Major Project // Final Year Project
22.4.2024 - 9.8.2024 (Week 1 - Week 16)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Major Project / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Final Year Project
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Major Project / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Final Year Project
Jump Links
LECTURES
WEEK 1
On week 1, we were briefed on what we are expected to produce in this
module.
Topic of project (either 1):
1. Dissertation Topic
2. Client Project
3. Brand New Topic
The project must have one or more of below:
- What's the purpose?
- Who will benefit from this?
- What problem is solved?
In this semester, we are allowed to work in groups, group members can be from
different specializations.
INSTRUCTIONS
Proposal
Fig 1.1 Ideation
I will be doing an animated short film for my final year project. After the
briefing on the first week, these are the ideas that I came up. Personally I
prefer to go with the first idea, as I felt that it will be interesting to be
animated. However, the story still needs to be refined as it is still very
raw.
On week 2, Mr Kamal have given feedback that the first idea is a bit lacking
in the storytelling and structure. For instance, the main character doesn't
have a goal to achieve, and the monster does not contribute much at the end of
the story.
There is a upcoming competition themed "Equality". Hence, Mr Kamal gave some
suggestions on how I can amend the story, at the same time fits in the theme
of the competition.
Fig 1.2 Revised Idea
I revised the first story that I came up during week 1 based on the feedback
received from Mr Kamal. I was given feedback to amend some parts of the story
to improve the storytelling.
Fig 1.3 Main Character, Emy - Version 1
This is the initial design for the main character Emy. He is not specifically
any creature, but he does resemble a mouse. For his clothing, it was
medieval-referenced as I feel the style of the clothes fits the fantasy genre
of the story. I was debating whether he should wear hood and a dress, as all
these needs to be animated as the character moves. At the end, I decided to
keep them, but reduced most of the details that I originally had.
During the feedback session, Mr Kamal suggested that I make it more cute like
one of the panels from the storyboard. The colors should also be a more
monotoned palette.
Fig 1.4 Main Character, Emy - Version 2
Based on the feedback given by Mr Kamal, I amended the design of Emy. There
were more details in Emy's clothing, but I decided to keep it as simple
as possible as it will be too challenging to animate.
Fig 1.5 Monster - Version 1
In the first version of the story, the antagonist is a shadow monster that
can't survive under sun light. I was thinking of having the monster to be
naive and child-like, as it didn't know the consequences to others of having
the sun trapped, thus the rather innocent appearance.
However, it will be challenging to make it look nice in the scenes due to the
color. If there is no sun, there will be no light source. The design also
don't have a focal point and a nice silhouette, which will appear "illegible"
in the animation.
Fig 1.6 Monster - Version 2
I redesigned the character based on the revised story. The sun will become the
source of energy for plants in the story setting, while the monster is a
creature that relies on the sun to live, like the plants.
To depict this feature of the monster, I have incorporated elements like
leaves, antlers (which resembles tree branches) in the design. The design is
inspired by an image of a Malaysian folklore creature that I have seen from
the Internet, called Sang Kelembai.
Fig 1.7 Storyboard - Draft 1
This is the storyboard that I worked on during week 2. I was given feedback
that the connection between the character, the sun, and the hut is unclear.
Judging from the current storyboard, the duration of the animation will be too
long to be completed within the semester. Mr Kamal suggested some ideas on how
I can revise the some shots, in order to make the storytelling clearer.
Fig 1.8 Storyboard - Draft 2
The second story looks ok, but the animation duration might still be too long.
I removed some more scenes, and tried to simplify some parts as much as
possible.
Fig 1.9 Finalized Storyboard
I refined the storyboard even more after having consultation with Mr Kamal.
The above is the final storyboard.
Fig 1.10 Animatic - Draft 1
I showed Mr Kamal the first draft of my animatic without the audio. I was
given some feedback to adjust some scenes to improve the cinematography.
Fig 1.11 Animatic - with audio
I revised some scenes of the animatic based on the feedback given. I also
edited a rough audio for the animatic. All audios are downloaded from the
Internet.
Final Proposal
Fig 1.12 Final Proposal (23.8.2024)
Execution
Fig 2.1 Leadsheet
I created a lead sheet documenting the details of each scenes, so that it it
easier to know what assets do I need to prepare for the scenes and how I want
the scenes to be animated.
