Digital Photography and Imaging / Project 1

30.8.2021 - 18.9.2021 (Week 2 - Week 4)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Digital Photography and Imaging / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1A & 1B


Jump Link

INSTRUCTION

Physical Collage
1. Choose and identify your collage's design elements to be cut out and compose it into your own concept & story.
2. Pre-compositing your collage's design elements into a composition.
3. Take 3 photos of your collage's design pre-composition and insert it in the section below.
4. Submit (Turn In) this W2 _TUTORIAL

Digital Collage
1. Download all the images here to your computer:
2. Follow this tutorial demo as reference to create your digital collage:
3. Create 3 different composition digital collages from the images that you've downloaded.
4. Create A4 canvas size (vertical) on Photoshop and start to do the compositions.
5. Take 3 photos of your digital collage compositions.


Project 1A - Physical Collage

Step 1: Cut out design elements
1. Explore and search for any interesting graphics from old magazines or any printed materials.
2. Cut the shapes of pictures that you are choosing.
3. Repeat the steps to collect your cut out design elements.

Step 2: Pre-compositing 
1. Find an interesting background canvas
2. Start compositing the cut out design elements
3. Play around with the composition and layer arrangement.

Step 3: Final Composition
1. Once you're satisfied with your pre-compositing, start glueing the cut out based on the layer by layer arrangements.
2. Document your work in progress on each step and upload it to your E-Portfolio blogs for the weekly content update.
3. Take photo of your collage.


Fig 1.1 Tools I used (29.8.2021)

Fig 1.2 Materials I gathered (29.8.2021)

Pre-composition #1
Fig 2.1 Physical collage pre-composition #1 (30.8.2021)

I'm trying to make something aesthetic, but I think it did not turn out well. It looks too simple and blank. I will need more practice to improve my sense of composition.

Pre-composition #2

Fig 2.2 Physical collage pre-composition #2 (30.8.2021)

Among three compositions, I think this one is better. However, the right side of the frame looks empty and I didn't know what to add. Mr Martin suggests to move the flower and the word a little more right, and maybe add something for more layers.


Pre-composition #3


Fig 2.3 Physical collage pre-composition #3 (30.8.2021)

This looks like there is something still missing, and the color scheme isn't really harmonious. The composition is too simple. So I need to practice in order to improve.

Process of Each Composition

 
  Fig 2.4 Process of Each Composition (15.9.2021)

Final Outcome

Fig 2.5 Physical Collage Final Outcome - JPEG (6.9.2021)

I change the base from light purple to beige color, as the overall looks more saturated on beige. I also added another layer underneath to make it look more balanced. 


Fig 2.6 Physical Collage Final Outcome - PDF (6.9.2021)


Project 1B - Digital Collage

Composition #1

Fig 3.1 Digital collage composition #1 (8.9.2021)

The concept of this composition is a giant betta fish appear in the sky, and people are looking at it. I exaggerated the relationship between the gigantic fish and the tiny humans to achieve a more shocking feeling. I also tried using the golden ratio in this composition.

Composition #2

 Fig 3.2 Digital collage composition #2 (10.9.2021)

This looks kind of similar with composition #1. The concept is time-travelling, and the fish is like the time keeper. The train part, I made three layers, one black and white, one red and one original to indicate time-travelling.

Composition #3

Fig 3.3 Digital collage composition #3 (11.9.2021)

Composition 3 is about war. Overall I gave it a monotonous tone, and red in contrast as blood. I didn't plan to do this, this was inspired by one of the images given. I was suddenly curious about what was written in the newspaper image, and I found out that it was about world war 2. I think it would be interesting to create something about war, so I did this.

Process of Each Composition

Fig 3.4 Process of Each Composition (15.9.2021)

Final Outcome

Fig 3.5 Digital Collage Final Outcome - JPEG (15.9.2021)

Mr Martin said my second composition looks incomplete, I also agreed with that. So, I tried adding some text by overlapping newspapers. I also added the rubber plant at the top right corner to achieve balance in my composition. I didn't add something more to the half bottom part, because it will look too crowded.


Fig 3.6  Digital Collage Final Outcome - PDF (15.9.2021)

Week 4 Practical - Adjustment Layers & Filters

For our practical class this week, we are tasked to try out adjustment layers in Photoshop on our final digital collage.

Final Digital Collage

Fig 4.1 Digital Collage Best Composition (15.9.2021)

This is the digital collage I used to try out adjustment layers.

Adjustment Layers

Fig 4.2 Digital Collage Added Adjustment Layers - Process 1 (15.9.2021)

I started from adjusting the brightness and contrast.


Fig 3.3 Digital Collage Added Adjustment Layers - Process 2 (15.9.2021)

I added a layer of color fill and adjusted the opacity. I'm using brown for this layer.


Fig 3.4 Digital Collage Added Adjustment Layers - Process 3 (15.9.2021)

In Fig 6.4, I added a layer of hue and saturation, color balance and exposure. It's almost close to what I imagine, except the overall is too red.


Fig 3.5 Digital Collage Added Adjustment Layers - Process 3 (15.9.2021)

Then, channel mixer has been added. This closer to my expectation, but I want it more dull.


Fig 3.6 Digital Collage Added Adjustment Layers - Final Look (16.9.2021)

This is what I get after adding color lookup and gradient map layer. I made the overall tone slightly brown, to give it a more retro style.


Fig 3.7 Adjustment Layers that I used (16.9.2021)

I didn't use all the adjustment layers in one piece, because some are not suitable, and it will probably be too much.


FEEDBACK

Physical collage: Design 2 is better, but there is still room for improvement. Try moving the flower and the word right, and add something so that it doesn't look too centralized.

Digital collage: Design 2 stands out more, try adding something more to make it more complete.


REFLECTION

This was actually my first time doing collage in my entire life, I had never done it before in school. To be honest, compositing is my all-time weakness. I am glad that I have this opportunity to master what I have not. Creating collages is a great way to improve composition sense, I should probably do more in the future. I personally think I had done better in project 1B, which I felt happy because I had learnt something in class and I am able to execute it. I wouldn't say this is my best, and I hope to see more improvement. For the adjustment layers, I would say this is a great experience. Personally, I like to edit photos on phone when I'm free, but the options are quite limited on phone. By learning this, I can edit photos in a more advanced way and make the outcome better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1