Film Studies and Cinematography / Exercises
30.8.2022 - 6.9.2022 (Week 1 - Week 2)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Film Studies and Cinematography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Film Studies and Cinematography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises
Jump Link
INSTRUCTIONS
Exercises
1. Self Introduction
- What I love about animation
I have friends who asked me why do I prefer animation to live-action films
when green screens exist. To me, animation is something really different.
Anything is possible in animation, and they sometimes don't even have to make
sense. As an audience, I enjoy watching the shows, my emotions are driven by
the story, the music and the "actors". Everything could be achieve through
animation. From how you want the story to be like, until how does the pebble
in this moment look. I also like that animation is not just animation, it is
the combination of storytelling, illustration and sound. All these things
complements an animation.
- Why I want to be an animator?
I am always obsessed with animated films, especially the ones created by Walt
Disney Animation Studio. While I was in high school, I found a book written by
a Tom Bancroft about character design that my parents bought long time ago. It
is really interesting, as I did not know the whole process of designing a
character before reading the book. I felt very motivated, then I started to
think about all the animations that I watched in my life. I feel that
animation is something really amazing. I get to present my ideas to others
through films. Imagine if my work could inspire a person, or even bring him or
her a slightest happiness, wouldn't it be wonderful? Since then, I started
learning more about animation online, by watching videos of how an animation
is being produced, and also some tips of animation. Even though I discovered
that animation might not be my strength recently, but I decided to give it a
try. You wouldn't know how far you will go before you start your
journey.
- Favorite Animation
My favorite animation is Coco, a Disney Pixar Animated Movie released in 2017.
When I first saw the poster of the movie, I was attracted to the color scheme,
which is dreamy and surrealistic. I also like the story of the film very much.
Excluding the most famous scene where Miguel sings to Mama Coco near the end
of the movie, my favorite scene is when Miguel finds out Mama Imelda loves to
sing. I have goosebumps every time watching that scene, it makes me feel
emotions of the characters like surprised, confused, resigned and love at the
same time. The character of this movie is also well-designed. I like how the
skeletons have patterns on their faces, which makes them less horrifying to
kids and matches the theme at the same time.
2. Storytelling
Fig 1.1 Love, Death & Robots
I like the lighting of the animation very much. Most of the stories are more
towards the thriller genre, and the lighting did serve a great role in
building up the tension. In some scenes, the lighting helps to emphasize the
main focus, which strengthens the storytelling.
Fig 1.2 Love, Death & Robots Season 1: Episode 5
The color of the animation is also nice. I like the scenes with the use of red
to create the kind of terror or bloody atmosphere, it gives me chill. The
creators also did a great job on color grading. For the episodes with a more
realistic art style, the color grade made them seem even more true to life, as
if they were shot in real life.
Fig 1.3 Love, Death & Robots Season 1: Episode 12
I also favor the camera movement of the 2D animation episodes. It is very
dynamic for the action scenes like when the characters were being chased,
which looks exciting and thrilling.
WEEK 2
Concept Art
Fig 2.1 Concept Art (6.9.2022)
On week 2, we were tasked to select two emotions, one theme and a genre,
search for 3 visual references and come up with a concept art sketch within an
hour. The above is what I had done.



Comments
Post a Comment