Minor Project / Project Compilation
4.4.2023 - 16.7.2023 (Week 1 - Week 15)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Minor Project / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project Compilation
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Minor Project / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project Compilation
Jump Links
INSTRUCTIONS
Fig 1.1 Project Briefing (4.4.2023)
For this module, we were to work in a group and collaborate with clients /
students from other schools / students from other university, to produce a
prototype of the chosen topic.
Project Documentation
Fig 2.1 Chosen Topic Overview - UWB
My previous group members were Asilah (leader), Britney, Cecilia, Cheryl,
Devina, Evander, and Michelle. The topic that we have decided is UWB, which is
to design something that can help lifting up the upper part of the body of
elderly who lives alone and falls down. We were collaborating with West
Bohemia University.
On week 3, we were asked to reform our groups as there are too many of us in
one group for this topic. My new group members are Asilah (leader), Adriel,
Britney, and Cheryl. We were later being informed that we are not designing
the product itself, but we are to brand the product as if we were to sell
it.
Fig 2.2 Contextual
Research
This is the contextual research I have done based on the topic in MIRO. I did
some research on elderly falls and also devices to help them get up or call
for help if they fell.
Fig 2.3 Emergency Voice Assistant - Filip Špaček
We were to choose one student from UWB to collaborate with. After the
students' presentation, our group discussed and decided to collaborate with
Filip. The prototype that he designed is called Emergency Voice Assistant. It
is a small device that sticks to your body using a patch, that allows to user
call for help immediately. The Emergency Voice Assistant is voice-activated,
which is easy to use for elderly. It is waterproof, so that the older people
using it do not have to take it off while they are doing certain activities,
such as showering. This can prevent the older people to forgot putting the
device on.
Fig 2.4 Interview
We conducted an interview to find out what the target audience think about the
prototype of the product.
Fig 2.5 User Journey
Map
Fig 2.6 Confirmed
Features of Emergency Voice Assistant
We hosted a meeting with Filip to confirm the final features of the Emergency Voice Assistant, so that we do not make mistakes in our designs.
Branding
Fig 2.7 Gantt Chart
We created the Gantt Chart to track our progression, so that we will meet all
the deadlines.
UI/UX Manager: Britney & Cheryl
Graphic Design Manager: Adriel
Digital Animation Manager: Jo Min
Fig 2.8 Brand Logo -
Wise Guard
This is the logo designed by Adriel. We discussed with our partner from UWB,
we agreed to use the name "Wise Guard" as the brand of the product.
Fig 2.9 Animated
Logo
I created an animated logo in After Effects, so that it can be used in the
videos or website later on.
Fig 2.10 Graphical Elements
These are the graphical elements that we will be using throughout the designs for our brand, Wise Guard.
Fig 2.11 Test
Animation
The moment I got the latest Blender file from our partner Filip, I tried
animating the models he created in Blender. Since I only started learning 3D
animation this semester, I was not sure if I can animate everything in Blender
without preparing the models in certain ways. After this test animation, I
learned that animation in Blender is not as complicated as I imagined,
anything can be animated in the software.
Advertisement Video 1
Fig 2.12 Storyboard
Draft 1 by Asilah
This is the first draft of the storyboard done by Asilah. It is a vector
animation. Unfortunately, the animation will not turn out as shown in the
storyboard, because the vector characters that Asilah found online is fixed in
one angle, I am not able to create animations from the top view or back view,
unless I have the characters' vector at those angles.
Later in class, Mr Mike asked us to use stock videos instead of vector, as it
is not suitable for our targeted age group, which are the elderly.
Fig 2.13 Storyboard
Draft 2-1 by Asilah
Fig 2.14 Storyboard
Draft 2-2 by Asilah
Fig 2.15 Storyboard
Draft 2-3 by Asilah
Fig 2.16 Finalize
Storyboard by Asilah
Fig 2.17 Animating in
Blender
I started by animating in Blender based on Asilah's storyboard. I have done a
test animation on this the time I got the Blender file from our partner Filip,
so I only made minor adjustments out of what I already have.
