3D Modelling / Project 3

14.11.2022 - 4.12.2022 (Week 12 - Week 14)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
3D Modelling / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 3: Organic Modelling (Character)

Jump Links



INSTRUCTIONS


Project 3:  Organic Modelling (Character)

Fig 1.1 Project 3 Instructions (14.11.2022)

For project 3, we were to model a character using the techniques we have learnt in the past weeks. 


Fig 1.2 Character Model Sheet - Goofy (19.11.2022)

I chose to model Goofy for project 3. I wanted to do something more challenging, but I understand that there are limitations in terms of skills. I decided on Goofy because it has many organic shapes, even though it is not a complicated character, and I would be able to practice organic modelling with this character. 


Fig 1.3 Modelling Head (21.11.2022)

The front part of the head is the most difficult shape to model for Goofy, as it is quite different from the front and side view. I struggled to create the desired shape that I had to redo a couple of times. 


Fig 1.4 Joining Belly and Legs (22.11.2022)

I had tried different ways to model this section. I tried to extrude the faces from a sphere to create the legs, but it creates an awkward shape. I also tried modelling from the bottom part of the leg to the belly, but I somehow stuck half way. So, I can only model the belly and the leg separately and join them. It is easy and difficult at the same time, as the number of the face needs to be the same. 


Fig 1.5 Modelling Hand (22.11.2022)

I modelled the hand from a cube by adding a subdivision modifier. I selected faces and extruded them to create the fingers. The wireframe of the fingers were later adjusted to get the desired shape. 


Fig 1.6 Mirror Modifier with line in the middle (24.11.2022)

For Goofy's face, I cut off the other half of the face and added a mirror modifier to mirror it. However, a line appears in the center. 


Fig 1.7 Mirror Modifier without line in the middle (24.11.2022)

I searched on Google and found out that it was due to the arrangement of the subdivision modifier and the mirror modifier causing the line. I solved it by putting the subdivision modifier under the mirror modifier. 


Fig 1.8 Materials (24.11.2022)

I colored Goofy with a simple base color first to see how it will appear. 


Fig 1.9 Sculpting Mouth (25.11.2022)

For Goofy's mouth, I tried sculpting it to achieve the outcome. In my first attempt, the shape is not smooth and even in some parts in the Sculpting Mode. When I switch back to the Layout Mode, and I found out that it was caused by the less amount of wireframes. So, I unchecked the optimal display under the subdivision modifier and apply the modifier to the object. Then I tried sculpting again, and it turned out better. 



Fig 1.10 Shading (29.11.2022)

I looked for tutorials on YouTube to make the fabric texture for the clothing. In my first attempt, some parts didn't turn out right (I forgot to take a screenshot of it). Instead of the weaved fabric texture, it creates wavy vertical lines for the body of the shirt. While I was searching for the solution, I suddenly recall of UV unwrapping. I tried it on the object, and the texture turns out the way I wanted. 


Fig 1.11 Shoes Shading (1.12.2022)

I added a leather texture for the shoes. I really like the little bumps of the texture, but I think the pattern created by the different shades of color still needs some work. Overall, I looks fine to me. 


Fig 1.12 Goofy Shading (1.12.2022)

I wanted to have some texture for the black colored parts of Goofy, but neither the 2D Goofy nor the 3D Goofy from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse shows a specific kind of texture of it. I have a Pluto plushy which its ears are similar to a velvet material. So, I tried making that kind of material by referring to a velvet texture tutorial from YouTube, but I made it really subtle so it doesn't appear too contrasting to the overall. 


Fig 1.13 First Outcome Rendered in Cycles (1.12.2022)

I rendered the model using Cycles after adding the textures. This is the first outcome. 


Fig 1.14 Adding crumples on clothing (4.12.2022)

I decided to add more details to the clothing by sculpting the folds. I found the draw tool in sculpting mode really handy to create the shapes. It suits perfectly with Goofy's somewhat loose clothes. 


Fig 1.15 Final Output (4.12.2022)

I rendered the model using Cycles. This is the final output. 

Final Project 3:  Organic Modelling (Character)  

Fig 1.16 Final Project 3: Organic Modelling (Character) - PNG (4.12.2022)


FEEDBACK

*no feedback received for project 3


REFLECTION

Goofy was not my first choice for this project. Initially, I wanted to model Vanellope from Wreck-It-Ralph because she's such a cute character. However, modelling her face will be a big problem for me as it requires sculpting, which I have never used the tool before. So, I chose something easier, but still able for me to practice organic modelling at the same time. The most difficult part, I would say is joining the different parts together as we need to match the amount of faces and avoid N-gons, which is really troublesome. I also self-learned a bit on sculpting. I found it really interesting and I want to discover more on it during the semester break.

I have never learnt 3D Modelling before this semester. During the last semester break, I watched some YouTube tutorials of Maya to have a brief idea on how things work in 3D, but we ended up using Blender instead, which I don't feel pity because I don't really understand what's going on in the tutorials. Throughout the 14 weeks, I have a basic knowledge and skills in 3D modelling. I think that it is quite fun, and I will explore more on my own before enrolling to Advanced Animation module. I quite like 3D Modelling, because personally I am obsessed with miniatures, but I don't have much chance to make them as the materials cost a lot. I found that 3D Modelling could satisfy my "needs" of making miniatures, without spending money on the materials, and I can make whatever I want (I recently remembered 3D printing exists :D). Back to the topic, this module is really helpful and fun. I will continue to improve my skills, and find out more what Blender can do during the coming semester break. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1