Motion Graphics and Compositing / Project 2: Channel Bumper
11.5.2023 - 26.5.2023 (Week 6 - Week 8)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Motion Graphics and Compositing / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 2: Channel Bumper
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Motion Graphics and Compositing / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 2: Channel Bumper
Jump Links
- INSTRUCTIONS
- Project 2: Channel Bumper (Progression)
- Final Project 2: Channel Bumper (Submission)
- FEEDBACK
- REFLECTION
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 2: Channel Bumper
Fig 1.1 Project 2 Proposal - Jimmy Liao (17.5.2023)
The brand I have selected is Jimmy Liao. He is an illustrator picture book
writer from Taiwan. I came across his work while I was in middle school and
I immediately got attracted to his art style. So, I want to create a channel
bumper for this brand.
Fig 1.2 Storyboard (13.5.2023)
I had a few ideas in mind at first because I was really excited to work on
this. However, they might take too much time to execute (which I have limited time plus I work really slow :O). After a few hours, I finally came to the storyboard shown above.
Execution
After I have done the storyboard, I started to create the assets to be
animated in After Effects later on. Most of the assets are created in
Illustrator, except for the background image for Scene 3-2 is done using
Photoshop.
Fig 1.3 Scene 1 Assets (16.5.2023)
Fig 1.4 Scene 2 Assets (14.5.2023)
Fig 1.5 Scene 3-1 Assets (15.5.2023)
Fig 1.6 Scene 3-2 Background (16.5.2023)
Fig 1.7 Scene 3-2 Assets (16.5.2023)
Fig 1.8 Scene 3-3 Assets (14.5.2023)
Fig 1.9 Animatics (17.5.2023)
I proceed to do the animatics to time the scenes after I completed preparing
for the assets. The music I used is "No. 9 Esther's Waltz" by
Esther Abrami
on YouTube Studio (I couldn't figure out how to get the link of the audio, sorry...). I was clueless of what kind of music I want to use for my project,
because the animation is not going to be strongly rhythmic. Suddenly, I
remembered the scene from the movie UP about Carl and Ellie. The waltz music
kind of suits my animation, and I found this audio on YouTube Studio that
goes very well.
Fig 1.10 Animating in After Effects (17.5.2023)
I looked for some tutorials to get this animation done, and I am quite happy
with the outcome.
Fig 1.11 Compiling in One Composition (17.5.2023)
I animated scene by scene and compiled them in one composition at the end,
and exported the video using Media Encoder.
Fig 1.12 Attempt 1 (17.5.2023)
During class on Week 7, Mr Fauzi suggested that I animate the logo at the
end.
Fig 1.13 Attempt 2 (21.5.2023)
I animated the logo based on the feedback given by Mr Fauzi. At first, I
wanted to mask the path to reveal the logo. However, it was too challenging
to get it right. So, I traced the logo using the pen tool in Illustrator,
and used trim path to animate the lines.
Final Project 2: Channel Bumper
Fig 1.14 Final Project 2: Channel Bumper (24.5.2023)
FEEDBACK
WEEK 7
General Feedback:
Specific Feedback:
Good. Can be considered as 80% done, just have to animate the logo at the
end. For my pdf proposal slides, add a link below the video. Even though it
is clickable, people may not realize it because it doesn't have an icon to
click on, and it can't be printed out.
WEEK 9
General Feedback:
Specific Feedback:
The animation of the bubble is nice, but be aware that the anchor point should be at the focus point. In this case it is fine because the graphic is big. Good job.
REFLECTION
This project was quite challenging at the beginning as I am not sure what a channel bumper is. After I searched for some examples online, I finally got a better understanding. I was really excited to work on a project for Jimmy Liao. to be continued...

Comments
Post a Comment