Sonic Design / Project 1
2.5.2023 - 21.5.2023 (Week 5 - Week 7)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Sonic Design/ Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Sound Design
In my first attempt, the action of the person is lacking. Mr Razif
suggested that I add some actions to the person. I added a stumbling sound, and
also the person dusting off the dirt from his clothing. I also added a drinking
water action.
I also noticed that in the previous version I don't have the sound of the person
getting out from the water while he crosses the river. So I added that by
layering two sounds.
I adjusted the volume of the master track so that the loudness is appropriate. Then, I exported the multitrack mixdown.
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Sonic Design/ Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Sound Design
Jump Links
- LECTURES
- Project 1: Sound Design (Progression)
- Final Project 1: Sound Design (Submission)
- FEEDBACK
- REFLECTION
LECTURES
Fig 1.1 Week 5 Notes, Week 5 (2.5.2023)
Project 1: Sound Design
For project 1, we are tasked to create an audio image. The audio should create
an image for the first-person point of view to be able to visualize on what is
going on based on just the audio tracks. It should be able to tell a story for
the chosen scenario. We are not allowed to use any voice, dialogs, or music.
The choice scenario are:
1. Wildlife + Background
2. Everyday Home Life + Background
3. Cities + Transport + Exterior Atmosphere
4. Industry and Electronic sounds + Background
5. Weather + Background
6. Market + Rural atmosphere + Background
Fig 2.1 Storyline, Week 5 (3.5.2023)
I was debating between "Wildlife + Background" and "Everyday Home Life +
Background", as I want to create something soothing and chill. At last, I
decided to go with "Wildlife + Background" because I think it might be more
interesting. The storyline was written using ChatGPT, and I made some minor
adjustments.
Fig 2.2 Sound Effect Attribution, Week 8 (20.5.2023)
Fig 2.3 Multitrack, Week 6 (9.5.2023)
Fig 2.4 Week 6 Progression, Week 6 (9.5.2023)
Week 6 Feedback:
Make sure to do the panning to create more dynamism. Overall is okay, the
structure is there, but the actions are lacking, currently I have too much
walking sound. Maybe I could add some bird wings flapping sound, or fishes
splashing in the river.
Fig 2.5 Added Action - Stumble, Week 6 (12.5.2023)
Fig 2.6 Parametric Equalizer - "Dust Off" Sound Effect, Week 6 (13.5.2023)
Fig 2.7 Added Action - Drinking Water, Week 7 (20.5.2023)
Fig 2.9 Echo - "Out of Water" Sound Effect, Week 6 (13.5.2023)
Fig 2.10 Automation, Week 6 (14.5.2023)
Fig 2.11 Multitrack Before Amendment, Week 7 (15.5.2023)
This was the multitrack before Mr Razif told us how to manage the tracks. I
combined different audio files in one track previously. I made amendments
after Mr Razif had taught us how to, shown in the next figure (Fig
00).
Mr Razif taught us on how to organize our tracks and files, and also the
requirements for our submission. I amended the multitrack based on the
requirements.
Fig 2.13 Master Track, Week 7 (15.5.2023)
I adjusted the volume of the master track so that the loudness is appropriate. Then, I exported the multitrack mixdown.
Final Project 1: Sound Design
Fig 2.14 Final Project 1: Sound Design
FEEDBACK
WEEK 5
General Feedback:
Adding sound effect credits is encouraged. The storyline has to be sound
descriptive. We are allowed to use ChatGPT for the storyline.
Specific Feedback:
*no specific feedback received
WEEK 6
General Feedback:
Be careful of the volume of the audio.
Specific Feedback:
Make sure to do the panning to create more dynamism. Overall is okay, the
structure is there, but the actions are lacking, currently I have too much
walking sound. Maybe I could add some bird wings flapping sound, or fishes
splashing in the river.
REFLECTION
This project is harder than I expected as I have to imagine the surrounding
and find the suitable sound effect to achieve what I want. One of the
challenges that I faced while searching for the sound effects is that I am
not sure what animals are there in a rainforest. The animals in a rainforest
also vary depending on the location, so I did some research to get the final output more geographically accurate (the final
might still have mistakes :D). Through this project, I learned that it is
important to observe our surrounding and pay attention to details.
Comments
Post a Comment