Design Principles / Exercise 2

31.8.2021 - 17.9.2021 (Week 2 - Week 4)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercise 2: Emphasis/ Balance/ Repetition/ Movement


Jump Links

LECTURES

WEEK 2

Lecture 2 Balance & Emphasis

1. Balance
  • the distribution of visual weight in a work of design
  • visual equilibrium
  • symmetrical / asymmetrical
Symmetrical Balance
  • has equal "weight" on equal sides of a centrally placed fulcrum
  • bilateral balance: equal arrangement of elements on either side of the central axis (horizontal / vertical)
  • radial balance: arranging elements equally around a central point
  • approximate symmetry: when equivalent but not identical forms are arranged around the fulcrum line
Fig 1.1 Symmetrical Balance: The Birth of Venus

Asymmetrical Balance
  • unequal visual weight on each side of the composition
  • one side of the composition → contain a dominant element (could be balanced by lesser focal points on the other side)
  • more dynamic & interesting
  • evokes feelings of modernism, movement, energy & vitality
  • offers more visual variety
  • more difficult to achieve → relationships between elements are more complex
Fig 1.2 Asymmetrical Balance (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)
Explanation: 
  • bottom left corner has smaller portion but seems balanced → black color  visually weighs more
  • perspective → indicates the background is wide


The Golden Ratio (phi /Golden Mean /Golden Section)
  • a number that goes on indefinitely (1.618033988749895...)
  • ratio comes from the Fibonacci sequence (a naturally occurring sequence of numbers that can be found everywhere)
  • representative of perfect beauty  / is uniquely found throughout nature
  • a guide to create visual balance in architecture & paintings
  • for designers, illustrators or digital artists → can be used to bring harmony, balance and structure to one's work 
  • increase the appeal of a design work
Fig 1.3 Golden Ratio in website design (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)


Rule of Thirds
  • a composition guideline to create more dynamism to a work of design / photography / film / painting
  • an image divided into third horizontally and vertically, subject of image placed at the intersection of those dividing lines, or along one of the lines

2. Emphasis and Dominance

  • Emphasis: used to create dominance & focus in a design work
  • various elements (color, shapes, value) can be used to create emphasis to achieve dominance
Fig 1.4 Emphasis (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)

Lecture 3 Repetition & Movement

1. Repetition Pattern and Rhythm

  • make a work of design seem active
  • creates rhythm and pattern within the work
  • Variety* → keep rhythms exciting & active, and to avoid monotony
  • pattern → increases visual excitement by enriching surface interest
*Variety: a change / slight difference in elements and objects in composition, to avoid a boring composition. It can also involve varying angles, exposure, composition, etc.


additional: closed & open composition
Fig 2.1 Repetition (closed composition) (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)
Fig 2.2 Repetition (open composition) (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)

2. Movement

  • the way a design leads the eyes in, around, and through a composition → "the path the eyes follows"
  • occurs when objects seem to be moving in a visual image
  • movement in visual image comes from the kinds of shapes, forms, line, and curves that are used
Fig 2.3 Movement presented in Shapes (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)

Hierarchy
  • the choreography of content in a composition → to communicate information & convey message
  • visual hierarchy directs viewers to the most important information first, and identifies navigation through secondary content
  • "where to look at"
Fig 2.4 Hierarchy in kaodim website design (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)

Alignment
  • placement of elements in a way that edges line up along common rows or columns, or their bodies along a common center
  • creates a sense of unity & cohesion → contributes to the design's overall aesthetic and perceived stability
  • a powerful means of leading a person though a design
Fig 2.5 Good, poor and mixed alignment


INSTRUCTION


Exercise 2 - Emphasis / Balance /Repetition / Movement

In exercise 2, we are required to choose two principles from emphasis, balance, repetition and movement, and produce one design each.


VISUAL RESEARCH

Fig 3.1 'The Dance II' by Henri Matisse

In this piece of artwork, complementary colors, blue and orange, are used which created a strong contrast. There is also repetition, as the five human figures look similar, but with different poses and angles. Besides, this piece shows movement, where you can see the people are dancing together.


Fig 3.2 Poster design by Áron Jancsó

The artist uses words to form an illustration in this poster. You can see movement in this piece of artwork, where the words are arranged into straight lines, indicating speed. Although there are only a few graphic elements used in this piece, a clear image of a person riding a bike can still be seen.


