PDF (20.5.2022)


Task 2B: Collateral

For task 2B, based on the key artwork from task 2A, we will need to create a poster (A3 size), an animated invite (800/1024px) and one collateral relevant to the occupation/event. 

Visual Research

Mr Vinod highly recommended us to first start with the poster, and do the animated invite as well as the collateral once we completed the poster. As I am lacking of sensibility in layout designs, I looked for some inspiration and references on Pinterest.  

Fig 2.1 Gaskessel Oktober Poster

The shape of the key artwork in this poster is organic, the designer had used the grid system and colors to make the text stand out from the key artwork in the background. It might be a little difficult to read, but I think the layout is interesting. 


Fig 2.2 Au Revoir Simone Poster

This poster is more minimalistic. It has the title/key artwork as the main visual, and the information are placed on the key artwork, which could be another direction that I can go for. 


Fig 2.3 Kilo Kish Poster

I found my key artwork similar to the "TO THE" text in this poster. The layout is almost using the modular system. I am not sure what the yellow shape in the background is, but it somehow guides the eyes to read the information. 


1. Poster

Fig 2.4 Poster Layouts (21.5.2022)

I decided to make a poster of an event, called "Bricks & Blocks", which allows children to play with blocks produced by my company. Toy block sets will also be sold at the event. The above are the poster layouts that I have created. 


Fig 2.5 Chosen Poster Layout (21.5.2022)

I am using the same color palette as the logo. For the background, instead of pure white, I made it a light grey, it somehow fills up the emptiness and it doesn't appear too bright to the eyes. 

Font used:
Heading: Russo One
Body Text: Univers LT Std Bold and Light


Fig 2.6 Poster Alignment (25.5.2022)

I used guidelines to ensure the texts are well-aligned.


Amendment

Fig 2.7 Amended Poster (27.5.2022)

During class, Mr Vinod suggested me to add my name "JOMIN" below the key artwork, like some logos have. This is the amended version of poster. 


Fig 2.8 Mockup Poster (27.5.2022)

After finalizing the poster, I created a mockup for it. 


2. Animated Invite

Fig 2.9 Planning in Illustrator (22.5.2022)

Before animating, I planned each frame in Illustrator and separated the parts into different layers, so that it can be animated in After Effects. 


Fig 2.10 Working in After Effects (22.5.2022)

This is the first animated project done in this semester, I haven't used After Effects for quite some time. Luckily I still remember how things work in the software. 
 

Fig 2.11 Logo test animation (22.5.2022)
Kindly click on the image for a clearer view :)

I tried animating the logo first as I want to see how it will look like. I made each pieces falling from the top, and stacks up like blocks. The blobbing logo looks really fun and playful. 


Fig 2.12 Final Animated Invite (23.5.2022)
Kindly click on the image for a clearer view :)

The logo animation was a little different from before. I removed the rotate part as it doesn't match the overall mood and I made the whole logo animation quicker. I decided to maintain the squarish feature that I have in my key artwork throughout the animation, with the same color palette. 


3. Collateral


Fig 2.13 Totebag Mockup Photo

As I have mentioned earlier, toy block sets will be sold at the event. For the collateral, I decided to give out tote bags with any purchase. 


Fig 2.14 Tote bag design in Illustrator (25.5.2022)

I prefer that the tote bag is suitable to carry daily, so the design definitely won't look like a flyer printed on a tote bag to promote the event. I made a few variations of design for the tote bag. Out of the 10 designs, my favorite designs are the top left and the fourth one in the second row. They match the style of my poster and they look like something I will carry outside. However, I couldn't decide which to go for. So, both the designs will be tried out in Photoshop. 


Fig 2.15 Warping Design onto tote bag in Photoshop (25.5.2022)

I found a tutorial on how to warp an image onto an object in Photoshop, it was less complicated than I thought, but it does take some time to figure out how to make it seem real. 


