Advanced Animation / Project 1 & 2
15.5.2023 - 29.5.2023 (Week 7 - Week 9)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Animation / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1 & 2
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Advanced Animation / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1 & 2
Jump Links
LECTURES
Fig 1.1 Week 7 Notes (15.5.2023)
INSTRUCTIONS
Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation
Fig 2.1 Project 1 Instructions (15.5.2023)
For Project 1, we are required to create a vanilla walk cycle and an attitude
walk cycle animation in Blender using the rigged character provided.
1) Vanilla Walk Cycle
Fig 2.2 Reference (25.5.2023)
Fig 2.3 Animating Legs (15.5.2023)
I started by animating the legs. It is not too complicated as we have learnt
the vanilla walk cycle in Animation Fundamentals module.
Fig 2.4 Animating Arms (15.5.2023)
Once I complete animating the legs, I animated the arms. The part that I found
more challenging is to make the arms drag as they swing to the extremes, but I
eventually figured that it.
Fig 2.5 Adjusting Finger Posture (25.5.2023)
I was using the default finger posture. However, I found it too stiff and it
looks like a robot. So, I curved the fingers a little to make them look more
relaxed and natural.
Fig 2.6 Animating Head (25.5.2023)
I couldn't find how to make head not turning as the shoulders turn. Thus, I
manually made the head facing the front as the character walks.
2) Attitude Walk Cycle
Fig 2.7 Reference Footage - Double Bounce (23.5.2023)
I sometimes see posts on social media about existing animation characters'
double bounce walk reference, but I didn't really understand what it is. While
I was looking for reference for this project, I came across this video and he
did a double bounce walk. So, I decided to give it a try.
Fig 2.8 Animating Legs (24.5.2023)
I started by animating the legs first. Unlike the vanilla walk cycle, a double
bounce walk cycle has either three ups or three downs.
Fig 2.9 Animating Arms (24.5.2023)
After I am satisfied with the leg movement, I animated the arms. The movement
of the arms in the reference footage is not really exaggerated. So, I
exaggerated it, and it somehow makes the character look happier.
Fig 2.10 Animating Head (24.5.2023)
I also animated the head a bit to make the animation more lively.
Fig 2.11 Eyeball Movement (24.5.2023)
Based on my observation, our eyes tend to focus on something even when our
head is moving. So, I made his eyes looking at somewhere in front, instead of
having the eyes looking around as his head moves.
Fig 2.12 Walk Cycle Animation - Attempt 1 (25.5.2023)
Fig 2.13 Vanilla Walk Cycle Amendment (27.5.2023)
Based on the feedback, I made some amendments to the vanilla walk cycle by making the ups and downs more obvious. Below (Fig 2.14) is the final output.
Final Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation
Fig 2.14 Final Project 1: Walk Cycle Animation (27.5.2023)
Project 2: Cartoony Jump Animation
Fig 3.1 Project 2 Instructions (29.5.2023)
For project 2, we were tasked to create a cartoon jump animation.
Fig 3.2 Reference (2.6.2023)
I got the reference from the book "The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard
Williams.
Fig 3.3 Animating (2.6.2023)
I started by animating each extreme pose. I tried to exaggerate the poses to
achieve the cartoon animation style. Once I am satisfied with the poses, I
spread out the keyframes on the timeline.
Fig 3.4 Adding Drag to Feet (2.6.2023)
I added drag to the feet by rotating the toes rig.
Fig 3.5 Moving Hold (2.6.2023)
Then, I made minor adjustment to some poses and also added moving
hold.
Fig 3.6 Attempt 1 (3.6.2023)
This is the first attempt for the jump animation. Mr Kamal suggested that I add moving hold to some parts, as the action is fast. I could also add drag to the head when the character lands.
Fig 3.7 Amendment (.6.2023)
I made amendments based on the feedback received. The final output is as shown in Fig 3.6.
Final Project 2: Cartoon Jump Animation
Fig 3.6 Final Project 2: Cartoon Jump Animation (.6.2023)
FEEDBACK
WEEK 9
General Feedback:
[Project 1]: Popping might occur when the action is pushed too much.
Specific Feedback:
[Project 1]: The up and down for the vanilla walk cycle is not enough,
make it more significant. Flexibility is good. The double bounce walk
cycle is good.
WEEK 12
General Feedback:
[Project 2]: There are certain limitations in each rig, be careful of it. Make sure the silhouette of the character is good to create a nice pose. Avoid sliding in the animation, especially the feet.
Specific Feedback:
[Project 2]: The cover page for the video is too long, maybe one second is enough. Add moving hold because the action is fast. Try to combine FK and IK for certain poses.
REFLECTION
While we are doing the vanilla walk cycle together in class, I found it
quite challenging as I am new to this. Managing the keyframes of each
controller is quite confusing at the beginning, but it became easier when
I get used to it. When animating the attitude walk by myself, it is less
difficult as I already have some understandings.

Comments
Post a Comment