Digital Photography and Imaging / Exercises

23.8.2021 - 28.11.2021 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Moey Jo Min (0350567)
Digital Photography and Imaging / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Exercises

Jump links

LECTURES

LECTURES

WEEK 1

This is the first lesson of Digital Photography and Imaging for August intake 2021. Thus, Mr Martin briefed on what we will be learning throughout this module. For the first week, Mr Martin asked us to play the Bézier Game and look for three graphic work on Pinterest. We also need to prepare some materials to make physical collage before the second lesson.

WEEK 2

Composition

Today, we are introduced to composition. Composition is one of the basics of design, thus we have to master it in order to become a better designer.

1. Introduction to Basic Composition

 Composition

  • way to arrange things within the frame
  • can be seen in graphic, video, photography,...
  • helps to convey message more efficiently
1) Focal Point
  • key element → grab audiences' attention
  • straight-forward
  • how majority react?

2) Scale & Hierarchy
  • the bigger the size, the more dominant an element is
  • the element in front is more important
3) White Space (/empty space /negative space)
  • to balance out complicated and busy parts → helps your design to breathe
  • minimalism

2. Rule of Thirds

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/when-to-use-the-rule-of-thirds-in-photography-27291
Figure 1.1 Rule of Thirds

3. Golden Ratio

https://www.faena.com/aleph/how-to-compose-a-song-with-the-golden-ratio-and-the-fibonacci-sequence

Figure 1.2 Golden Ratio

  • shows flow 


WEEK 3

Paths, Masking & Layering

We are introduced to some basic tools in Adobe Photoshop, including the lasso tool, the polygonal lasso tool, the pen tool, magic wand, and the quick selection tool. We done a quick warm up during class using the tools introduced.

Fig 2.1 warm-up done during class to familiarize the tools

After that, Mr Martin wants us to try using the methods learnt and the materials given to do a 'rough' collage so that we are more familiar with the tools.

Fig 2.2 Collage done during class (6.9.2021)
This is definitely not a good collage, but I found doing this fun. I think I can try to explore more about Photoshop.

WEEK 4

Adjustment Layers & Filters

In this lesson, we learned about adjustment layers in Photoshop. Instead of learning by looking at the slides, Mr Martin asked us to do it together. There are a lot of variations of adjustment layer in Photoshop, we went through all of them during class.

Fig 3.1 Adjustment layer 1 (13.9.2021)
Fig 3.2 Adjustment layer 2 (13.9.2021)
Fig 3.3 Adjustment layer 3 (13.9.2021)

WEEK 5

Poster design development

Conceptual Poster Design

  • a conventional medium to convey information to the target audience
  • cluttered / straight-forward
  • Types of poster - brand awareness, advertising, public service announcement

Public Service Announcement (PSA)

  • to raise awareness of public on an issue

Project 2 briefing

1. Research about your topic

  1. Study and gather all related information about your topic
  2. Write a summary about your topic
  3. Highlight the key points of your summary
  4. Define the Title
  5. Define the Slogan
  6. Define the Details
  7. Define the Call For Action

2. Define your concept

  1. Create a section for each contents (title, slogan, details, call for action)
  2. Sketch your mock up poster
  3. Fill in with details

3. Start to develop your design projects

  1. Draft the digital poster based on your sketch
  2. Develop the composition techniques using Digital Photography & Graphic Design
  3. Apply color, typography, textures & effects
  4. Finalize your design with color correction

WEEK 6

We are given a more detailed brief on project 2, and we should start developing idea for our psa posters. For practical, we are tasked to recolor a black and white image.

WEEK 7

Color Theory

CMYK vs RGB

CMYK
  • Cyan, magenta, yellow, black (key)
  • used for printing
  • subtractive color mixing model

RGB
  • Red, green, blue
  • used for screen display
  • additive color mixing model

Hue, shade, tint and tone

Hue
  • the most basic of color term and denotes an object's color
Shade
  • a hue to which black has been added
Tint
  • a hue to which white has been added
Tone
  • a color to which black and white (or grey) have been added

Color Harmony

Monochromatic


Analogous
  • 3 colors located right next to each other on the color wheel

Complementary
  • colors are opposite on the color wheel
  • produce high contrast
Split-complementary
  • 3 colors
  • start with one color. find its complement and then use the 2 colors on either side of it
Triadic
  • evenly spaced around the color wheel and tend to be very bright and dynamic

The psychology of color

  • different colors convey different message
  • e.g.: red - excitement, love, energy ; blue - trust, peace, loyalty

Warm and cool colors

  • warm: red orange yellow
  • cool: green, blue, purple
Black
  • adds an air of sophistication and elegance, and also mystery
White
  • gives off an impression of clean, virtuous, healthy
  • pairs well with about anything, making it ideal as an secondary color

