Information Design / Exercises

4.1.2022 - 21.1.2022 (Week 1 - Week 3)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises


Jump Links

LECTURES

WEEK 1 (4.1.2022)

Exercises & Project Briefing 

Individual (60%)
Exercises (20%)
Exercise 1: Quantify Data (10%)
Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H (10%)

Project 1: Instructable Poster (20%)

Project 2: (20%)
Exercise 3: Kinetic Typography (5%)
Exercise 4: Weather Forecast (5%)
Project 2: Motion Graphic

Group (40%)
Final Project - group (30%)
E-portfolio Blog - individual (10%)

WEEK 1 (6.1.2022)

What is Motion Graphics?

Motion Graphics
  • Graphics in movement
  • Composition + Animation
Composition = Graphics + Typography
Animation = Movement + Rhythm

Motion Graphics Design Process

Step 1: Write a script that tell a story

Step 2: Storyboard while you brainstorm the visual treatment

Step 3: Take your storyboards into design

Step 4: Animate the final designs


Storyboard for motion graphics: Sequence of sketches provide visual reference for key scenes.
Previsualization: Visual script → Breakdown (scenes + running times)


Moodboard → Organize inspiration & references

Motion Graphic Recommendation

Fig 1.1 Motion Graphic #1
Brief History of Coffee by swell.tv

Although this video is quite short, which is only about half a minute, it really impressed me. The transitions of each frame is very smooth and creative, which makes me repeat watching the video with slower playback speed. You can tell that the creator definitely put a lot of effort in this 36 second motion graphic video. The assets are also well-crafted, though they are quite simplified. I especially like the textures that the creator added on the surfaces, it makes the visual even interesting and appealing. 

I am inspired to explore more about After Effects to learn to create amazing things. While watching this video and scrolling through the comments, I discovered a useful tutorial which is to create a 3D effect motion in After Effects. I wish that I could fully understand how is this video make by watching tutorials from YouTube. 


Fig 1.2 Motion Graphic #2
Apple WWDC 2013 Keynote Intro by buck.co

This is a motion graphic for Apple WWDC 2013. What I like about this video is that it is minimalistic (which matches Apple's concept), and yet it still successfully convey the message. My favorite moment of this video is from 0:40. I am amazed by how the creators uses circles to express each word, it is fascinating. The whole video is very satisfying to look at that I literally looped it. This motion graphic may look "simple", but it is definitely not.

From this motion graphic, I am inspired to create something less realistic. Take the video above as an example, the creator uses circles to express words instead the original form of them. I should be more explorative instead of setting boundaries to myself, especially in my design career. 


Fig 1.3 Motion Graphic #3
Make it better uploaded by MotionDesignCommun

This motion graphic video is a little different from the ones we usually see. It focuses on the typography, at the same time creating graphics with the text. The sound effect of this video plays an important role, even though there is no human voice over. I like how each movement matches the beat, and it is a really clean work. I got goosebumps starting from the 56th second, when "I'm" turns into "you're", and then becomes "we're". I think this is the main message of this video, which is to encourage us to do better and don't give up.

This video inspires me to pay attention to the sound design. It is a very important part of a motion graphic which could directly affect viewers' impression and should never be neglected. Typography is also a visual element which could be played around creatively, it doesn't necessarily to be the "supporting role" of a motion graphic.

WEEK 2 (11.1.2022)

L.A.T.C.H.
L: location
A: Alphabetical
T: Timeline
C: Categories
H: Hierarchy


INSTRUCTIONS


Exercise 1: Quantify Data

Fig 2.1 Data - Yellow Buttons (4.1.2022)

These are the buttons borrowed from Ms Anis. I started by sorting them according to number of holes, sizes and textures.


Fig 2.2 Data Sorting and Arrangement (4.1.2022)


Fig 2.3 Data Sorting and Arrangement (4.1.2022)


Fig 2.4 Sketches (5.1.2022)

We have to return the buttons to Ms Anis before leaving. I sketched out some designs before class, so that I can save some time in class. I think the radial design looks interesting, I want to try it out.


