3D Modelling / Exercises

29.8.2022 - 19.9.2022 (Week 1 - Week 4)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
3D Modelling / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises

Jump Links


LECTURES

WEEK 2

On week 2, we were introduced to Blender. Mr Kamal taught us about the interface of the software so that we can smooth things out better. We had 2 class exercises.

Fig 1.1 Snowman (5.9.2022)

We made a simple snowman in Blender to help us familiarize with basic transformation tools like move, rotate, and scale.


Fig 1.2 Table (5.9.2022)

Then, we did a table with a plate of fruits on it to practice parenting in Blender. 

WEEK 3

Fig 1.3 Week 3 Notes (12.9.2022)

Non-Destructive Modelling

Fig 1.3 Modelling cube using simple deform (12.9.2022)

Mr Kamal taught us to use simple deform to model the objects into a more complex shape. It was a little challenging at first, but I got used to it after a few tries. 

WEEK 4 

Fig 1.4 Week 4 Notes (19.9.2022)


INSTRUCTIONS


Exercise 1: Model Blocking of Primitive Objects 

Fig 2.1 Exercise 1 Instructions (12.9.2022)

For exercise 1, we are to model any object using the basic shapes in Blender. Later on, we have to assign materials and shade the objects. 

Attempt 1

Fig 2.2 Snowman without shading (5.9.2022)

This is the snowman that I created on last week class. Mr Kamal taught us how to assign materials to objects using the snowman. 


Fig 2.3 Assigning Materials (12.9.2022)

I assigned materials to the snowman by playing around with the settings such as color, metallic, and roughness. 


Fig 2.4 Shading (12.9.2022)

I tried out different lightings and shadows in Blender to achieve the desired outcome. 


Fig 2.5 Snowman Outcome (12.9.2022)

I adjusted the camera angle and rendered the image. This is the final look of the snowman. 

Attempt 2

Fig 2.6 References (13.9.2022)

I decided to make a second attempt for exercise 1. I wanted to make a toy vehicle, so I looked for references online. 


Fig 2.7 Modelling (15.9.2022)

At the end I chose to model a lorry. Since we are just using the basic shapes, I tried grouping some of them to make a more complicated shape, like the parts above the front tires of the lorry. 


Fig 2.8 Joining Objects (16.9.2022)

I found a tutorial on how to join objects in blender, and I decided to try it out. It turns out quite nice. 


Fig 2.9 Assigning Materials (16.9.2022)

Then, I assigned materials to the toy lorry. I wanted to color it as natural wood color at first, but I felt that it looks rather boring. So, I tried combining complementary colors, like red and green, to achieve the child-like mood. 


Fig 2.10 Trying out Bevels (16.9.2022)

I looked for tutorials to see how I could round some parts of the edges, as I felt that they look too stiff. The solution is to add bevels. I tried it on the top green part of the lorry, and also a little on the bumper. I quite like how it looks. However, I found that the tool is somehow difficult to use. I should spend some time on my own to learn more about it. 


Fig 2.11 Final Output (17.9.2022)

I adjusted the lighting and shadows. When I am satisfied, I rendered the image. 

Shapes Used:
- Cube
- Cylinder
- UV Sphere
- Plane

Final Exercise 1: Model Blocking of Primitive Objects

Fig 2.12 Final Exercise 1 :Model Blocking of Primitive Objects - PNG (17.9.2022)


Exercise 2: Non-Destructive Modeling 

Fig 3.1 Exercise 2 Instructions (12.9.2022)

For exercise 2, we are to model an animal using the non-destructive method. The final output should be in low polygonal model. 


Fig 3.2 Reference by Jonathan Kuo on ArtStation (20.9.2022)

Before I start, I looked for references online. I found this image of a horse's construction and anatomy by Jonathan Kuo on ArtStation. This is the one that I am going with for this exercise. 


Fig 3.3 Modeling Body (21.9.2022)

First, I started by modeling the front part of the body using the modifiers. It wasn't too difficult, as we have tried doing it in class last week. 