WEEK 9

Digital Surrealism

Realism vs Surrealism

Realism
  • Takes subject matters of the ordinary and common world which we call 'reality'
Surrealism
  • A twist on realism
  • explores the subconscious mind, with subject matter concentrating on dream-images
  • often aim to distort the ordinary and what we call reality
Dadaism
  • An anti war art movement with artworks that is satirical and nonsensical in nature
  • Salvador Dalí

Surrealism is a cultural movement focused on type of arts to express about the artist's idea themselves


How to start creating surrealism artworks?
1. Dream-like scenes and symbolic images
2. Unexpected, illogical juxtapositions
3. Bizarre assemblages of ordinary objects
4. Primitive or child-like designs

Capturing your dreams
sketch it out → find reference images (help in realizing your new idea)

Mindset during creation
1. Does this look real?
2. Make it happen of the best of your ability


WEEK 10

Intro to After Effects

After Effects

  • After Effects (Ae) is basically the 'video version' of Photoshop, it allows you to do things that can be done in Photoshop, and mainly to edit videos
  • mostly being used to make motion graphics and visual effects
Instead of going through the slides, Mr Martin asked us to try it out on our own. 



EXERCISES

WEEK 1

The Bézier Game


Fig 4.1 Stage 1

 Fig 4.2 Stage 2

The first few stages are some less complicated images. Therefore, it wasn't too challenging for me as I have experience in using the pen tool.


Fig 4.3 Stage 9

Fig 4.4 Stage 10

However, when it comes to images with more curvy lines, I could not manage to make a perfect curve. I definitely need more practice on this.


Fig 4.5 Final Score

This game was extremely helpful. Back in 2019, when I was first introduced to Adobe Illustrator in high school, our teacher ask us to use the pen tool without detailed explanation. I struggled a lot and I didn't know where to seek help. Through this game, I am able to learn more about the pen tool and master it by practicing.


Quick Update:
Fig 4.6 5th Try of Stage 9

I found this stage to be the most difficult for me. After several trials and errors, the final outcome is better than the one shown above. I will put more effort on mastering the pen tool in order to improve.


Three Graphic Work from Pinterest


Design #1
Fig 5.1 art by Ricky Linn

I like the two main colors used in this piece a lot, they look like strawberry and orange flavored soda. The composition of every element in this graphic work gives it a lively atmosphere, I feel like I'm listening to pop songs or something, it makes me happy and I want to dance along with it. What I found even interesting is that the artist erased the left eye of the woman in the picture, but it does not look weird. Instead of realistic hair, the artist uses a few simple brush strokes to represent hair, which I think is very creative. To sum up, I would say this is a successful graphic work.


Design #2
Fig 5.2 art by Kevin Lucbert

Compared to the previous graphic work, this is a less complicated piece. What I adore in this artwork is the combination of human and fishes. Since fishes live under water, I suppose the human in the piece is in water as well. When I look at the art, I feel my ears are 'clogged' by water. All I hear is the gurgling noise made by water. Fishes swimming pass through the human's body, like he doesn't even exist. Moreover, the color blue gives a sorrowful and lonely feeling. Although it is a simple piece, it is still able to express emotion, which I find fascinating.


Design #3
 Fig 5.3 art by Ignacio Fernandez (Instagram:@el_chiquito)
reposted by @graphicroozane on Instagram
I only manage to find the repost version of this artwork on Pinterest
click on the artist's Instagram to view more

From my point of view, this is a great graphic work, as the artist used colors and elements that represent Tokyo the best. Both warm color and cool color are used in this piece, and it produced a strong contrast which emphasizes the word "TOKYO". The artist uses sushi and a part of the fish's body as the letter 'O'. I only noticed that the sushi in the picture is the national flag of Japan after looking at this artwork a few times. Even the background color plays an important role in this graphic work. Imagine if the background color is just white, the whole piece will look a little bit empty. I am totally amazed by the artist's ideas and creativity.



WEEK 5

Exposure Editing

For week 5 practical, we are tasked to edit Shazam in Hearst Mansion using Photoshop.

Materials Given: 

Fig 6.1 Materials given: Hearst Mansion (20.9.2021)

Fig 6.2 Materials Given: Shazam (20.9.2021)

Process

Fig 6.3 Shazam after applying layering mask (20.9.2021)

First, crop Shazam out from the poster using the quick selection tool and apply layer mask.


Fig 6.4 Shazam after color match (20.9.2021)

Place Shazam in Hearst Mansion. Go to "Image > Adjustment > Match Color" to adjust Shazam's color.


Fig 6.5 Shazam added shadow (20.9.2021)

Use the brush tool to draw shadows. Next, go to "Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur" to blur the drawn shadow.


