Design Principles / Exercise 3

7.9.2021 - 1.10.2021 (Week 3 - Week 6)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercise 3

Jump links




LECTURES

WEEK 3

Lecture 4 Harmony & Unity

1. Harmony
  • involves the selection of elements that share a common trait
  • becomes monotony without variety
  • the sense that all of the elements of the design fit together
2. Unity
  • repetition of particular elements throughout the design (colors, shapes, materials) → to pull the look together
  • occurs when elements are balanced and give a sense of oneness, creating a theme
  • elements are grouped together to bring attention to one detail
Fig 1.2 Unity

Scale and Proportion

  • design elements related to size
  • scale: the size of one object in relation to the other objects in a design
  • proportion: the size of the parts of an object in relationship to other parts of the same object
  • being used to depict / distract from the ideal

1. Scale
  • the size and dimension of figures and forms relative to a specific unit of measure
  • Actual measurement & Visual estimates based on comparison
  • Example: architectural drawings, scale models
  • to specify/illustrate details based on relative sizes of object
  • create dramatic results and visual interest
  • can be used to emphasize on something
Fig 1.3 Actual measurement

Fig 1.4 Visual estimates based on comparison
Fig 1.4 Bowling ball and bowling pins bigger than life size

2. Proportion
  • the relationship of two or more elements in a composition, how they compare to one another (size, color, quantity, degree, setting,...)
  • Ratio
  • harmonious when a correct relationship exists between elements with respect to size or quantity
Fig 1.5 Proportion used in cover design that achieved unity

Lecture 5 Symbol, Word & Image


1. Symbol
  • a sign, shape, or object that is used to represent something else
  • symbols can provide information equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even a whole story

Fig 2.1 Categories of Symbol (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)


i. Pictorial Symbols
  • image-related and simplified pictures
  • useful for educational material

Fig 2.2 Symbols of materials used by tailors (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)

Fig 2.3 Life Cycle of the Bumble Bee using Pictorial Symbols (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)

ii. Abstract Symbols
  • look like the object they represent, but have less details
Fig 2.4 Abstract Symbols of Washroom (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)


iii. Arbitrary Symbols
  • have no resemblance to the objects or ideas they represent
  • is invented with the meaning constructed
  • many are based on geometric shapes and colors
  • have to be learnt to understand the meaning
  • Example: hospital sign, share sign, answer/hang up call sign, etc.
Fig 2.5 Hospital Sign (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)



2. Word and Image
  • visual hierarchy and balance
  • suitable and relevant image
  • Typography: the design and arrangement of text to convey a message
Fig 2.6 Word and Image (screen grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture)


INSTRUCTION


In exercise 3, we are required to choose two principles from harmony, unity, symbol and word & image, and produce one design each.



VISUAL RESEARCH

Fig 3.1 Harmonious Interior Design

The designer used blue and orange to create a theme in this design. Every element is placed cleverly so that the viewers won't see two separated colors, but two colors complementing each other.


Fig 3.2 Harmonious Illustration

The colors and the repetitive use of similar floral patterns made the whole piece look harmonious. The artist also used the rule of thirds by putting the human figure at one of the points. 


Fig 3.3 Book cover design of Doctor Strange

The colors used in the design is harmonious. It also has fore, middle and background in the composition. There are also implied lines to guide the viewers to the main focus of this design.


IDEA EXPLORATION

1) Harmony

Fig 4.1 Inspiration (Screen Grab from Dr Jinchi's lecture) (20.9.2021)

I re-watched the pre-recorded lectures for a few times because I kept getting confused about harmony and unity. I was inspired by this artwork, which is one of the examples given in the lectures.


Fig 4.2 One of Jessica's artworks

This art style reminds me an artist I follow on Instagram @jessica_smith_illustration. When I was looking at more of her artworks, I suddenly had a feeling — this is harmony.


Fig 4.3 Harmony sketch (25.9.2021)

I drew a forest and I want to show a relaxing feeling. The tiger there was a sudden idea. When I walked pass the window, I saw my dog sleeping under the sun. Then, I thought of drawing a cat resting in the forest, but I think a tiger will be more suitable, so I drew it. 


Fig 4.4 Tiger reference


Fig 4.5 Painting attempt but failed (25.9.2021)

I actually tried painting the piece, but it was a total mess. The colors doesn't seem to be harmonious and it is too difficult to get the colors even. So I drew it again in illustrator.


