Design Principles / Exercise 1

24.8.2021 - 17.9.2021 (Week 1 - Week 4)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercise 1: Contrast & Gestalt

LECTURES

Week 1

Lecture 1.1 Introduction to Elements & Principles of Design

Elements of Design:
1. Point
  • the simplest element of design
  • a point used as repetitive mark forms a line
  • point moves in space → 2D & 3D figures and forms are created
Figure 1.1 Point used repetitively forms a Line (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lectures)


2. Line
  • active / static ; aggressive  / passive ; sensual / mechanical
  • indicate directions, define boundaries of shapes & spaces, imply volumes / solid masses, suggest motion / emotion
  • can be grouped → depict qualities of light & shadow ; form patterns & textures
Figure 1.2 Different types of line (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lectures)

3. Shape
  • the expanse within outline of 2D area or within the 3D object
  • becomes visible when: 1) a line / lines enclose an area
                                                     2) an apparent change in value, color or texture
  • General Category of Shapes: 1) Geometric ; 2) Organic

4. Form
  • 2D area → shape ; 3D area → form
  • volume: when form encloses space
  • a major element in sculpture & architecture
  • form must be implied with 2D media (example: painting, illustration, drawing) by shading and perspectives

5. Texture
  • the tactile qualities of surfaces / the visual representation of those qualities
  • all surfaces have textures → can be experienced by touching or through visual suggestion
  • Two Categories of Texture : 1) Actual - experienced by touch
                                                             2) Simulated / Implied - created to look like the real texture

6. Space
  • the undefinable, general receptacle of all things - empty space around us
  • 2D media (drawing, prints, photographs, paintings) → we see the space of the surface all at once
  • the actual spaces of each picture's surface is defined by its edges - the two dimensions of height & width
  • within limited boundaries, an infinite number of spatial qualities can be implied
3D space is experienced when we are in it
→ our positions in relation to others
→ object surfaces
→ voids at various distances from ourselves

From the outside, we experience mass
From the inside, we experience volume

  • in graphic design: space / depth → the area that a shape or form occupies
  • can be defined as positive (filled space) or negative (empty space)
  • illusion of a 3D space can be suggested through depth
  • can be achieved by overlapping images, the variation of sizes, placement & perspective

7. Color
  • the visual byproduct of the spectrum of light → transmitted through a transparent medium
                                                                                           → absorbed & reflected off a surface
  • color: the light wavelengths that the human eye receives and processes from a reflected source

Each of the million colors human beings can distinguish is identifiable in terms of three variables:
1. Hue: colors of the spectrum
2. Value: the lightness / darkness from white through grey to black
3. Intensity / Saturation / Chroma: purity of  a hue

Figure 1.3 Pigment scale: Tint, Tone and Shade

https://learn.leighcotnoir.com/artspeak/elements/-color/hue-value-saturation/
Figure 1.4 Light scale

Color Schemes: color grouping that provide distinct color harmonies

1. Monochromatic Color Schemes: based on variations in the value and intensity of a hue
2. Analogous Color Scheme: based on colors adjacent to one another on the color wheel each containing the same pure hue.
3. Complementary Color Schemes: emphasizes two hues directly opposite each other on the color wheel.


Principles of Design:
1. Contrast
2. Balance
3. Emphasis
4. Rules of Third
5. Repetition / Pattern / Rhythm
6. Movement
7. Hierarchy
8. Alignment
9. Harmony
10. Unity
11. Proportion



Lecture 1.2 Contrast & Gestalt Theory

Contrast
  • the juxtaposition of strongly dissimilar elements
  • without contrast, visual experience would be monotonous
  • provides visual interest, emphasize a point and express content
  • can be seen in: movies, social media, poster, interior design, architectural work, photography,...
  • achieved by: color, position, lighting,...
Figure 2.1 A scene from the movie "Joker"  (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lectures)

Gestalt Theory
  • human brain → wired to see patterns, logic, structure
  • "Gestalt": "shape" or "forms" in German
  • Gestalt Principles / Law: describe how the human eye perceives visual elements
  • → aim to show how complex scenes can be reduced to more simpler shapes
  • → aim to explain how the eyes perceive the shapes as a single united form, rather than the separate simpler elements involves
Gestalt Principles: 
1. Principle of Similarity
  • human eye perceive similar elements in a design as a complete picture, shape or group, even if those elements are separated
  • the brain crafts a link between elements of a similar nature

2. Principle of Continuation
  • human eye follows the paths, lines, curves of a design
  • prefers to see a continuous flow of visual elements rather than separated objects
Figure 2.2 Logo of Wella Professionals

3. Principle of Closure
  • human eye prefers to see complete shapes
  • if visual elements are not complete → perceive a complete shape by filling in missing visual information

4. Principle of Proximity
  • the process of ensuring related design elements are placed together
  • unrelated items → spaced apart
  • Close Proximity: items are connected / have a relationship to each other
  • become one visual unit → helps to organize or give structure to a layout
  • Example: website design

5. Principle of Figure / Ground
  • objects are instinctively perceived as being either in the foreground or the background
  • the figure: stand out prominently in the front
  • the ground: recede into the back

6. Law of Symmetry & Order
  • elements that are symmetrical to each other tend to be perceived as a unified group
  • similar to law of similarity
  • objects that are symmetrical with each other will be more likely to be grouped together than objects not symmetrical with each other
Figure 2.3 A design of an owl using law of symmetry & order

Additional:
  • Law of Uniform Connectedness
  • Law of Prägnanz
  • Law of Common Fate


INSTRUCTION

Exercise 1 - Contrast & Gestalt

For exercise 1 , we are required to design two artworks, one for contrast and another for Gestalt Theory. 


