Typography / Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication
24.9.2021- 8.10.2021 (Week 5 - Week 7)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Typography
/ Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2: Typographic
Exploration and Communication (Text Formatting and Expression)
Jump Links
LECTURES
All lectures 1-6 are completed in
Task 1: Exercise 1 & 2.
Fig 1.1 Typography task 2 process demo
In this video, Mr Vinod had demonstrated on what and how we should do in Task
2.
INSTRUCTIONS
In task 2, we are to express typographically using the texts provided in a
2-page editorial spread. No images are allowed. However, some very minor
graphical elements might be allowed. We are allowed to use Adobe Illustrator
to create headline expression, but the final layout is to be completed in
Adobe InDesign.
Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication
1. Layout Research
Fig 2.1 Layout design by Marc Valli
Fig 2.2 Layout design by The Counter Press
Fig 2.3 Layout design by EstefanÃa Leiva
I like how the text are being placed in the columns, and some images
placed out of frame. I think it makes the layout more interesting by
doing this, instead of putting everything perfectly in place.
Fig 2.4 Layout design by Milliyet Sanat
What I observed while doing visual research is that a good editorial layout
should be readable, and there is
visual hierarchy, also the layout should be
balanced.
2. Sketches
The text that I had chosen is 'Visual Communicators, Unite! Manifesto 2000'. I
started by looking for the definition of each word in the heading, and read
through the text.
Fig 3.1 Layout sketch 1(27.9.2021)
This is the first draft of my layout sketch. However, there isn't idea in
the headline design, so I redrew it after designing my headline.
Fig 3.2 Headline ideas (29.9.2021)
For visual, the three ideas with geometrical shapes, I am trying to make it
like some kind of graphic design style, expressing visual communicators.
However, I think if I do the same thing on the word 'communicators', I will be
using too much graphical elements. Also, many of my classmates have the same
idea. Therefore, I'm not going to use it. The one at the bottom right corner,
I added dots between the stems of 'V' and 'A', representing an eye from the
side view.
Fig 3.3 Layout sketch 2 (2.10.2021)
This is my sketches for the layout, but they are just some ideas about
how I can arrange the information. I prefer exploring more layouts while
doing in InDesign, because I will have a clearer view.
Fig 3.4 Different versions of 'unite' (4.10.2021)
I tried out different combinations, by altering the typefaces, the weight
of the columns and the color. I decided to use the ones written in
Baskerville (three designs above), because I am using Univers for the
heading, it shows stronger contrast. I will try three of them out in my
layout to see which looks more suitable.
3. Digital Progression
Fig 4.1 Hidden characters and alignment (6.10.2021)
Fig 4.2 Hidden characters and alignment (6.10.2021)
Fig 4.3 Hidden characters and alignment (6.10.2021)
Layouts
Fig 4.4 Layouts (7.10.2021)
Shortlisted Layouts
Fig 4.6 Layout 1 (7.10.2021)
Typeface: Univers Lt Std Roman and Bold (heading, lead-in text),
ITC New Baskerville Roman (heading, body text)
Point size: 8 pt (body text-names), 10 pt (body text), 16 pt (lead-in
text), 22pt (heading), 40 pt (heading)
Leading: 12 pt (body text), 24 pt (lead-in text), 36 pt (heading)
Paragraph spacing: 12 pt
Line length: 58 characters
Among all the layouts I had done, this is my favorite. I utilized the
characteristic of my idea for 'unite' by adding lines above the body text,
and I think it creates a certain amount of flow. I will choose this as final
submission. (Screenshot of hidden characters for this layout is at Fig 4.1)
Fig 4.7 Layout 2 (7.10.2021)
Typeface: Univers Lt Std Roman and Bold (heading, lead-in text), ITC New
Baskerville Roman (heading, body text)
Point size: 10 pt (body text), 18 pt (lead-in text), 23 pt
(heading), 40 pt (heading)
Leading: 12 pt (body text), 24 pt (lead-in text), 36 pt
(heading)
Paragraph spacing: 12 pt
Line length: 58 characters
I like the headline tilted, but I think the connection of the headline and
the body text is not strong enough. (Screenshot of hidden characters for
this layout is at Fig 4.2)
Typeface: Univers Lt Std Roman and Bold (heading, lead-in text), ITC New
Baskerville Roman (heading, body text)
Point size: 8 pt (body text-name), 10 pt (body text), 16 pt
(lead-in text), 20 pt (heading), 35 pt (heading)
Leading: 12 pt (body text), 24 pt (lead-in text), 36 pt
(heading)
Paragraph spacing: 12 pt
Line length: 39 characters
This layout, I think it is able to grab attention, because the dark color
creates an impact to the eye. However, the overall layout looks less
interesting. (Screenshot of hidden characters for this layout is at Fig 4.3)
Final Typographic Exploration and Communication
Fig 4.10 Final typographic exploration and communication - PDF
(8.10.2021)
FEEDBACK
WEEK 6
General Feedback:
The headline and the body text should have connection. You can use minor
graphic elements to create flow in your layout. The body text should have
same line lengths. The overall shape of the layout should not be too
complex.
Specific Feedback:
The unite design that is in the unite symbol is good, can work on that.
WEEK 7
General Feedback:
We must express the headline typographically.
Specific Feedback:
The headline expression idea is good The overall layout has good balance.
The typesetting is good. Good progress for the E-portfolio, keep it up.
However, space out the captions from the paragraphs.
REFLECTION
Experience:
This project was quite difficult for me, because I struggled to come up with
layouts that I am satisfied with. I am relatively weak at compositions, but
I think I had improved a little by doing this exercise, although I still
have a lot to learn. For me, this task is less enjoyable than the previous
task, but I am glad that I have this opportunity to gain more knowledge and
experiences.
Observations:
I found out that doing visual research extremely useful as it can help to
come up with ideas. Besides, I can think of more ideas while sketching on
unused papers instead of sketching on my sketchbook, I tend to get limited
by a proper sketchbook due to fear of making mistakes.
Finding:
I realized that my composition sense is quite weak. Therefore, I will have
to observe more existing good works and try using what I had learnt while
doing exercises. I can also try experimenting without bothering whether I am
doing it right during free time.
Also, I tend to compare myself with others a lot. I get stressed when seeing
great artworks, and this sometimes make me unable to focus on what I am
doing. What I can do is to learn from the great artworks, instead of
comparing my artwork with them.
FURTHER READING
Fig 5.2 Chapter 5: Syntax and Communication - ABA Form, pg 106
This part of the book is about a structure used in typographic
communication, which is the ABA form. By arranging the information or
elements in ABA form, rhythm and contrast can be achieved.
Fig 5.3 Chapter 6: The Typographic Message - Verbal/ Visual Equation,
pg 115



Comments
Post a Comment