Information Design / Project 2: Motion Graphic

21.1.2022 - 25.2.2022 (Week 3 - Week 8)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 2


Jump Links


LECTURES

WEEK 2

Practical: Kinetic Typography

Fig 1.1 Week 2 Practical: Kinetic Typography #1 (15.1.2022)


Fig 1.2 Week 2 Practical: Kinetic Typography #2 (15.1.2022)


INSTRUCTIONS


Exercise 3: Kinetic Typography

Our group decided to choose the song "Enemy" by Imagine Dragons and J.I.D. for this exercise. First we split the lyrics and each of us will animate one part.


Fig 2.1 Lyrics breakdown (18.1.2022)

Final Exercise 3: Kinetic Typography

Fig 2.2 Final Exercise 3: Kinetic Typography (25.1.2022)


Exercise 4: Motion Graphic Chart

In exercise 4, we were to animate a chart based on the information we are given. 

Fig 3.1 Task given (18.2.2022)
 


Fig 3.2 Color palette


Fig 3.3 Bounce effect tutorial

I want to create a bounce effect for the title. This is the tutorial I found on YouTube which is very helpful.

Final Exercise 4: Motion Graphic Chart

Fig 3.4 Final Exercise 4: Motion Graphic Chart (28.1.2022)


Project 2: Animated Instructable Poster

Fig 4.1 Final Project 1: Instructable Poster (11.2.2022)

We were tasked to animate the instructable poster done in Project 1 into a motion graphic.

Fig 4.2 Drawing in Illustrator (12.2.2022)

First, I transferred the needed visuals to a new Illustrator file, to be animated later in After Effects. Then I drew some additional assets that I did not have in the still poster. This did not took me too much time, as I already had most of the illustrations done in the previous project.


Fig 4.3 Release to Layers (Sequence) (12.2.2022)

After that, I separated each layers that I want to animate using the technique learned in semester 1. I spilt them into 3 files, as it will be less complicated for me, I won't get confused by all the layers


Fig 4.4 Animating in After Effects (13.2.2022)

After separating the layers, I import the files into After Effects and start animating. I was unable to animate the layers at first and I am not sure what is the problem, but the problem was solved by renaming the Illustrator files.


Fig 4.5 Animated Instructable Poster - with audio (15.2.2022)

After finish animating, I looked for sound effects and background music online. The background music I used is "Modern Attempt" by TrackTribe, downloaded from YouTube Studio audio library. I chose this because it gives me the vibe of cooking games. The sound effects are downloaded from freesound.org (links to sound effects can be found under description in my video).


 
 Fig 4.6 Amended Animated Instructable Poster (23.2.2022)

I made some minor adjustments at 0.13, 0.37, 0.41, 0.55, 0.59 and 1.00. The above is the final outcome.


Final Project 2: Animated Instructable Poster


 
 Fig 4.7 Final Project 2: Animated Instructable Poster (23.2.2022)


REFLECTION

I felt that the process of animating a motion graphic can get annoying sometimes, because I will need to repeat watching the same part several times, and make adjustments to the timing. It takes a lot of time for me to experiment to make it better. Despite that, when I completed the whole video, it is really happy to see that I had brought the still poster to life. Since I will be taking 3D animation as specialization, I should make myself enjoy the process of animating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1