Information Design / Project 1: Instructable Poster

21.1.2022 - 25.2.2022 (Week 3 - Week 8)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Instructable Poster

Jump Links



INSTRUCTIONS

Project 1: Instructable Poster

We were tasked to create an infographic poster from a video uploaded by Pasta Grannies on Youtube.

1. Information Breakdown

Fig 1.1 Chosen Pasta Grannies video

The video that I had chosen is a recipe of "pasta di casa" (homemade pasta) by Marietta. I chose this video because I like the positivity and energy of this 98 years old lady, it makes me feel happy when watching the video.


Fig 1.2 Information Breakdown (25.1.2022)

I watched the video several times to break down the process of making this dish, and to see what elements can be used in my poster.

2. Sketch

Fig 1.3 Reference

This artist have many infographic poster designs which has this similar style. I like how the artist present the data, and he was able to fit so many information in one poster. 


Fig 1.4 Sketch (2.2.2022)

My sketch is quite different from the reference. After making a few amendments, this is the sketch that I am the most satisfied with. I made the sauce pouring from the top, as I felt it makes the food looks delicious. 

3. Digitizing

Fig 1.5 Creating Minced Parsley Scatter Brush (3.2.2022)

Fig 1.6 Minced Parsley Details (3.2.2022)

The recipe has ingredients such as minced parsley, chopped basil, grated cheese, etc. So, to save some time, I created scatter brushes for these ingredients, and rearrange them into desired visuals. The most difficult part of this process is to adjust the settings of the brush, it is all about experimenting, but it was quite fun.


Fig 1.7 Progress 1 (6.2.2022)

I planned to decide on the color palette later when I am done with the poster. I digitized roughly according to my sketch. However, I found it too packed and looks a little difficult to digest the information. So, I made some adjustments.


Fig 1.8 Progress 2 (7.2.2022)

I found the arrangement of the ingredients in the previous version (Fig 1.7) looks disturbing as they are not able to perfectly aligned to each other. So, I tried removing the illustrations of the ingredients to solve this problem and also give the poster more space. I like how it turns out, the information looks easier to read.


Fig 1.9 Color palette reference

This is the color palette I found which I think will be suitable for my poster. However, I only used this as reference, I adjusted most colors to achieve what I imagined.


Fig 1.10 Final Outcome (11.2.2022)

At last, I decided to make a light green gradient for the background, to create contrast with the orange-red pasta sauce. The top part of the gradient is slightly yellowish, to create the upbeat feeling that the granny has.

Final Project 1: Instructable Poster

Fig 1.11 Final Project 1: Instructable Poster - JPG (11.2.2022)


REFLECTION

This project was harder than I thought. I was struggling to come up with a nice poster layout at the beginning, but I think the outcome isn't too bad. The most time-consuming part was drawing the minced ingredients, even if most of them are not in the poster at last. I definitely need to spend more time on my own learning this in order to improve, as infographic is a common tool nowadays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1