Fig 3.4 Array and Curve Modifier (21.9.2022)

After modeling the first shape, I used the array modifier to duplicate the shapes. I couldn't find a way to edit the individual shapes (perhaps this function is not available), so I created another cube to make the back part of the body. Then, I added a bezier curve and linked the shapes together. 


Fig 3.5 Parent (24.9.2022)

The legs are created from cylinders, edited using the basic transformation tools and modifiers. As the legs will have some rotations for the pose, I parented the parts so that it will be easier. I need to change the pivot point of the individual parts. Before that, I applied the modifiers to the objects, so that the shapes will not alter as I move the pivot points. 


Fig 3.6 Lattice (24.9.2022)

As the ears have a much complex shape, I used lattice instead of simple deform modifier to create them. It was quite fun manipulate the lattice. However, sometimes I tend to realize that I do not have enough subdivisions for the lattice in the middle of modeling the objects, which I should pay more attention to learning it. 


Fig 3.7 Assigning Materials (24.9.2022)

I made some minor adjustments to make the model look even more like a horse. Later on, I assigned materials to it. I reduced roughness for the brown material, as I want to present the reflective surface of a horse's hair. As for the hooves, I increased the roughness. 


Fig 3.8 Auto Smooth (24.9.2022)

I wasn't sure how to auto smooth the model at first, even though it is mentioned in the instruction. I coincidentally found a video explaining the differences between shade smooth and auto smooth. So, I followed the tutorial to auto smooth the model.


Fig 3.9 Added tail and hair (24.9.2022)

I added a tail and hair to the horse, as I felt that it looks like a deer without them. For the tail, I added another bezier curve and tapered the top part a little to create the shape. As for the hair, I manipulated a cube using the basic transformation tools and modifiers. 


Fig 3.10 Final Output - front (24.9.2022)

I adjusted the lighting and shadow and rendered the image. This is the final output. 


Fig 3.11 Final Output - back (24.9.2022)

This is the final output from a different camera angle. 

 Final Exercise 2: Non-Destructive Modeling

Fig 3.12 Final Exercise 2: Non-Destructive Modeling (front) - PNG ( 24.9.2022)


Fig 3.13 Final Exercise 2: Non-Destructive Modeling (back) - PNG ( 24.9.2022)


Exercise 3: Modeling from Cylindrical Shape 

Fig 4.1 Exercise 3 Instructions (19.9.2022)


Fig 4.2 References (28.9.2022)
Kindly click on the images for the sources

I looked for references on Pinterest. I found ceramic objects really interesting, so I tried looking for images of the objects. 


Fig 4.3 Rough Sketch of Composition (28.9.2022)

I sketched out my idea of the composition roughly on a piece of paper. Since I just need a brief idea of the arrangement of the objects, I did not drew it very precisely. Rough sketches help me to think better.


Fig 4.4 Modelling - Vase 1 (28.9.2022)

First, I modelled a vase according to the reference image. I didn't took a lot of time on this, as the shapes is quite simple. 


Fig 4.5 Modelling - Vase 2 (28.9.2022)

I modelled another vase. The second was harder than the first one, as the shape is more curvy. I need to adjust the wireframes to get the smooth curve. 


Fig 4.6 Modelling - Candle Stand (28.9.2022)

I decided to model a candle. I started by modelling the stand of it. This is the most complicated object I made in this exercise, but the process was really fun. 


Fig 4.7 Modelling - Candle (28.9.2022)

Then I modelled the candle and attach it to the candle stand that I made earlier. 


Fig 4.8 Modelling - Candle Wick (28.9.2022)

I separated the candle wick, as I might want to assign different materials to the candle and the wick later on. 


Fig 4.9 Modelling - Plate (28.9.2022)

Then I modelled a plate. I chose to model a somewhat modern and simplistic ceramic plate. It is a little difficult to find a reference image that I could place it behind the object and model, as there are little images from the side angle of this kind of plate. However, I still managed to model it. 