Fig 2.2 Scene Status Tracker in Miro
As I am not working according to the order of the scenes, it is a bit
challenging for me to keep track on my progression with the lead sheet, in my
opinion. So I created a status tracker in Miro using the sticky notes. The
status is being differentiated by the colors of the sticky notes. I also used
this to take note of what needs to be done for certain scenes and to track
which scenes have been exported and ready to composite.
Fig 2.3 Background in Photoshop
After completing the animatic, I started working on the background drawings
for the animation. All backgrounds are hand drawn in Photoshop.
For the scenes that requires the background to be zoomed in a lot, I've drawn
them on a 4K resolution canvas, which turns out quite well in the animation
without being pixelated.
After consideration, I decided to use Adobe Animate as the software to animate
my animation. I was thinking of doing puppet animation, but considering it
will take some time to create a decent character build, at last I chose to
animate frame by frame. With this method, it is easier to achieve a natural
motion compared to puppet animation. However, it is more time-consuming, and
have to be aware to of having the characters being way too off model.
Fig 2.4 Animation - Rough
I started out by animating using the fluid brush tool to create the rough
animation.
Fig 2.5 Animation - Cleanup
After I am happy with the rough animation, I cleaned up the animation using
the paint brush tool. Unlike the fluid brush tool, the paint brush tool create
line strokes instead fills, which mean it is easier to edit the lines.
Cleaning up took more time than I expected, which I found it quite surprising.
To save time, some parts of the animation are done using symbols and classic
tween. After converting the tween to keyframes, I manually adjusted some of
the frames to my favor.
Fig 2.6 After Effects - Before Post Production
Fig 2.7 After Effects - After Post Production
After the animation is completed in Adobe Animate, I imported the FLA file
into After Effects to make any necessary edits based on the scenes. Mostly I
used After Effects for color grading, effects, shadow, and camera movement.
It's really fun to make these edits in After Effects.
Fig 2.8 Post Production - Editing & Sound Effects
I exported the clips in After Effects and imported into Premiere Pro for
compositing and adding sound effects. Most of the sound effects and music are
downloaded from the internet. I recorded some sounds on my own as I did not
manage to find the desired audio that matches the scene. I even reused a
running audio I did for a past assignment in the previous semester.
Fig 2.9 Final Animation - The Journey
The above is the final animation, entitled "The Journey". The story is about a
brave little creature named Emy on a mission to bring back the sun that was
being trapped by the greedy monster.
In a far away land, plants rely on their sun as the source of energy to live.
One day, a greedy monster trapped the sun in a hut in the deep forest, so he
can own all the energy. Emy, as a gardening lover, decided to go on a journey
to restore the sun. What will happen to Emy? Will he defeat the monster and
bring back the sun?
Fig 2.10 Trailer
I also edited a trailer for the animated short film.
Fig 2.11 Sound Effects & Background Music Credits
Huge thanks to the creators!
Fig 2.12 Poster
The above is the poster design for my animated short film, The Journey. In the
design, I chose to include both of the characters as they are equally
important to bring out theme, Equality, of the story. To enhance the idea of
equality, I included the
Fig 2.13 Merchandise - Acrylic Keychain
I prepared some merchandise for our showcase "24.Interlude" on week 16. I made
two keychain designs of the two characters. As the two characters have very
different sizes, I decided to go with a chibi art style, which allows me to
maintain them in similar sizes for the actual printed keychain.
Fig 2.14 Merchandise - Postcard
For the postcard, I reused the design from the poster and the final scene of
the animation.
Final Major Project
Fig 2.15 Final Animated Short Film - "The Journey"
Fig 2.16 Trailer
Fig 2.17 Poster
Fig 2.18 Merchandise - Acrylic Keychain
Fig 2.19 Merchandise - Postcard
Fig 2.20 Final Deck
FEEDBACK
WEEK 2
General Feedback:
We are encouraged to participate in the Taiwan International Student Design
Competition.
Specific Feedback
30/4 (Tues)
It is advisable that my story follows the three act structure. The goal of the
main character is unclear, and the monster has no contribution at the end of
the story. Suggestion: protagonist is on a journey in the forest, encounters
the antagonist. passed through the portal, figured out they have equal powers.
battle. Protagonist outsmarted antagonist, escaped from the portal and locked
antagonist inside.
