Advanced Animation / Project 3
12.6.2023 - 9.6.2023 (Week 11 - Week 14)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Animation / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 3
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Animation / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 3
Jump Links
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 3: Physical Action Sequence Animation
Fig 1.1 Project 3 Instructions (12.6.2023)
For out final project, we are required to animate a physical action sequence
by utilizing the knowledge we have gained in the previous tasks.
Fig 1.2 Reference (12.6.2023)
This is the reference video that I am using for this project. I selected
this because I thought that the action is very suitable to play around with
the camera focal length to create dynamic scenes, and I want to try it
out.
Fig 1.3 Rough Sketches of Poses (13.6.2023)
I drew some rough sketches of the poses to help me better understand the
action that the person is doing.
Fig 1.4 Storyboard (14.6.2023)
This is the storyboard that I sketched out. I planned to explore the camera
angles and focal length, as well as animate the camera movement.
Fig 1.5 Modelling Weapon (14.6.2023)
I modelled a simple weapon for the character to hold.
Fig 1.6 Shading Weapon (14.6.2023)
I looked for tutorials on YouTube and shaded the weapon using the
nodes.
Fig 1.7 Blocking (14.6.2023)
I keyframed the extremes and breakdowns to create the blocking
animation.
Fig 1.8 Polishing Action Animation (30.6.2023)
After I have keyframed the extremes and breakdowns, I polished the animation
with the graph editor and added necessary keyframes when needed. I was quite
confused with the graph editor before this, but I eventually figured out
what can be done using the graph editor, and I became more familiar with
it.
Fig 1.9 Animating Weapon - Child of Constraint (26.6.2023)
I was using the Child of Constraint to animate the weapon at first. However,
the action involves switching hands and I couldn't find out how this can be
done. The weapon somehow won't stick to the other hand as I adjust the
influence.
Fig 1.10 Animating Weapon - Keyframe (1.7.2023)
Due to time constraint, I decided to animate the weapon by keyframing it
manually. It took me one whole day to complete it, and I think the outcome
looks fine.
Fig 1.11 Animating Expression (1.7.2023)
After I am satisfied with the animation of the action, I animated some simple the facial expressions to enhance the storytelling.
Fig 1.12 Animating Camera (2.7.2023)
Later on, I animated the camera movement. At first I wanted to cut in between the scenes instead of animating the camera, but I felt that it might turn out chaotic as the whole animation is not very long. I tried animating the camera first, and it turned out quite nice. So, I decided to go with it.
Fig 1.13 Editing in Premiere Pro (2.7.2023)
I rendered the animation and compiled them in Premiere Pro.
Fig 1.14Attempt 1 (2.7.2023)
This is the first outcome. Mr Kamal suggested that I render using Cycles and fix the awkward shadow by adjusting the lighting.
Fig 1.15 Amendment (7.7.2023)
I made some amendments based on the feedback received. For the background, Mr Kamal suggested that I extrude a wall from the plane so that the plane doesn't abruptly when the camera zooms out. However, I struggled to get a nice lighting for both the character and the background. So, I scaled the plane up, and it looks less awkward in the wide shot scene.
Fig 1.16 Attempt 2 (9.7.2023)
I rendered the animation using Cycles and compiled them in Premiere Pro. This is the final output.
Final Project 3: Physical Sequence Action Animation
Fig 1.17 Storyboard - PDF (2.7.2023)
Fig 1.18 Final Project 3: Physical Sequence Action Animation
(2.7.2023)
FEEDBACK
WEEK 12
General Feedback:
Specific Feedback:
Nice storyboard. The animation looks fine currently. Will demonstrate the Child of Constraint later.
WEEK 13
General Feedback:
Specific Feedback:
The animation looks nice. For the camera, I can animate the camera
movement or render the animation from different angles and edit it. For
the hand switching of the weapon, maybe I can try having two weapons
parented to each hands and switch them on and off.
WEEK 14
General Feedback:
Moving hold is like a slow in, but super slow. The movement shouldn't be too much.
Specific Feedback:
Motion wise is good. The shadow and the plane at the final scene looks a bit weird. Extrude wall from the plane so that it doesn't end abruptly. For the lighting, use one area lighting, so that it doesn't create multiple shadows on the ground. Use Cycles to render for better quality.
REFLECTION
This project was quite fun to do, but it took way longer than I
expected. The animation for the character's action didn't take up most of my time, it was actually the animation of the weapon he is holding. I couldn't figure out of to make the Child of Constraint work, as the character switches hands while holding the weapon. Due to time constraints, I had to keyframe the animation of the weapon frame by frame, which I took one whole day for a 5-second animation. It was really stressful as other assignments were piling up, and I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to sort things out on time (Luckily I did :D).
After 14 weeks of learning 3D animation, I have a basic understanding of how things work. I have learnt a lot throughout the semester. Compared the 2D frame by frame animation, I kind of enjoyed the process of 3D animation more, as it is more flexible that allows you to make changes at any point. During my semester break, I want to explore more on rigging, because we didn't have enough time to cover this part.

Comments
Post a Comment