Fig 6.6 Shazam added reflection (20.9.2021)

Copy another layer of Shazam and rotate it. Crop unwanted part using "Paths". Adjust brightness and contrast of the reflection and add a little gaussian blur.


Final Outcome

Fig 6.3 Final Outcome: Shazam in Hearst Mansion (20.9.2021)

It was easier than I thought, the steps are also quite simple. What I found most challenging is the color matching part, but I think it wouldn't be difficult to master as long as I put in effort.


Reflection

This exercise was really fun and easy to learn. I had learnt how to match the color of an image to make it match with the background in Adobe Photoshop. I also understood how shadows and reflections are being added to make the image look even realistic. The knowledge I had gained in this exercise is very useful for many purposes, as I am able to edit other images through learning this. Moreover, I got the opportunity to understand more about Photoshop and what it can do while doing this exercise.


WEEK 6

Recoloring Black & White

For week 6 practical, we are given a black and white image to recolor it using Adobe Photoshop

Material Given: 

Fig 7.1 B&W image

Process

Fig 7.2 Added color to face (28.9.2021)

First, use the brush tool, pick a skin color and paint over the skin. Then, choose 'overlay' in blending mode.


Fig 7.3 Added lip color (28.9.2021)

Next, using the same method as the previous step, add color to lip.


Fig 7.4 Added hair color (28.9.2021)

Repeat the steps, apply color to the hair.


Fig 7.5 Added eye color (28.9.2021)

Add color to the eyes by using the same method. The color I used is a greyish blue.


Fig 7.6 Added shirt color (28.9.2021)

Like what I did previously, add the shirt color.


Fig 7.7 Added background color (28.9.2021)

Finally, fill the background layer with color, then create mask on that layer using the quick selection tool. Choose 'overlay' in the blending mode. I also adjusted the saturation of the background to make it less saturated.


Final Outcome

Fig 7.8 Final recolored image (28.9.2021)

Reflection

This exercise is very interesting and fun to do, I am able to turn a black and white photo into a colored photo. The steps are also easy to learn, the only thing that I need more practice is picking the accurate color to make the picture look like how it should be. Through this exercise, I am more familiar with the brush tool and the blending mode. 



WEEK 7

Recoloring Black and White

For week 7 practical, we are introduced to a more advanced way to recolor an black and white image, by using the 'select and mask' function.

Materials Given:

Fig 8.1 B&W image

Fig 8.2 Skin color reference

Fig 8.3 Hair color reference

Process

Fig 8.4 Color picked from references (4.10.2021)

First, use the eye dropper tool to pick color from the references, so that the color will be more accurate.


Fig 8.5 Hair colored (4.10.2021)

Use the quick selection tool to select the hair, create mask. Then, click on 'select and mask' and refine the edges. Create a solid color layer, replace the mask with the one selected the hair, and change the blending mode to either overlay or soft light.


Fig 8.6 Skin colored (4.10.2021)

Repeat the steps in Fig 8.5, color the skin.


Fig 8.7 Lips colored (4.10.2021)

Repeat the steps in Fig 8.5, color the lips.


Fig 8.8 Clothes colored (4.10.2021)

Repeat the steps in Fig 8.5, color the clothes.


Fig 8.9 Background colored (4.10.2021)

Repeat the steps in Fig 8.5, color the background.


Final Outcome

Fig 8.10 Final recolored image (4.10.2021)

Reflection

I like doing this exercise, though it requires a lot of concentration and somehow time consuming. It is very fun to see how a black and white image slowly being colored, it feels like I am bringing it alive. Through this exercise, I have learnt a more advanced way to recolor a black and white image, and also be more familiar with each selection tools.


WEEK 10 

After Effects - Animate

We were given a psd file with a completed composition, then we have to animate it in Adobe After Effects.

Material given:

Fig 9.1 Completed composition provided for exercise

Process


Fig 9.2 Typewriter animated (25.10.2021)

First, I animated the typewriter. I used the mask, subtract it at the beginning, and it shows up later.


Fig 9.3 Fencer animated (25.10.2021)

I made the fencer coming in the frame from right to left, using the position feature.


Fig 9.4 Shark animated (25.10.2021)

I also used the position feature for the shark, but I added opacity, so that it looks like the shark is fading in.


Fig 9.5 Projector animated (25.10.2021)

I used scale and rotation for the projector, the project scales up and then rotate.

Final Outcome

Fig 9.6 Final Animate Exercise (25.10.2021)

Reflection

It was a little hard at the beginning because I had never used After Effects before. After figuring out how things work, it became easier for me. It was a very fun exercise to do, because I had only done frame animation before, this is something new to me. I definitely need more practice on this to get familiar with it, and I hope to have improvement in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animation Fundamentals / Project 1

Animation Fundamentals / Exercises

3D Modeling / Project 1