Fig 2.18 Animating in
After Effects
Fig 2.19 Compiling
After I have finished the animation, I compiled the stock videos and the
individual composition of the animations together and exported the video.
Fig 2.20 Background
Music
I added background music for the video in Premiere Pro. The background music
that I use for this video is "Snowy Peaks pt I" by Chris Haugen on
YouTube Studio.
Fig 2.21 Advertisement
Video 1
This is the final output of the first advertisement video.
Advertisement Video 2
Fig 2.22 Storyboard
Draft 1
This is the first draft of storyboard for advertisement video 2. I was
planning to make an advertisement with 3D rendered animation style. During
consultation, Mr Mike suggested that we use stock videos with an interesting
storyline, so that it will attract people to watch it.
Fig 2.23 Finalized
Storyboard
I updated the storyboard based on the feedback given by Mr Mike, the above is
the outcome. Mr Mike approved on this storyboard, so I will use it as a guide
for the final output.
Fig 2.24 Animating in
Blender
I started by animating in Blender. It wasn't too difficult as the animation
for both the product and the camera are just simple transformations. The part
that requires more thinking is the timing for each scene, as it have to be
long enough for the viewers to read the text, at the same time not too long
that people gets boring by staring at the same thing.
Fig 2.25 Animating in
After Effects
I rendered the 3D animation with transparent background and imported it into
After Effects to add the motion graphics.
Fig 2.26 Background
Animation
Since the graphic element for our brand is the dynamic wave form, I tried
incorporating it in the video. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find an
animated background of a dynamic wave form that fits in the video, so I
created it instead. I used the turbulent displace effect and the echo effect
to create a similar wave form animation for the background.
Fig 2.27 Compile
After finishing the animation, I compiled the animation and the stock videos
together and exported the video.
Fig 2.28 Background
Music
After I have completed the video, I added background music in Premiere Pro.
The music that I am using is "Wrong" by Dan Henig on YouTube Studio.
Then, I exported the final video
Fig 2.29 Advertisement
Video 2
This is the final output of the second advertisement video.
Fig 2.30 Presentation Slides
Our group created a presentation slides with everything in it.
REFLECTION
WEEK 1
In the first week, we were tasked to form a group of 6-7 members and choose
one given topic to work on. My group mates are Asilah, Britney, Cecelia,
Cheryl, Devina, and Michelle. The topic we have chosen is Rescue Device for
Elderly or Disabled, which we have to collaborate with students from
University of West Bohemia (UWB). It might be too early to mention about this,
but I sincerely hope that the final output could be something workable, or
maybe just a concept that could inspire people out there creating a device
that really works well in coping with elderly fall issues.
WEEK 2
In the second week, we have done our contextual research and we will be
meeting the students from UWB on Friday. However, on Thursday, the two groups
working on this topic were suggested to split into three groups as there is
not enough work for all members. After we saw the proposal presentation of the
students from UWB, we decided to split our groups. My new group mates are
Asilah, Adriel, Britney, and Cheryl.
WEEK 3
After discussion, our group decided to collaborate with Filip Spacek. The
device he designed is an Emergency Voice Assistant that elderly could stick to
their body all day. We made this decision because we wanted something other
than watches, and we think that it has a lot of potential. However, we did not
get to meet Filip this week as it was Hari Raya holiday.
WEEK 4
During week 4, we had our first meeting with our UWB partner, Filip. We
prepared a simple slide with our summarised contextual research findings and
some questions to ask. We sort out some details of the product with Filip,
although there are some parts that he is not sure about. We also created a
Whatsapp group chat with him so that we can communicate more easily. Filip
shared some pictures of the prototype, as well as the STL file of the 3D model
for us to 3D print it.
WEEK 5
In week 5, we started to conduct the interview. We had a meeting with our
partner from UWB to further discuss about some details on the product that he
designed. After that, we also got the latest STL file from Filip on that day.
We will be using 3D printer at the school to print the model and show it our
interviewees during the interview, so that they can better visualise and
experience on the product.
WEEK 6
We planned to do the 3D printing on week 6. Unfortunately, the school’s 3D
printers can’t be used until further notice. Thus, our group ended up having
to create the prototype on our own. The prototype was made by Britney and
Cheryl, thanks a lot to them! During class, we discussed with Mr Mike to
refine some parts of the device.
