UX Design Assignment Compilation
6.4.2023 - 22.6.2023 (Week 1 - Week 12)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
UX Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Assignment Compilation
The third design is the floor paint. The floor at Block E Level G, from the
stairs to the vortex lab, will have this pattern painted, to direct visitors to
the Vortex Lab. The pattern is derived from the vortex logo, because it has a
distinctive form that people would recognise as part of the vortex lab. As the
floor has yellow rectangles on it originally, I think the color and pattern in
my idea is less likely to clash with the yellow rectangles. The floor paint also
echoes with the logo on the door.
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
UX Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Assignment Compilation
Jump Links
INSTRUCTIONS
Task 1: Bad vs Good UX Design
For this task, we were given a few topics and tasked to identify the good and
bad UX design based on the distributed topic. My group members are Jia Yee and
Tressa. The scenario we were given is Mobile Device Application or Website.
Between mobile device application and website, our group decided to go with
website.
Fig 1.1 Chosen Websites - Hello Monday & Locomotive (13.4.2023)
The websites that we have selected to make comparison in terms of user
experience are Hello Monday and
Locomotive. They are both design
agencies, but the design approach of their website is very different. We
attempted to find out the strengths and weaknesses of their website UI design,
and to understand how the design influence the user experience.
Fig 1.2 Task 1 Presentation Deck - Group 4 (13.4.2023)
We created a Google slides to compile our findings and presented to the class.
The above (Fig 1.2) is the presentation slides.
Exercise 1: Introduction to UX Design
For exercise 1, we are tasked to write an introduction to user experience
(UX) and its importance in the design and development of digital products
and services.
Requirements:
- Define what is user experience (UX) and explain its role in the design and development of digital products and services.
- Discuss the importance of UX in creating products and services.
- Explore the key elements of UX.
- Provide examples of successful digital products and services that prioritize UX and explain how they have achieved success.
- Identify common UX challenges and discuss strategies for addressing them.
Fig 2.1 Final Exercise 1: Introduction to UX Design (25.4.2023)
Final Project: Vortex Lab Wayfinding System
For the final project, we are required to think of a solution for the Vortex
Lab Wayfinding System in Taylor's University. There is no restriction in the
design, it can be both physical and digital. We are allowed to use any
software to create our prototype. Later on, we need to send out survey
questionnaires to test the user experience of our prototype.
1) Issues and Solutions
Fig 3.1 Issues (27.5.2023)
Firstly, I would like to address the main issues that I have identified
through previous research. There isn’t signage to the Vortex lab in the campus
currently, so people have trouble locating the vortex lab. Secondly, there are
still students and lecturers who do not know that the vortex lab exists. The
third issue is that the logo of the vortex lab is rather complex in shape, and
the impact to the viewers is not strong enough to make people remember
it.
Fig 3.2 Solutions (27.5.2023)
I came up with some possible solutions to the problems. First, signages could
be created to guide people to the vortex lab. Posters could also be designed
to promote the vortex lab and its location. Besides, I could also think of a
way to make the vortex lab logo more memorable.
2) Prototyping
Fig 3.3 Moodboard (27.5.2023)
This is the moodboard that I came up with for the Vortex Lab wayfinding
system. I want to go with a dark, modern and minimalistic style, as I think
that it matches the vibe of the Vortex Lab.
Fig 3.4 Design 1 - Poster (27.5.2023)
The first one is a poster to promote the vortex lab as well as its location.
It could be placed near the main entrance or inside the elevators so that it
will be more noticeable. I used the “XR” from the original logo as the main
graphical element, while the vortex shape logo was placed in the background
as a hint, as I think the XR is more iconic compared to the vortex shape
logo. For the title, I combined a pixel and a serif typeface, to create a
modern and technological look. The location of the Vortex Lab is included in
the poster, so that the viewers know where it is, and then locate Block E
with the existing signage on campus.
Fig 3.5 Design 2 -
Directional Signages First Attempt (28.5.2023)
The second design is directional signages to be placed at staircases at Block
E, so that people know they should go up or go down to reach the Vortex Lab.
The arrow mimics the design of “XR” from the logo. These are 2D signages.
Fig 3.6 Design 2 - Directional Signages Second Attempt
(28.5.2023)
I made some modifications from the first attempt. Instead of having 2D
signages, I made them into 3D, and hollowed-out the arrow section. This is
to match the existing signage design on campus, and it emphasizes on the
arrow to show the viewers the direction.
Fig 3.7 Design 3 - Floor Paint (4.6.2023)
I created a summary of the wayfinding system prototype that I designed, to
show how the whole process of locating the Vortex Lab works.
Fig 3.9 First Draft of Survey Questionnaire (5.6.2023)
This is the first draft of the survey questionnaire. I made some amendments
after receiving feedback from Ms Dini. The amended survey questionnaire can
be found below (Fig 3.13).
Fig 3.10 Vortex Lab Wayfinding System Prototype - PDF (10.6.2023)
Fig 3.11 Final Project Proposal - PDF (10.6.2023)
Fig 3.12 Final Project Proposal Recorded Presentation - MP4 (10.6.2023)
3) Testing & Analyzing
Fig 3.13 Amended Survey Questions (15.6.2023)
I amended the survey questions based on the feedback provided by Ms Dini. I also added a section with a short paragraph to explain briefly about the Vortex Lab in the Google Forms, so that the participants have a better understanding about it.
Fig 3.14 Survey Questionnaire Responses (17.6.2023)
I got my friends who are studying in the same university to help fill up the survey. I received 20 responses in total. The survey analysis and conclusion to this project can be found in the presentation slides below (Fig 3.15).
Fig 3.15 Final Project Presentation Slides - PDF (21.6.2023)
Fig 3.16 Final Project Presentation Recording - MP4 (21.6.2023)
REFLECTION
The UX design class for this semester is quite different from what I've heard previously from my friend. For the final project, we are not doing a project on website or mobile application but a wayfinding system in real life, which is a really interesting journey. Throughout the 14 weeks, I have learnt that user experience is not just something that exist in the digital world, but something that involves in almost everything we see in life. As designers, it is very important to consider about user experience when producing a work (in most cases). I felt that I have improved in my communication skills through this class. The class atmosphere was really nice, and I enjoyed every class. Ms Dini is very kind, and she is willing to help us whenever we have any problem. It is a pleasant experience throughout the 14 weeks on the semester.

.jpg)
.jpg)




Comments
Post a Comment