Fig 2.16 Tote Bag Design 1&2 (25.5.2022)

I cropped the original image as I don't need that much white space. After editing in photoshop, I compared both of them. I like the one on the left better, it looks more attractive. I suddenly came up with an idea of combining the two designs. So, I decided to give it a try.   


Fig 2.17 Tote Bag Design 3 (26.5.2022)

I quite like how it turns out, it has the strengths of the two designs. So, I decided to use this as final. 


Final Task 2B: Collateral


Fig 2.18 Final Task 2B Poster - JPEG (27.5.2022)


Fig 2.19 Final Task 2B Mock Up Poster - JPEG (27.5.2022)


Fig 2.20 Final Task 2B Animated Invite - GIF (27.5.2022)


Fig 2.21 Final Task 2B Collateral: Tote Bag - JPEG (27.5.2022)


Fig 2.22 Final Task 2B Collateral: Flat lay - JPEG (29.5.2022)


Fig 2.23 Final Task 2B: Collateral - PDF (29.5.2022)


FEEDBACK

WEEK 7

General Feedback:
Do note that the key artwork should serve as a logo, and also an artwork. Draw a box around the created form and study the positive and negative space. We should do some research on monograms or word marks before we start, so that we learn how others create them. 

Specific Feedback:
Very good work, especially the square one, just go with it. 

WEEK 8

*Independent Learning Week

WEEK 9

General Feedback:
The poster should be inspired from the key artwork. The easiest way is to use portion of the key artwork, enlarge it and place the information within the frame interestingly. We must always do some visual research before starting, study the good works and learn from them. 

Specific Feedback:
Task 2A: Good work. 
Task 2B: Well done, maybe I should add a small wording, "JOMIN" below the key artwork. Mr Vinod prefers the one that I had chosen to the other layouts. 


REFLECTION

Experience:
For task 2, I would say that it was fun and challenging at the same time. The fun part is that we are using our names or initials to design a key artwork, which is something I had never done before. It was really exciting when I come up with a sketch that I like a lot. The challenging part is that the key artwork needs to serve as a logo and an artwork at the same time. I was kind of stuck at this part, but I managed to come up with a solution that I am satisfied with. 


Observations:
I realized that I am not used to using colors for works in this module. My work will eventually be overwhelmed with colors and contradict with the text if I do not manage properly. What I can do is to study on existing good typographical layouts and learn how the designers use colors in their designs. I should also put into use the knowledge I have gained in my works and keep practicing. 

I observed that I have major improvement in layout designs, which was one of my weaknesses in the previous semesters. I think it has something to do with my habit of looking at good compositions unconsciously and trying to understand why they are composed as such. There is definitely room for improvement, I should maintain this habit so that I can learn more, instead of just relying on what have been taught in class. 


Findings:
The key takeaway of task 2A is that the letters that we use should create an interesting form, so that the key artwork can behave like a graphical element in the poster. 

While creating the animated invite in After Effects, the layer that I was animating did not move exactly where I want it to, which had also occurred when I was doing a project for my previous semester. I found out that I need to change the default setting "auto bezier" into "linear" to solve this issue. 


FURTHER READING

Fig 3.1 Typographic Design: Form and Communication


Fig 3.2 Chapter 11: Typographic Design Education - pg199

I found the examples shown in this page are quite similar to what we are doing for Task 2A. The designers created designs using letterforms, which the form of the designs look interesting. I especially like the design at the bottom right corner, by Paul Dean. Despite the letters might be difficult to recognize, the form is really memorable and works well as a mark. 

I discovered that when creating a key artwork (especially for this task), the designer should try to achieve balance between the letter and the form, to make it work both as a logo and a graphic element. 


Fig 3.3 Chapter 11: Typographic Design Education - pg206

This page shows some examples of layouts using typographical systems. The examples helped me to recall what we have learnt in exercise 1, and gave me some inspiration to explore on the poster layout in Task 2B. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1