WEEK 7
We were working on our Miro board this week, as we will be starting to do the
branding part. Britney, Cheryl, and I were quite confused with what we were
supposed to fill in for the problem statement, how might we, and the user
journey map. Mr Mike helped us to sort out our problems section by section,
and instructed us for our next step. We will need to prepare for the Gantt
Chart which is to track our progression so that we do not fall behind and
cause us being unable to meet the deadline. Mr Mike also showed us sample from
our seniors for us to refer to.
WEEK 8
We did not have class on week 8, as it was the independent learning week. I
started to do some research on the video advertisement and created the mood
board. The process of finding the balance for the art style to attract both
elderly and children/grandchildren was a bit challenging. I looked for some
technological product advertisements as reference for the video
advertisement.
WEEK 9
We distributed our job and started to work on our assigned parts. I am in
charge of the advertisement videos, and Asilah is my partner. We planned to
create two videos, one will be a persuasive advertisement (vector
animation), and the other will be an informative advertisement (3D
animation). We worked on the storyboard. I also did a test animation for the
3D animation, and an animation for the logo.
WEEK 10
We had a meeting with our UWB partner Filip on week 10. We confirmed the
final features of the product with Filip so that we do not make mistakes
while doing the designs. There were a little bit of problem in communication
during the meeting due to language barrier. Despite that, we still managed
to get the information that we needed. Our group also updated him on what we
are planning to do for the branding part, and he is quite happy and looking
forward for our designs.
WEEK 11
We showed Mr Mike our progression for the branding on week 11. Mr Mike
suggested we use stock videos for the advertisement, instead of having a
vector animation, as it might not attract the older target group. It is not
necessary that the video has to be fully animated by hand. We can combine
stock videos with motion graphics. Within motion graphics, there are
different directions that we can choose to go with, such as collage motion
graphics or vector motion graphics.The decision is up to the suitability for
our target audience. The direction of the advertisement will also be
different. Mr Mike suggested that we go with the “Thai Ad” direction, as
viewers will get attracted to the storyline, and it better builds awareness
to the viewers.
WEEK 12
We continued our work on week 12. Based on the feedback received, I made a
second draft of the storyboard with stock videos. It was a bit challenging,
as it is different from the usual workflow. I need to work reversed by
searching for stock videos and think of a possible storyline, then create
the storyboard. I had done a little bit of animation and experimented with
camera movement in Blender.
WEEK 13
On week 13, we continued on with our work. The storyboard for the two
advertisement videos are almost done, just some minor adjustment of the
sequence of the scenes for the storyboard that my video advertisement
partner, Asilah is in charge of. I didn’t have much progression in the
animation this week, as I was busy with another assignment due date. I
have downloaded the stock videos that we are using and edited the them
with some simple transitions in Premiere Pro.
WEEK 14
We had our last class on week 14. It was a very busy week, as the deadlines
for all assignments are coming. Mr Mike gave us some suggestions for the
graphical element to be used for all the designs. He suggested us using
waveforms and the speaker shape on the device, as the selling point of the
product is that is it voice activated. We agreed with Mr Mike’s opinion. I
was a bit stressful, as my group members seem to be near completion for
their tasks, and I am still progressing slowly. Throughout the weekend, I
spent my time completing the advertisement videos. The most time consuming
part was actually rendering the animation in Blender. I tried using a higher
render quality, which needs to take more time to render. Despite that, I am
happy with the rendered animation.
WEEK 15
There was no scheduled class on week 15. Our group was finalising everything
to be submitted by the end of the week. I completed the advertisement videos
on time which I felt quite happy. We thought that there would be a
presentation to the UWB lecturers and partner students on Friday, but it got
cancelled for some reasons. Throughout the semester, I think my experience
on this project is quite pleasant, though there were times that things got
really messy. With this module, I got to practise my video editing and
animation skills, which is helpful for my improvement.










.png)
%20(1).png)
%20(2).png)
%20(3).png)

Comments
Post a Comment