2/5 (Thurs)
The story is ok but might be too long. The end of the story by having the two
characters befriended is nice. It would be great if the protagonist heals the
antagonist. Add a glimpse of how the sun was being trapped.
WEEK 3
The connection between the character, the sun and the hut is unclear.
- Why is the sun important to Emy? (perhaps related to his job - to take care the nature)
- How did Emy know where to find the sun? (Emy knows the surrounding and he can make a guess where it is based on what
he saw from the cliff)
- refine storyboard
- character design for monster
- hut design
WEEK 4
Considering remove the walking scenes if it does not contribute to the
storytelling. The sun is not the light source but the source of energy for
the plants and the monster. Somehow the monster is greedy, so it trapped the
sun and wants to own the energy from the sun. Revise Emy color, make the
design more cute. The current monster design needs a focal point, refer to
Kaonashi (one of the characters from Spirited Away). Make sure the
proportion of the 3 acts is correct. Work faster!
WEEK 5
The flowers withering should be slower, so that it has a connection with
the source of energy, can also play around with shadows for this scene.
The part where the monster absorbs the energy should also be longer as it
is important to the story. Flip the direction of Emy running towards the
hut (the part towards the end of act 2), he should run from left to right,
as the hut is on the right of the screen. The wound of the monster should
be identical from the previous scenes for continuity. After releasing the
"sun", it is better to show the plants from dead to alive. Consider adding
reaction of the monster towards Emy gifting flowers. The hut at the end is
a bit distracting, could move to the center or remove it. The main focus
of the scene is Emy gifting flowers and the monster, to indicate their
friendship. Don't animate following the animatic 100%, make some
improvement.
WEEK 6
The animatic looks ok. The quality of the background drawings is fine.
Create a sheet to list down all scenes, try to reuse some backgrounds as
time is limited.
WEEK 7
The animation quality is quite well, but need to make sure progress in on
track.
WEEK 8
*Independent Learning Week
WEEK 9
The animation quality is fine. For the presentation next week, focus more
on the progress. For better continuity, it is recommended to edit the
completed scenes with the animatic.
WEEK 10
There is a presentation during week 10 for every students taking the
module. After the progress presentation, feedback was given by all
supervisors. I was given feedback that the overall animation is fine, but
I can improve in the perspective of the backgrounds, as the characters may
appear floating on the plane. Mr Kannan also gave suggestions on adding
some shots to display the size difference of the two characters.
WEEK 11
Keep working, try to make it for the competition.
REFLECTION
First of all I would like to congratulate myself for completing the animation.
I would also want to thank all the supervisors of the module and my peers who
have helped and supported me throughout. To sum up the experience, it is a
very tiring but meaningful process.
Rethinking from the beginning of the semester until what I have achieved now,
it feels fascinating. Although the final output could have been better if I
worked faster and if there is more time, but I think it is quite acceptable as
a mostly-solo-project (I still have my supervisors :D) and my very first
animated short film. During the pre-production phase, I wasn't sure how
exactly the outcome will be. Am I good enough to present the visuals as I
wanted? Does the aesthetic of the characters and environment design match?
Those were my concerns, but due to the tight timeframe, I can only stop
thinking about them and trust the process. I would say the final animation has
met my expectations, which I am really grateful of.
I truly think that my internship has helped me a lot to make all these happen.
During my internship, I have learnt more about the animation principles as
well as some dos and don'ts in animation, and also improved my drawing skills
(especially fore-shortening). I am very happy to see my improvement, and I am
motivated to do better next time. I have also learnt how the project files are
managed during internship, which is really helpful as I can easily navigate
all my files.
There are a few things that I noticed that I am lacking right now. First is
that I need to work harder on compositions. Personally I think that I have
improved compared to the previous semesters, but it is still not enough if I
were to produce animated films in the future. I should watch more films or any
relevant materials and study from them. Besides that, I also want to further
expand my knowledge in sound design. Sound design is quite interesting, but
due to the lack of knowledge, I wasn't able to achieve exactly what I
imagined. While I was searching the sound effects online, I came across many
cinematic sound designs that sounds wonderful. So I want to spend some time to
learn more about this.
My journey as a student and as an animator doesn't stop here. I sincerely hope
that I will do better an better in the future.




Comments
Post a Comment