Fig 4.10 Plate Solidify Modifier (28.9.2022)

I added a solidify modifier to add thickness to the plate. I also checked the wireframes to make sure they are not overlapping.


Fig 4.11 Modelling - Tea cup (28.9.2022)

Then, I modelled a tea cup. Instead of the western style, I chose the East Asian style of tea cup, as I like the curvy shape of the body of the cup. 


Fig 4.12 Tea cup - Extrude face along normal (28.9.2022)

Instead of the solidify modifier, I tried using the other method, which is extrude face along normal. I also checked the wireframes to ensure that they are not overlapping. I felt that the two methods are more or less the same visually, except that I can still undo the solidify modifier.


Fig 4.13 Assigning Materials (29.9.2022)

Then, I assigned materials to the modelled objects. I want to go with a muted and soothing color scheme for the objects. Some of the objects are glossy, and some have matte texture. 


Fig 4.14 Arranging Objects (28.9.2022)

Later on, I arranged the objects according to the composition in my rough sketch and made some minor adjustments. 


Fig 4.14 Closeups of Individual Objects (30.9.2022)

This is the compilation of the closeup images of the individual objects. 


Fig 4.15 Final Output (30.9.2022)

After that, I adjusted the lighting and shadow, and rendered the image. This is the outcome.

Final Exercise 3: Modelling from Cylindrical Shape

Fig 4.16 Final Exercise 3: Modelling from Cylindrical Shape (30.9.2022)


Exercise 4: Modeling Knife 

Fig 5.1 Exercise 4 Instructions (3.10.2022)


Fig 5.2 Modelling from Cylinder (3.10.2022)

I started from a cylinder. Mr Kamal had taught us to use the difference boolean to create a hole in an object. The boolean is very similar to the path finder tool in Illustrator, so it wasn't too hard for me to understand. Then, I created the other parts by extruding the faces of the cylinder. 


Fig 5.3 Creasing (3.10.2022)

After getting the basic shape of the Karambit, I used the knife tool to create edges, to crease some parts of the knife. I encountered an issue in my first attempt, which is the loop cut will not form a closed loop, and I couldn't figure out what is wrong. I solved the problem by remaking the model. 


Fig 5.4 Mirror and Subdivision Modifier (5.10.2022)

I added a mirror modifier to mirror the other half of the Karambit. Then, I shaded smooth the model and added a subdivision modifier.  


Fig 5.5 Modelling handle (5.10.2022)

I duplicated the modelled knife, and used the knife tool to cut out the shape of the handle. The excess faces were removed, and I extruded the face that I want. 


Fig 5.6 Adding screws (5.10.2022)

I decided to add screws for the knife. I wanted to make more details to the screws, but it did not turn out nice as my skills is very limited. So, I remained the spheres as they are. 


Fig 5.7 Shading (7.10.2022)

I found the texture of the Karambit in the original image really interesting and I wanted to try making it. So, I looked for tutorial on YouTube to create the texture. Even though it didn't turn out exactly the same as the image, it looks quite nice and I like it. 


Fig 5.8 Final Output (8.10.2022)

I adjusted the position of the knife as well as the lighting, and rendered the image. This is the final output.

Final Exercise 4: Modelling Knife

Fig 5.9 Final Exercise 4: Modelling Knife (8.10.2022)


FEEDBACK

WEEK 11

Exercise 1: Attempt 1 looks good. Good attempt on project 1, be careful with overlapping the shapes, but the wireframe I showed looks fine. 

Exercise 2: Nice attempt, currently the best. 

Exercise 3: The composition is good, the models are simple but presentable. Currently the best.

Exercise 4: Looks great, but the top part seems not subdivided. The color of the handle doesn't really blend with the metal, try a darker color. 


REFLECTION

Exercise 1 was quite fun, as it was my first time using Blender. Despite I had watched some tutorials during the semester break, it feels very different when I use it. I am still not quite familiar with the software, such as the tools and the shortcut keys. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1