Typography / Final Compilation and Reflection

27.8.2021 - 26.11.2021 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Typography /Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Final Compilation and Reflection


INSTRUCTIONS

Task 1: Type Expression and Text Formatting

Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication (Text Formatting and Expression)

Task 3A: Type Design and Communication (Font Design)

Task 3B: Type Design and Communication (Greeting Sticker Design)


SUBMISSIONS

Task 1: Exercise 1 - Type Expression [21 hours]
27.8.2021 - 17.9.2021 (Week 1 - Week 4)

Fig 1.1 Final Type Expression - JPEG (10.9.2021)


Fig 1.2 Final Type Expression - PDF (10.9.2021)


Fig 1.3 Final Animated Type Expression 'Terror' - GIF (17.9.2021)



Task 1: Exercise 2 - Text Formatting [8 hours]
17.9.2021 - 24.9.2021 (Week 4 - Week 5)

Fig 2.1 Final Text Formatting - JPEG (24.9.2021)


Fig 2.2 Final Text Formatting - PDF (24.9.2021)



Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication [20 hours]
24.9.2021 - 8.10.2021 (Week 5 - Week 7)

Fig 3.1 Final Typographic Exploration and Communication - JPEG (8.10.2021)


Fig 3.2 Final Typographical Exploration and Communication - PDF (8.10.2021)



Task 3A: Type Design and Communication (Font Design) [30 hours]
8.10.2021 - 28.10.2021 (Week 7 - Week 10)

Fig 4.1 Type Design Sketches (18.10.2021)


Fig 4.2 Type Design Sketches (18.10.2021)


Fig 4.3 Final Task 3A: Type Design and Communication "Bricks" - JPEG (28.10.2021)


Fig 4.4 Final Task 3A: B&W poster - JPEG (28.10.2021)


Fig 4.5 Final Task 3A: Type Design and Communication "Bricks" - PDF (28.10.2021)


Fig 4.6 Final Task 3A: B&W poster - PDF (28.10.2021)





Task 3B: Type Design and Communication (Greeting Sticker Design) [28 hours]
29.10.2021 - 19.11.2021 (Week 10 - Week 13)

Fig 5.1 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication  B&W - PNG (18.11.2021)


Fig 5.2 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication Colored - PNG (18.11.2021)


Fig 5.3 Final Task 3B: Type Design and Communication - PDF (18.11.2021)


Fig 5.4 Final Animated Task 3B: Type Design and Communication - GIF (18.11.2021)


Fig 5.5 Screenshot of Sticker in Telegram (18.11.2021)


Fig 5.6 Screen Record of Animated Sticker in Telegram (18.11.2021)


Link for Still Sticker Pack: https://t.me/addstickers/task3bstill
Link for Animated Sticker Pack: https://telegram.me/addstickers/task3banimated


REFLECTION

Experience:
Typography is my favorite module this semester, because I am always obsessed with words, regardless of Roman letterforms or Chinese characters. At the beginning of the semester was quite tough for me, as I had no clue on how to express typographically, I basically knew nothing about typography. When my sketches for exercise 1 were approved, I felt extremely happy. This motivated me to try performing better in the following tasks, and I think I had done pretty well. The most difficult task in this module for me was actually task 2, because I am relatively weak at compositions. I struggled for days, and I finally came up with a layout that is not too bad. I had learnt a lot of things throughout the 14 weeks, not only knowledge regarding typography, but also how to be more organized in my work and some tips while designing. I would describe my experience in this module as tiring but fun and worthy. Looking forward to being in Advanced Typography in semester 2!


Observations:
I found out that I have become more observant to my surroundings, as I will unconsciously observe the texts that I see on products and advertisements, and try to find out what is good or bad about it. I must keep this habit up so that I can improve my sensitivity on typography.

Despite I had learnt to use Illustrator back in 2019, I always struggled with some tools and function in the software. With the demo videos provided, I have mastered some of the tools and learnt some additional tips that can be useful in other design works. It is amazing to see how an "Illustrator dumb" getting used to using the software.

I think asking students to provide feedback to others' work is a great way to improve, like how we did in the first few weeks, as students will have better understanding on what is expected for the task. I suggest the lecturers do this when they noticed students making the same mistakes, so that students will bear in mind.


Findings:
Throughout the 14 weeks, I had learnt that typography is a very important part of a design which should not be neglected. The choice of typeface and the arrangement of the texts can directly affect a design. When we decide on a typeface, we are not only considering whether it looks nice, but also its suitability for the context and of course, legibility. I had learnt from others that I should be more explorative when coming up with ideas, because design is about creating, not doing something right. My weakness is still compositions, though it have some improvement this semester. I should spend my semester break to learn and practice compositions so that I can do better in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1