Fig 2.5 Present Visually - First draft (6.1.2022)

I drew roughly according to my sketch. However, I found it a little bit complicated to understand. So, I tried flipping the design vertically, and I achieve the outcome shown in Fig 2.6.


Fig 2.6 Presented Visually - Second draft (13.1.2022)

I think this is easier to understand compared to Fig 2.5, as the reading flow is from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, which is closer to the way we usually read.


Final Exercise 1: Quantify Data

Fig 2.7 Final Exercise 1: Quantify Data - JPEG (14.1.2022)



Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H.

For exercise 2, we were tasked combine and utilize the L.A.T.C.H. principles into an infographic poster using the chosen data.

I decided to use Pokémon as my data, because it reminds me the sweet memories of mine as a child. At the very beginning I did thought of using other data, but I didn't manage to find the desired images. So I just go with Pokémon, it works perfectly as well.

1. Visual Research

Fig 3.1 Artwork by @leaphere on Instagram

I like the artist using Nintendo Switch and Gameboy Color as part of the visual.


Fig 3.2 Pokéball series artwork by @shattered.earth on Instagram

The artist made many versions of Pokéball, and they all look so good!


2. Sketch

Fig 3.3 Rough Sketch (14.1.2022)

I drew a few sketches. I decided to go with the Pokéball idea, as the Pokéball is really iconic and I think the sketch looks interesting. This idea was inspired by Polly Pocket compact (Fig 2.4).


Fig 3.4 Polly Pocket compact - inspiration


3. Digitizing

Fig 3.5 Digitizing in Illustrator (15.1.2022)

I started by drawing the visuals in Illustrator. Then, import the vectors as smart object in Photoshop to compile the information.


Fig 3.6 Pokéball Reference

I got reference of Pokéball online, so that my drawing will be more accurate.


Fig 3.7 Chosen Pokémons (16.1.2022)

These are the Pokémons that I had chosen, they are from Akala Island in Alola dex. I chose them because they are different types, and their colors vary from each other.


Fig 3.8 Process 1 (16.1.2022)

When I have the basic shape of the Pokéball, I tried arranging the visuals into the poster in Photoshop. This is my first attempt. I found the four circles around look too "neat", it makes the poster look less interesting. So, I adjusted the sizes and and the placement a little.


Fig 3.9 Process 2 (17.1.2022)

I reduced the size of the Pokéball and arranged the four circles to look more randomly placed. I also changed the border color of the circles, matching the respective Pokémons. I drew the lines connecting the circles and the location, to show that the Pokémons can be found at that place. Icons indicating the types of Pokémon are also added.


Fig 3.10 Process 3 (18.1.2022)

For the background, I added a thin layer of purple around the poster and a little yellow in the middle, as I felt the background of the previous version looks flat.


Fig 3.11 Process 4 (20.1.2022)

I darkened the green and blue circle, as the previous colors seem to be blending into the background. I also added noise to the background to give it some texture. 


Fig 3.12 Process 5 (21.1.2022)

I reduced the size a little to give the poster some space to breathe. I wanted to add some descriptions, but it will look crowded. So, I added "Akala Island" to the poster, which is the island that the Pokémons are.


Fig 3.13 Process 6 (21.1.2022)

I asked for my friends' opinion. They suggested me to add gradients to the Pokéball to make it more 3D. I also added a Hue/ Saturation adjustment layer to bump up the saturation. 


Final Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H.

Fig 3.14 Final Exercise 2: L.A.T.C.H. - JPG (21.1.2022)


REFLECTION

I was not familiar with infographics before the semester. Through exercise 1 and the lectures in class, I have gained some basic understandings of this topic. Exercise 1 was quite fun to do, because we are doing everything manually, which is less common after experiencing last semester. For exercise 2, I also enjoyed the process, though working on Illustrator and Photoshop at the same time was somehow annoying, but I had a lot of fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1