VISUAL RESEARCH

Fig 3.1 Design by alexnabaum

The artist uses the principle of figure/ground in this artwork. Below in the image are factories, and the toxic gas emitted by the factories forms a woman raising her left arm, like she is protesting for something. The message being conveyed is human should stop harming the nature to slow down global warming.


Fig 3.2 Design by unknown artist

This is a Japanese restaurant logo designed by an unknown artist, also using the principle of figure/ground. It is a hand holding a chopstick and also a crane. The red circle on the white background also indicates the national flag of Japan, it gives a hint to the viewers that this is a Japanese restaurant.


Fig 3.3 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch

In this famous artwork, the lines shows movement, especially the wavy strokes of the figure and the background. Complementary colors are also used in this piece to show stronger contrast.


IDEA EXPLORATION

1) Contrast

Fig 4.1 A rough sketch of my first idea (28.8.2021)

At first, I wanted to draw a person sitting alone in the corner and there is light shining from the window towards him. I think the composition is too boring and it looks flat. However, I couldn't think of a solution that I am satisfied with. So, I decided to draw something else.


Fig 4.2 A rough sketch of my second idea (30.8.2021)

Then, I thought of making contrast between shapes and scale. Again, I think the composition looks boring. So I didn't proceed with a more detailed sketch.


Fig 4.3 Contrast design sketch (8.9.2021)

I was inspired by the crows cackling outside my house. Although crows can be really disturbing at some times,  I think humans have too much prejudice over crows. They are often associated with death and bad luck. In fact, they are just birds. I decided to draw a crow, just like drawing other animals.


Fig 4.4 Crow reference

I looked for reference online so that the anatomy and colors of my drawing will be more accurate.


Fig 4.5 Contrast design painted (11.9.2021)

I haven't painted a watercolor piece without messing it up for a long time. I was really scared that I would ruin this piece too, but I decided to take the risk because I have to overcome it. Fortunately, it didn't turn out bad, I think it is still acceptable. I am still thinking if I should paint the eye, as it will be more contrasting. At the same time, I don't want the crow look aggressive. 


Fig 4.6 Contrast Design (15.9.2021)

At last, I decided to make the eye red. Instead of watercolor, I used color paper and added some details using color pencils. I like how it turned out, the crow doesn't look aggressive, I think it's like a ruby in its eye. I also considered the framing, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right. I left quite much of empty space to balance out the crow on the left, and I rotated it a little as I think it looks better this way.


Final Contrast

Fig 4.7 Final Contrast Design - JPEG (15.9.2021)

Rationale: Humans have too many prejudices towards crows. Crows are often associated with death and bad luck. In fact, they are just birds, but intelligent. I drew this crow, just like how I draw other animals, without showing bias. The red eye looks like a ruby, which represents elegance.


 Fig 4.8 Final Contrast Design - PDF (15.9.2021)

2) Gestalt

At first, I look for more artworks done by others on the Internet to find inspirations.

Fig 4.9 Inspiration of first gestalt idea (29.8.2021)

I suddenly saw the silhouette of a dog when I was staring at the wall, though it isn't that obvious in the picture above. I immediately started sketching out ideas. 


Fig 4.10 First sketch of idea 1 (29.8.2021)

I tried to combine the dog with a triceratops, but I think it isn't using the figure/ground principle.


Fig 4.11 Second sketch of idea 1 (29.8.2021)

I came up with another sketch, using the figure/ground principle. It is about the love between humans and dogs. I like the idea, but I think it didn't turn out nice, probably the face which causes that. However, removing the face makes it look like animal abuse. So, I decided to go for something else.



I wanted to create something about the environment. So I drew this, which was inspired by the light and shadows in my washroom. (I didn't get to take a picture of it due to some reasons.)
Fig 4.12 Gestalt Sketch 2(30.8.2021)

This is a sketch of my idea drawn digitally on phone. I used the principle of figure/ground. My concept is 'urbanization causes pollution'. As you can see from the image above, this is a city which is developing rapidly.


Fig 4.13 Gestalt Sketch rotated 180° (30.8.2021)

When it is rotated 180°, the white color part is a plastic bag, one of the most harmful things to the environment. The plastic bag part looks weird, I need to work on that.


Fig 4.14 Gestalt Design: 'Pollution' (9.9.2021)

I named this 'Pollution', it's like giving a hint to the viewers to discover the plastic bag. It is not just a drawing of buildings, there is something hiding inside. I made some changes for the shape of the buildings so that the plastic bag can be seen more clearly. I also added windows for the buildings.


Fig 4.15 Gestalt Design Rotated 180° (9.9.2021)

The part white color part is the plastic bag. It looks more obvious compared to my sketch. The two long strips are the handle of a plastic bag, the rest is the bag. I didn't draw the whole plastic bag within the frame, as it will look awkward and I want the viewers to discover it themselves. 

 

Final Gestalt

Fig 4.16 Final Gestalt Design - JPEG (15.9.2021)

Rationale: This design is about a city developing rapidly. However, pollution is still caused despite having civilized humans in this city. Therefore, an upside down plastic bag hiding in the design.

Fig 4.17 Final Gestalt Design - PDF (15.9.2021)


FEEDBACK

Framing is very important in a composition. This exercise is not just to fulfil the requirements,  you should think of what makes it unique, what do you want the viewers to see.


REFLECTION

I found this quite challenging, mostly because I am not able to think of ideas. For me, I think gestalt is harder as I have not heard of it before. Through this exercise, I am able to know more about design fundamentals, which is crucial as a designer. I also learned to accept my own weaknesses and flaws, and I will put effort to improve.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1