Fig 3.3 Poster design by Malika Favre (ins: @malikafavre)

This is the poster of 51 Montreux Jazz Festival. The artist cleverly used the positive and negative space to form people dancing and musical instruments. Movement can also be seen in this poster as it looks like the women are dancing. There is repetition too, similar woman figure is used repetitively.



IDEA EXPLORATION

1) Emphasis

Fig 4.1 paper art by Margaret Scrinkl

I had no idea what to design at first, so I scrolled through social media to look for idea. Then, I saw the paper art done by @scrinkl (click to view her amazing artworks) on Instagram, and I thought it would be great to create one. I wanted to do it manually, but I don't have all materials needed at home. So I tried doing it digitally.


Fig 4.2 First sketch of emphasis design (5.9.2021)

My first idea was actually to create the landscape of a desert, but I think it will turn out too simple.


Fig 4.3 Second sketch of emphasis design (6.9.2021)

The second sketch is a cozy place in the forest, where nobody else is there, and someone is camping there, enjoying the tranquility alone. I like the peacefulness of this sketch, so I digitized this.


Fig 4.4 Scene from movie 'Frozen 2'

I really like the color scheme of the enchanted forest in Frozen 2. I used this as a reference for my artwork.


Fig 4.5 Emphasis design (8.9.2021)

I tried to use the knowledge that I had learnt as much as I can. When you look at the whole design, the emphasized part is the elements within the circle frame. And when you look only inside the circle frame, the emphasis is the tent. Balance and repetition can also be seen in this design.


Fig 4.6 Emphasis design (15.9.2021)

I think the composition of the previous version looks flat, and the tent doesn't really stands out. So, I made some changes to the composition by rearranging the trees and the hills. I also changed the color of the tent from green to blue, as blue and orange are complementary colors, it makes the tent more obvious in the design. 

Final Emphasis

Fig 4.7 Final Emphasis Design - JPEG (15.9.2021)

Rationale: I want to show the tranquility of the woods, and someone is enjoying the peacefulness alone. The overall color scheme is warm, and I made the tent blue to emphasize it.

Fig 4.8 Final Emphasis design - PDF (15.9.2021)

2) Repetition

I personally like traditional patterns a lot, so I think it would be great if I could create my own pattern. 
Fig 4.9 Batik pattern example

One of my favorite traditional patterns is batik. Thus, I looked for some examples of batik pattern online, and I found something in common. Most of them are floral patterns due to religious culture.


Process

For this exercise, I decided to do it manually. I used the quartet continuous drawing method in this exercise.

Fig 4.10 Sketch of pattern (30.8.2021)

I started by sketching out pattern on my sketchbook. Until I got the desired pattern, cut the pattern out. It is better to work on something thicker, so that it will be easier to trace.


Fig 4.11 Trace pattern onto paper (30.8.2021)

Next, place it on a piece of paper and trace. I had drawn columns before tracing, to make sure every patterns are traced in the right place.


Fig 4.12 Pattern finish painting (31.8.2021)

I painted it using poster color. For details, I used a calligraphy pen to draw as it is easier to control.
Although it was time-consuming, the process was really fun.


Fig 4.13 Repetition Design (31.8.2021)

I like how it turns out, I think it will look nice if it's really a batik (I should probably try doing that!). I also tried doing it digitally because it doesn't look perfect. However, the digitized version looks like something is missing. I think imperfection is what makes it alive, just like how every one of us are. We are not perfect, that's why we are unique, that's why we are alive. 


Final Repetition

Fig 4.14 Final Repetition Design- JPEG (15.9.2021)

Rationale: Batik is one of my favorite pattern designs, I think it would be great if I could create my own pattern based on batik. So, I drew this. I tried drawing it digitally, but it turns out too perfect and I don't really like it. Therefore, I submitted the hand-drawn version, I like how it is imperfect.

Fig 4.15 Final Repetition Design - PDF (15.9.2021)


FEEDBACK

When you are creating something, you should consider what do you want the viewers to perceive. The way you frame an artwork can make huge impact on it.


REFLECTION

In this exercise, I felt less stressful because I am more clear about what emphasis, balance, repetition and movement mean. I actually had fun while doing the exercise, because I am not producing something to submit, but something I like. I found out that doing manually is more my style, I will try to do more if possible. Through this exercise, I think my compositing sense has improved a little, I can think of solution to make my piece more interesting. Of course, this is not enough, I got a lot to learn. I hope to get better throughout time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1