Motion Graphics and Compositing / Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities

27.4.2023 - 11.5.2023 (Week 4 - Week 6)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Motion Graphics and Compositing / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities

Jump Links


INSTRUCTIONS


Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities

Based on the four principles of basic animation provided, we are to create and animate the other four basic animation, which are Symmetry, Focus, Scale, and Rhythm. After that, we have to remix the animations we created into one composition. 

PART 1

Fig 1.1 Symmetry (30.4.2023)

I used trim path for the animation for symmetry. I didn't really understand trim path during the first time I learned it, which was a few semesters ago. By experimenting it on my own, I have a better understanding on it. 


Fig 1.2 Focus - Attempt 1 (30.4.2023)

This was my first attempt for focus. It is inspired by the radial typographic system, and a little bit of influence from Paula Scher. However, it didn't turn out as expected. I suppose it is due to the limited use of colors in this project. So, I decided to create another one. 


Fig 1.3 Focus - Attempt 2 (30.4.2023)

The second attempt for focus is a much simpler composition. I just use two animated lines to frame the circle in the middle that I want to emphasize on. Trim path is used to animate the lines. I also added motion blur for the lines. 


Fig 1.4 Scale (30.4.2023)

I arranged a few squares in different sizes, and animated them by scaling up and down. It kind of reminds me of an interactive website that I came across recently (I forgot which it is), which there are a lot of glitchy effects when the cursor hovers over some parts. 


Fig 1.5 Rhythm (30.4.2023)

This was inspired by speakers and loading icons. Initially, I only scaled up and down the individual circles one by one, but I found it a bit boring. Then, I added a null object to scale up and down all the small circles, and it looks better. The null object is also being rotated 180°


PART 1 OUTPUT

Fig 1.6 Part 1 Output (7.5.2023)


Fig 1.7 Part 1 Output _IGTV (7.5.2023)

PART 2

Fig 2.1 Compositing in After Effects (10.5.2023)

I remixed the animations I created earlier into one composition. I made two attempts as I am not quite satisfied with the first version.


Fig 2.2 Compositing in After Effects_ IGTV (10.5.2023)

After I am satisfied with the composition, I then rearrange the placement of the individual layers to fit the resolution of IGTV. 


PART 2 OUTPUT

Fig 2.3 Part 2 Output (10.5.2023)


Fig 2.4 Part 2 Output _ IGTV(10.5.2023)


Final Project 1: Technical and Motion Graphics Sensibilities


Fig 3.1 Final Project 1_Part 1 (10.5.2023)

Fig 3.2 Final Project 1_Part 1_IGTV (10.5.2023)

Fig 3.3 Final Project 1_Part 2 (10.5.2023)

Fig 3.4 Final Project 1_Part 2_IGTV (10.5.2023)


FEEDBACK

WEEK 6

General Feedback:


Specific Feedback: 
[Part 1]: All is good, especially Rhythm, it looks 3D.
[Part 2]: Can see the hierarchy of the composition. However, I need more practice on transitioning. 


REFLECTION

This project is easy and challenging at the same time. We have learnt the design principles in the first semester, and it is not difficult to have something in mind for the compositions. However, this means that uniqueness and excitement are what should be achieved in this project. I spent some time thinking about the possibilities of creating something different, although the final output may not be very good. I hope that I will eventually improve as I practice more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1