Fig 4.6 Trying out colors (26.9.2021)

I tried out several color combination to create harmony in colors.


Fig 4.7 Harmony without gradients (27.9.2021)

Among all the colors I tried out, I think this looks harmonious and fun at the same time. I wanted to see if it will look better if I added gradients, so I immediately gave it a try.


Fig 4.8 Harmony with gradients (27.9.2021)

I think it still looks harmonious, though it doesn't look like the style I was trying to do at the beginning. Since the tiger is not a cartoonish style, I think adding gradients is better.    


Fig 4.9 Deciding final submission (28.9.2021)

During the feedback session, Dr Charles said one of these can be submitted as final. After comparison and feedback from my family, I decided to submit the one on the right, because it looks more attractive when compared to the one on the left.

Final Harmony

Fig 4.10 Final Harmony - JPEG (29.9.2021)

Rationale: I used colors and repetitive wavy shapes to create harmony in this design. The concept of this design is a tiger resting in the peaceful forest, and someone accidentally broke into its wonderland. A place where the tiger can be safe, without having to worry about starvation.

 Fig 4.11 Final Harmony - PDF (29.9.2021)

2) Symbol

Fig 4.12 Symbol Sketch 1 (21.9.2021)

My idea for symbol was inspired by Dr Charles during class. When he was giving feedback on others' work, he asked us to think of something unusual to design as a symbol, for example a symbol of love. I was thinking about it. How to express 'love' without a heart shape? I suddenly had this idea of drawing the love of a robot. People say robots have no feeling (excluding AI). What if they actually have feelings and have the ability to love someday? They will probably give something that is important to them to the ones they love. Therefore, I thought of drawing a robot handing his chip to someone.


Fig 4.13 Symbol sketch (21.9.2021)

I wanted to draw the whole robot with a chip in his hand at first, but I think the robot will be drawing to much attention from the chip. So, I decided to only focus on his hand and the chip.


Fig 4.14 Chip reference

I was digitizing according to my sketch, but I suddenly realized a chip doesn't look like that. So I looked for reference and made some changes to the chip. 


Fig 4.15 Symbol in black and white (25.9.2021)

The first version is in black and white, but I want to try coloring it.


Fig 4.16 Symbol with color comparison (26.9.2021)

This is the colored version. The one on the left, I think it looks a little empty and the feeling of love isn't strong enough. So, I tried adding a light orange circle underneath because blue and orange are complementary colors. I was surprised how a light orange circle can create such huge difference. When the two versions are placed together, the left one feels cold and emotionless. While the one on the right, the light orange circle gives a sense of warmth, just like how love feels. I personally think it looks like a candle glowing, it is small but warm.


Fig 4.17 B&W and colored version (28.9.2021)

During feedback session, Dr Charles said he like the black and white version. In my opinion, the black and white version does look nice, but when it comes to expressing the meaning of love, I think the colored one is stronger. So, I decided not to change. 


Final Symbol

Fig 4.18 Final Symbol - JPEG (28.9.2021)

Rationale: This is a symbol of the love of a robot, though robots are commonly known as emotionless. I was wondering what if robots have the ability to love someday? They would probably give something important to them to the ones they love. So I drew a robot handing it's chip to his loved one.

Fig 4.19 Final Symbol - PDF (28.9.2021)


FEEDBACK

Harmony: 
Applying gradients looks better, the one with pink background or the one with blue background will do.

Symbol: 
Interesting idea, I like the one in black and white, but the colored one is also fine.


REFLECTION

This exercise was fun to do, although I really struggled at the beginning. For harmony, I am quite satisfied with the outcome. To be honest, I am not very sensitive to colors and compositions, sometimes I can't tell which color looks better, or how to make a composition looks even interesting. Through this exercise, I think I have a little improvement on color harmony and composition, but I definitely need more practice.


For symbol, I like the idea a lot, I am also satisfied with the outcome. I wasn't planning to do it at first. When I suddenly had this idea of drawing the love of a robot, I thought it was really interesting and I must try it out. Through this, I get to be more familiar with some useful tools in illustrator.


Comments

  1. All 3 exercises showed some outstanding effort and study! keep up this trend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1